Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing the transmission fluid
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
If the transmission is actually leaking gear oil, there will be evidence of that; so in that case I'd check periodically - like once a year - and top up if necessary.

Swing axle VWs can also leak at the boots or the rear axle seals.

x2. Best advice yet^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

If the transmission is actually leaking gear oil, there will be evidence of that; so in that case I'd check periodically - like once a year - and top up if necessary.

Swing axle VWs can also leak at the boots or the rear axle seals.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
Safety margin? I just check the fill hole a couple times a year. That's as safe as it gets for me. I do have some leakage. 3 or 4 ounces since I bought the car in 2012.

Tim

You'll know when it's low, shifting funny, making noise they are tough but like many parts of the VW the car will talk to you and gives clues that it needs service.

Not to beat an already dead horse, but the way I read this is that when the fluid gets to a certain low point it will start to give signs, whether it be noise, funny shifting etc, that it needs either oil added or changed, rather than open the fill hole several timds a year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

So here are aircraft jack, same principle just bigger would you tell the man no I'm not going to work under that jack I'm a puss?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We used to jack it up then run the landing gear up and down. It's called a gear swing.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

I was thinking about a couple of posts yesterday concerning jack stands and was surprised at what sounds to me like irrational fears. Having done it and seen others do it this way for 40 years I wondered how else could you work on your car. First place I worked had a three bay garage with two in ground lifts, state of the art built in 1969. These were the old center lift where hydraulics were in ground, you don't see them anymore because EPA didn't like fluid leaking into ground. Now you can purchase two post or four post, I like two post. A few scissor lifts around, I don't care for these at all to restrictive. Bumper lifts are out because everything is plastic now.

So Whats left? How do you get a car up high enough to work on it? Then I thought about what I'd seen for the last 30 plus years in aviation. How do you get a 767 up and work under it safely? Answer jackstands. Yep. It's the same thing just on a larger scale. You jack a specific points and nobody questions this, it's accepted practice. So I took a walk to find one jacked up and closest I came was this 737 with nose jack installed but not up. Don't be afraid to work on your car with jacks, be smart enough to locate them properly. As an aside I've seen and done this ------> place the wheels you take off as a block under the car so if it fell it would land on the wheels instead of you. Very Happy funny noises from low fluid level would be howling,squealing and shifting might be rough because sycronizers aren't getting enough lube.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on noises and shifting funny? I'd like to know. Like I originally said, at what point low would you estimate it starts to act weird. An ounce, a pint. When would you say you start doing damage by being low. I know vw has a margin for error in being topped off, to where it becomes bad for the trans when it starts getting low. I remember back in the late 90s people were complaining on another vw forum about the transaxle fluid being about 1/2" low from the side of the case fill plug, I'm also sure that there are tons of bugs and buses running around with gear oil not topped up. So zundfolge, what is your opinion? I hold it very highly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Wow senior discounts and AARP. Hell ya.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The red funnel fits all Toyotas and screws in leaving both hands free. The blue one does Lexus models.

How many different kinds of cars do you work on? Here I thought you were just a Volkswagen guru.

I got my first training in uncle Sams canoe club in 1978. If it's on wheels I'll look at it. Very Happy

Puts you at about 58 years old.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Safety margin? I just check the fill hole a couple times a year. That's as safe as it gets for me. I do have some leakage. 3 or 4 ounces since I bought the car in 2012.

Tim

You'll know when it's low, shifting funny, making noise they are tough but like many parts of the VW the car will talk to you and gives clues that it needs service.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The red funnel fits all Toyotas and screws in leaving both hands free. The blue one does Lexus models.

How many different kinds of cars do you work on? Here I thought you were just a Volkswagen guru.

I got my first training in uncle Sams canoe club in 1978. If it's on wheels I'll look at it. Very Happy
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

I forgot to add that my drain plug has a really slow drip. The case is not cracked. I don't want to overtighten those tapered threads. Anyone else have this?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Tim

Richard O'Brien
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

My procedure is similar to MI-Bug's method, using hose from the wheel well. I sit on a chair, as it takes a few minutes to fill with 2.5 litres of gear oil.

I use hose that fits snuggly into the fill plug opening:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

What kind of safety margin is built in to the oil level in a bug transmission? My transaxle is topped up to the bottom of the hole. But let's for instance say you developed a small leak, at what point of being low would you start to do damage to the tranaxle. Pint, 2 pints etc. I know on most cars there is an add and full line which on the newer VW's represents roughly a quart. Same with the engines in these cars. As long as your within the lines your OK, how about the trans, but how low before damage occurs.
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've always used the little pump that threads onto the gear oil bottle (with a little curved copper tubing hook to hold it into the fill hole), but I'm intrigued by this procedure, clever. I've saved the photo.

Does that funnel stay upright, or does it tend to flop over and you need to hold it during the process. I'd assume you'd hold with one hand (or get a helper) and have the bottles of gear oil opened in advance to expedite this.

The hose I used is pretty stiff and stayed upright when clamped to the fender. The funnel I used was pretty small, and given that the fluid is pretty thick, patience was a virtue when pouring it in. I would have skipped the funnel and hooked up the hose directly to the fluid bottle, but the Amsoil I used did not come with those fancy cone shaped squirt caps. In the end all worked fine. No muss to fuss.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Here's a different way as other mentioned it screws into oil bottle and you pump the fluid in by hand. Little off topic but there is a line of specialty funnels made for specific car makes. The red funnel fits all Toyotas and screws in leaving both hands free. The blue one does Lexus models.

And then there's this old fossil, it still works and this is what gas stations used as bulk gear oil dispenser. It holds several gallons and the hose is long enough to operate the hand crank while not having to be under the car.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Correct. MT-90.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
MI-Bug wrote:
Here's a pic of how I filled my transmission. Used a section of clear tubing, a funnel and a clamp. Then, let gravity do it's thing. It's full when the fluid starts to come out the fill port... when the car is level.

Same idea here, using my heater tube to hold up the trans oil bottle, with a hose going to a long neck funnel stuck in the filler hole:

I recognize that can, its Redline, that's synthetic
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

MI-Bug wrote:
Here's a pic of how I filled my transmission. Used a section of clear tubing, a funnel and a clamp. Then, let gravity do it's thing. It's full when the fluid starts to come out the fill port... when the car is level.

Same idea here, using my heater tube to hold up the trans oil bottle, with a hose going to a long neck funnel stuck in the filler hole:

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: