Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WOW! Just WOW! Can't find Bosch parts.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: WOW! Just WOW! Can't find Bosch parts. Reply with quote

Ok so I need to get a cap and rotor and get Gustav smogged. The one I have is burnt pretty bad. So I go to all the local Autozones, Kregan, pepboy shops. NOBODY carries Bosch parts. One guy tried to sell me Borg-warner and said it was the same. I laughed at him and left. I am suprised to see nobdy carries Bosch parts in Chico Ca. So I will order them or get them from local VW shop. So far they are the only people that have parts I need. But the price is kinda high. Rant over.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my parts at Van Cafe. $30 for cap, rotor, spark plugs, shipping and tax for Arnold Sad They have great prices wich I am sure most of you already know.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, we all know about Van Cafe and appreciate them, along with the other regular vendors. It is great to have such good reliable suppliers just a click away. Now about those spark plugs... (my rant)... look at them closely, BOSCH is now outsourcing some of their plugs and the ones we need are now no longer made in Germany! The ones you just bought are most likely made in India and the quality is not the same as the original German ones.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHHHH. The plugs were the copper ones at $1.50. If they came from India they will meet my trash can. I want my German parts from Germany.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
OHHHH. The plugs were the copper ones at $1.50. If they came from India they will meet my trash can. I want my German parts from Germany.

Don't throw them out just yet. I have been looking for the Germans ones for over a year and they don't seem to exist any more. Some claim to have seen them (but I suspect they were attached to Elvis' hat) There has been some discussion here on the Samba about spark plugs a while back, I suspect that an alternate brand may be in order (but what is good, I don't know). If you find a source of German made BOSCH W7CC0, please PM me.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suprised that they would not come from Brazil. That seems to be where alot of VW stuff is and comes from now. I guess India was cheaper for them if true. I will keep an eye out. Bosch was also opening a plant in China. We are supposed to get new parts for BMW from there cause its cheaper production. We'll see.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my order from Van Cafe. These people are great! I got all my parts plus a bag of cookies. YES.
Parales, my plugs are made in Brazil. Thats good for me. Those people are huge VW people. The cap and rotor are from Spain. So no India parts and that makes me happy.
Oh and I got my order in 1 day.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
I got my order from Van Cafe. These people are great! I got all my parts plus a bag of cookies. YES.
Parales, my plugs are made in Brazil. Thats good for me. Those people are huge VW people. The cap and rotor are from Spain. So no India parts and that makes me happy.
Oh and I got my order in 1 day.

That is good news,
I have only been able to find India made plugs lately and they look like crap. The threads look like they will jam. Made in Brazil sounds better to me. I have made a total of two orders from Van Cafe (the last one very recently) and they NEVER sent me any cookies... Is it personal?
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe only new orders get cookies. Also the plugs I got were the Bosch Super plus copper core if that matters to you.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they cant send the cookies to Canada. I was at the post office sending some parts to Canada one time and the clerk read through the list of things that would not clear customs. Some of them were pretty ridiculous, I dont remember cookies being on there, but cheese certainly was.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So (good cheese) smuggling could be good in Canada?.?.?.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NGK plugs from Japan. Good quality, fair price.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW! Just WOW! Can't find Bosch parts. Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
Ok so I need to get a cap and rotor and get Gustav smogged. The one I have is burnt pretty bad. So I go to all the local Autozones, Kregan, pepboy shops. NOBODY carries Bosch parts. One guy tried to sell me Borg-warner and said it was the same. I laughed at him and left. I am suprised to see nobdy carries Bosch parts in Chico Ca. So I will order them or get them from local VW shop. So far they are the only people that have parts I need. But the price is kinda high. Rant over.

A little hint:

I use Worldpac / Autocamping / Altrom as part distributor, they are all specialized in German parts supplies.

Altrom work hand in hand with Napa, Carquest with Worldpac.

I'm in Montreal Canada, population, about 2.5-3 millions. I just looked at my online Worldpac software called Speed Dial, they have 16 Distributor cap in stock at a warehouse 3 miles from my shop.

So next time, ask any autopart if the deal with those... ask them if they have Internet and speedial.

Saldy for me, they don't cary much Subi parts Smile

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can join worldpack for $50. This maybe worthi it since I can also get my BMW parts through them. The local shops here where I live just suck. There are only 1 maybe 2 that are good.
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Physics Profs. was from India. Smart guy and really a nice person.

Do you really think that they don't have the technology to make spark plug? They can make a missle that will land in you front yard! I think you are safe with a spark plug from India.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMM NOPE! The only reason Bosch is going there is low pay and less restrictions. I would bet that a 12 year old will build my plugs. This is the same for alot of manufactors that are going to China. No thanks. I don't want kids building my parts. I never said that people from India are dumb. How many VW's do you see in India. Not exactly known as VW lovers.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just place a German BOSCH W7CC0 and an Indian BOSCH W7CC side by side and you can see the difference. If it looks like crap from the outside, what makes you want to believe that it is good on the inside?
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local (I use that term loosely) carries Bosch parts, but you gotta ask, twice. I bought a rotor a while back, asking for Bosch. Guy brought me a crappy knock-off (hecho in USA Confused ) so I asked if they had BOSCH. Sure enough, they did, and it was cheaper than the crappy American part.

They also have better Valve Cover seals than the crappy cork ones I got from Bus Depot ~ for about the same $$.

'Course, my Autozone is in heavily Hispanic neighborhood, so they are doing a pretty brisk business and have good reason to carry a wide range of parts. The Irvine auto parts stores are a joke, unless you're going to the Maserati or Mercedes dealer... Rolling Eyes

Best,

Lanval
SpiritRT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy most my German car parts from http://imcparts.net/

You'll find 90% of the vendors place their stock order there.

However, they are wholesale only.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: