Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans oil leaking out CV
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Trans oil leaking out CV Reply with quote

Been replacing the entire exhaust on my 86 syncro this week. WHAT A JOB!!! Anyway, I noticed I have trans oil leaking out the inner left CV boot. SO what's up with that? Could it be that little rubber cup/cover on the cv flange fell off? Gotta pull it.
BTW, HERE in WIS my S and S header only lasted 3 yrs with me making several addtional welds to it over the last 3 yrs. Bummer. If you are going to get one of those and you live in the salt ridden climate, get it ceramic coated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced that little cup type seal twice on the left side only, Redline synthetic gear oil for the syncro is thin, so the second time I used permatex. No more problems.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the seal work its way out/loose on yours? I am thinking of doing what you did or pulling another seal off of a trans I have in the garage and just swapping out.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceracer,
I just posted the same issue with my inner left CV last week. The CV was completely full of gear oil. I cleaned up the drive flange and pulled the plastic cup seal out and it looked perfect. I can't see why it was leaking. I am going to smear a little Ultra Grey on it when I install it tonight. Of course, this has lead to removing and cleaning all my CV's and finding they are original, with 220k on them. They were all pitted and sloppy. I cheaped out and went for 'reconditioned axles'. They already have me worried and I don't even have them in yet. I am repacking my old ones with new boots just in case.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am not fond of buying anything that is made in china. But the cost of cv's made in Germany are out of this world. I just spent a fortune on front axles for my syncro made in Germany. Crap, but the old ones are junk, 171000 miles and all are sloppy.
Well I am going to pull the cv and inspect, my thoughts are perhaps the plug came loose. Weird thing is it just started and now it leaves a spot when parked. It happenned real fast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: