Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member... meet Esmerelda!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8419p27 wrote:
Congrats on the find. I've always liked that color. Since I feel special about 84's I'd like to offer $0.02. If there is seam rust showing on the rear quarters, there might be more lurking beneath the surface of the other seams, under the window seals or at the camping utility hookups. (guess how I know) Regarding your water temp gauge reading, 1/2 - 3/4 is what most people see. At 3/4 the fan should probably be ON automatically. The 1.9 will continue to serve you 82 horsies for a long time as long as it stays cool. OK, thats it from me. Enjoy the brown carpet!

Once the "big" garage is done next spring (did I mention we're also building/finishing a house?) I plan on gutting the interior and inspect from the inside. For now I want to put a temporary fix on the rear quarters via the techniques I've read on here. She's been garage kept most of her life so I do have hopes...

As for the water temp, I definitely have some sort of issue. This weekend I'm replacing the pressure tank and cap, fan switch and burp the system using the Westy "bong" I just made and see where that takes me. The fan does not cycle on at all, but I can jumper it (the old fan switch) and get it running. I'm betting on either the switch (doubtful), air in system (even more doubtful) or partially clogged radiator (most likely). I'll know more after this weekend. Running the heat lowered the temp a little, but running the A/C did not.

As for the brown carpet, it hides Margarita stains very well.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older brother....mine is a 82 Westy same color same everything except 67 horses...

As an aside - I will be travelling to Morgantown in a few weeks - any recommendations on where to go for some good nightlife that is not completely dominated by college students?

Also - like one of the previous folks stated - better check the rust situation out - would be terrible for it to get worse.

take care
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
berge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the "Crappy Brown Carpet" is how it was described to me.... I bought it anyway...
Berge
Prior:
59 Ragtop
66 Barndoor
71 TinTop Westy
69 Karmann Ghia
62 Bus
83.5 Vanagon
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
As far as I know there are no 15" steel wheels that the stock hubcaps 14" hub caps will fit. If you go with the Passat wheels you will need to grind out the center bore quite a bit, also the offset (ET) is not ideal for the vanagon, if I remember correctly you will need spacers to correct the offset. If you want 15" steel the Van-cafe (or others) are the best way to go, that being said I think finding a cheap set of Mercedes alloys is the best way to go. For more info on wheels go to both of the "ultimate wheel" stickies or contact Loogy, he is the man when it comes to wheels and suspension here on the Samba.

Sweet Westy, by the way. It looks just like mine. Same year and color (if you ignore all the rust).

I'd like to stay away from alloys if possible. We'd like to keep as much of the original vintage (Pat's BIG into vintage) look and feel as possible when doing our upgrades.

Rust? Gotta love it. My 87 Comanche is one West Virginia winter away from a full nature inflicted Fred Flintstone mod.
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfej1 wrote:
I have the older brother....mine is a 82 Westy same color same everything except 67 horses...

As an aside - I will be travelling to Morgantown in a few weeks - any recommendations on where to go for some good nightlife that is not completely dominated by college students?

Also - like one of the previous folks stated - better check the rust situation out - would be terrible for it to get worse.

take care

I do plan on doing a full interior exam when possible (see previous post). From the outside, the two rear seams are the only outward signs, and they are only a discoloration on the seam caulk. I don't think it would be noticeable on a darker color paint. Nevertheless, I hear you loud and clear. Rust is a bastard.

What type of nightlife are you looking for? Dancin', carousin' or just plain hell raisin'? We got it all, especially on a football weekend. Not to be missed.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will now say "welcome to the neverending forest,was all in jest Actually most of the people here are rather sane,as for the rest of us we DO havepaperwork saying we are! These things do grow on u and hope for a lot of enjoyable trips .Probably all situations that can be with a wbx someone here has ran into and won, and its free. (for the first 30 days and then only $19.95 plus postage).
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats MSmyth!

Your new Westy looks just like ours, except slightly different seat material. And we bought ours about a month ago after looking on and off for around 9 months.

The Mrs. and I are also the 3rd owners of our '85, but alas, we have no A/C in our Auto Westy.

The previous owners, like yours, have been pretty good at keeping everything stock, and in pretty good nik overall. I have a stack of reciepts for maintannce and a little bodywork. The only "mod" I've found so far is a new radio and an really old Garage Door Opener that was wired into the radio's antenna and electrical system! Have since removed the GDO...

We just got back from our 2nd camping trip in Wisconsin, and have nothing but good things to say!

Oh, we have a British car problem too. But the Westy and the MG-B seem happy together in the garage. The Westy's door opens right over the MG's fender! No door dings! Yeah!

We've done our 5 mile, 50 mile, and (nearly) 500 mile trips since we bought her. A couple more trips, and repainting of the propane tank, and we'll be traveling much further next summer!

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Round Eyes! Reply with quote

Of course there's something special about '84's! For one, Winston's one of them! Welcome to the Funny Farm.

FUEL LINES.
HEADLIGHT RELAYS
HELLA H4'S
Marvel Mystery Oil in the Gas
Castrol 20W50 and Mann Oil filters.

Cheap stuff that keeps the new ride happy and unburning.

You've made a good call, and will have a lot of fun finding that out.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: