Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake oil slingers...???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Rear brake oil slingers...??? Reply with quote

I've been going through all the brakes, replacing everything on my 62'. I've only run into a slight glitch... I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get those darn oil slingers back into the new brake drums. Does anybody have any pictures of them installed on the drum? Thanks in advance!!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty simple, the snout goes into the little hole out near the corner of the drum and the tob folds over the hole in the face of the drum.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it'd be easy too....but it doesn't want to line up...the hole in the new drum is alot smaller than the old drums. Is this a common problem with aftermarket stuff? I didn't want to start drilling on the new one without checking here. These are the good "german" ones....thanks!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I've put slingers into new drums, I've had to drill the exit hole for the slinger myself. I had to do it with the German drums I put on my 62 in the mid 1990s. (Then a few years later I put a later rear end in there that uses the weep-hole style... no more slingers)

Anyway, you wanted a pic, I'd seen one in the Gallery a while back, and here it is:
-Andy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big probs if you dont use the slingers?

I have some new drums but no holes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without the slings, and the old style bearing retainers, if there is a seal leak, the grease will get on the brake shoes.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalWindowBucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if im using old oval bearing caps with weep hole backing plates? I was told i wouldnt need slingers.. True?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearing caps are designed to work with the backing plates. They have a metal washer that does the "slinging" in the bearing cap, which then drains out the weephole. You have to have that kind of cap and that washer between it and the seal for it to work.
OvalWindowBucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the washer from the axle seal kit, is this what youre talking about? I am using 58-64 rear brakes with oval axle tubes and bearing caps..
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the slinger (deflector) washer is not in the seal kit, you have to reuse the old one. (#13)

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and replies! Maybe I'm thinking this through too much!! I have the holes in the drums for the clip to slide into...but where does the end of the tube go? It doesn't exit the drum, so the gear oil won't get onto the brake lining should there be a leak?

In the pictures (never thought of looking in the gallery, thanks!) it looks like the tube on the slinger just sits inside the brake drum?? Is this correct? Thanks!

Scott
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the tube for the slinger is in the rim of the drum, and the hole goes all the way through the drum. Any oil that makes it that far gets slung onto the rim. Again, from the Gallery - this is of an early type 3 drum but it shows the slinger hole:

OvalWindowBucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
No, the slinger (deflector) washer is not in the seal kit, you have to reuse the old one. (#13)

ok thanks ill have to find the oil slingers for the drum then i guess with my combo of cap and backing plate
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewww wee...I don't like the idea of drilling into those new drums!!! But...I'm pretty anal, and if I don't do it now, that's all I'll be thinking of as I drive it around!! Thanks for the pics, I didn't see that one in the gallery.

Scott
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yeah, the tube for the slinger is in the rim of the drum, and the hole goes all the way through the drum. Any oil that makes it that far gets slung onto the rim. Again, from the Gallery - this is of an early type 3 drum but it shows the slinger hole:

I have one of those holes in my drums, I thought it was for seeing how much drum thickness is left. Confused
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it ok to drill drums yourself? Just wondering if it would weaken them or anything
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any issues with the ones I drilled.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size hole is needed for the oil slingers?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly bigger than the tube.
I dont have one in front of me to measure.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8mm seems to work

now tht i got them in im having trouble getting the drum back on, the slinger binds on the axle so when i turn the drum to get the splines to line up the axle is turning also. with old drum it goes on easy- must have something off...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: