Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

June 1952 molested split slow and painful refresh
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: June 1952 molested split slow and painful refresh Reply with quote

It was sad to read of your friends passing, but am glad you have his car as a remembrance of him. I'm sure you also enjoy the bus. My first vehicle was a hand me down 70 Westy from my Dad, I now have a 72 Westy as part of my collection.
Thank you for updating us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: June 1952 molested split slow and painful refresh Reply with quote

Well, i am not happy to say it like that, but life happened Smile
i married, bought a house, but that demanded funds so i sold all my cars. When i had to choose between a 30 years mortgage or ... not, guess what i chose.
My split is now in Belgium, a very cool guy has it and it shares a garage with other nice cars. It will get the needed attention and a good peaceful life.

However, you see VW bug never gets away. I got to buy the car of my friend Mircea (read about it in the past pages) who passed away sadly, then the Bluestar for trips with wife and upcoming kids, and the 70Westy.. why not, when there's plenty space in the garage.

This split has taught me a lot during all these years i owned it, i might be organizing a visit in the future with one of my cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: June 1952 molested split slow and painful refresh Reply with quote

I have just read all 21 pages. Wow, I'm blown away.
However, it is like watching a TV show that is cancelled but without a finale. Your signature doesn't show the split as still being with you, what happened since these last pictures?
You are an inspiration as I am about to being my own project 52, which while not as rough as yours was, is still going to be a challenge for me.
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing this in June, looks stunning Cool
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful. To me, somehow a wonderful reminder of your dear friend Mircea. I did not have the opportunity to meet him, but I miss him. Crying or Very sad
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double rainbow Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first days of autumn 2012... but man, spring is knocking on the door.
Hesisch Oldendorf, here we come! well.. preparing for now Very Happy

joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the Christmas tree and your car!
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Holidays pre 53 owners out there Smile
my VW family got bigger... a new addition is a euro semaphore march 1960 kombi bus.

this is my nos Christmas tree

eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John, hello guys
i am happy to let you know that the porch couch interior in the split is gone! replaced it today with a complete split 51-52 interior. Cool

Sweden market made it possible for me, a split interior in good shape was very hard to find even there. i just watched and got it at a very very affordable price, the only affected parts are the rear panels(rotten) and the door panels are a bit warped. will work my magic on them, already got out some deep rust stains and took out the first layer of dust. they even included the armrest in perfect shape and the ashtray base.

the only small downside (yes, i am picky Confused ) is that the interior came from an azure blue car, so it's the blue piping/grey color cloth. i was a bit sad because i had th rear panels already, but in brown piping so they won't really match.

pics will follow
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Wow, what a story. YOU, if anyone, can put it back together.

"All the kings horse and all the kings men....."

pssst ...er ..um ...John....remember...they couldn't put Humpty back together again.

Ok, bad quote... (actually that occurred to me after I posted it).

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

pssst ...er ..um ...John....remember...they couldn't put Humpty back together again.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car was bought by my friend from Germany 11 years ago for her birthday, even if her folks did not agree. She did paintings for the money, saved everything she could, and got the car. Then, first road, electric fire... next brake failure, next engine troubles etc. The car had home made everything: brake shoes, floors, heaterchannels, runningboards, shifter, fuel lines, brake lines, patches over patches over patches over rust... pop rivets, bad welds and a crumpled front windshield area that barely kept the windshield in. Ah, and crushed pan head, bent front beam and broken leaves springs, and patched clutch cable and.. you name it .. and a little extra! the radio enlarged hole was a breeze...
But she did not gave up, she used the car for her wedding, kept it running with a lot of efforts and non skilled mechanics.. and never gave up hope the toad will turn to prince again.

And it's my task to make sure Bubu will drive again, this time for real.
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the interesting story with the 64?

by the way im loving that rolling shot of the split
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to bump this thread...

cruising with the split on a sunny afternoon with some friends. what could be better?

and to add a bit of a technical note, even this is for splits only... herse's my current project ..highly abused and rusted 1964 bug, but with a nice story behind that worths every bruise and cut on my fingers.

more pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/mihaiapostol2007 in the BUBU albums.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to drive my beetle with 6volt all over europe for years. Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland, etc. maybe not 4000km at a time, but daily driver and 2000km drips all the time.

as long as you carry the requisite stuff you should be fine, carry a dizzy and a coil. reliability is really not so much of an issue, more what you are going to do if stuff does break, a 12 volt battery is easy to replace, 6volt not so much Sad

eurodub wrote:

right now i am happy i have the engine in the garage, the rest will follow naturally. i am a bit concerned that after i get to 6v i won't be able to do 3000-4000km trips like i do now, so i must be confident the engine i have is failsafe.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not finish the 25 hp engine yet. i want it as accurate as possible, right now i am only missing a star coil and a k manifold... joking! Laughing

the truth is the engine will require more work than you think, like: getting back to 6v, changing the gearbox as well, redo the rear apron, finding a new 6v battery, assembling a complete working starter out of 2-3 units i have in pieces.

right now i am happy i have the engine in the garage, the rest will follow naturally. i am a bit concerned that after i get to 6v i won't be able to do 3000-4000km trips like i do now, so i must be confident the engine i have is failsafe.

i can buy some ovals here but to be honest is hard having 2 cars, 3 or more would mean i have to neglect one of them
einsperren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: trade Reply with quote

Hey, If you want an oval to drive to those events I will make a trade for your ride HA! Did you get your new fuel pump and carb we traded on your auto yet? mine is on and criusing well . I love trading parts for parts. Thanks
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:

My split was, as usual the oldest car present, i'm starting to feel bad that no ovals or early cars are driving here.

Don't feel bad. You went to extreme steps to have a split to drive there.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: