Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vin observations and questions
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: vin observations and questions Reply with quote

I am not sure how many of you are aware but, there is a vin# stamped to the chasis on a crossmember just behind passenger front tire on our vanagons. I always knew mine was there but it has been partially covered by years of grime and undercoating. Well, today I decided to clean up that area and check the numbers. Here is what I found the numbers match. Duh! Or do they? Well, it turns out the numbers match to a point. The first 4 match then 3 z's then the numbers match then another couple of z's then matching numbers to complete the vin #. My question is why the z's that don't match my numbers? Could it be that the z's were stamped to the chasis because the rest of the van was not decided on what it was finally supposed to be yet? Meaning when chasis was built it was still yet to be decided that my particular van was to be a syncro westphalia, that later would be assigned numbers that correspond to my actual vin# and not the chasis? Just an interesting observation. I guess the vin is code just like the mcodes on splittys is a total story to the bus. Any vin# detectives want to chime in here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. I can not find the numbers on mine. Can you post a picture of the cross-member ?
Thanks,
Steve

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmv has a book here in va that shows stamped vin# on cars. i think its a nada book. i was shocked just how many places are stamped on a vw. a lot more than you think. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
dmv has a book here in va that shows stamped vin# on cars. i think its a nada book. i was shocked just how many places are stamped on a vw. a lot more than you think. Shocked

Where else is it stamped? Do you have a copy of this book?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
This is interesting. I can not find the numbers on mine. Can you post a picture of the cross-member ?
Thanks,
Steve

I don't have a pic but if you lie down under your slider door, look at the front jack point from behind the tire, then follow that cross member in. The stamped is right there. It is possible yours is covered as was mine, with dirt, undercoating, rust, whatever, but it is there.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found mine on the crossmember after I had the van sandblasted due to ongoing restoration. Never thought to check it against the window plate and sticker but will do now. Mine is a syncro westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: vin observations and questions Reply with quote

Can anyone point out any other locations of the permanent VIN stamp on the chassis, besides the crossmember behind the front passenger wheel?

My crossmember has what looks to be a factory-cut 2" hole going straight through it, and unfortunately that effectively deleted the last six digits (ie. the "sequential production number") and also the right half of the "H" for "Hanover" from the VIN stamp there.

So my chassis VIN stamp shows the correct vehicle type, series, model and year, but not the sequential production number (which of course is still on the dashboard VIN tag).

I suspect that would not make customs agents happy if I took the van anywhere exotic, unless there's another chassis stamp somewhere else that I can point to.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: vin observations and questions Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Well, it turns out the numbers match to a point. The first 4 match then 3 z's then the numbers match then another couple of z's then matching numbers to complete the vin #. My question is why the z's that don't match my numbers? Could it be that the z's were stamped to the chasis because the rest of the van was not decided on what it was finally supposed to be yet?

This is a common question for the A1 chassis Volkswagen crowd, especially since the stamped VIN is right there under the hood. The answer is (replace "Cabriolet" with "Vanagon" and "rain tray" with "cross member"):

VINs outside North America, and the VINs found stamped into the rain tray of all Cabriolets, contain four "Z"s. For North American Cabriolets, these are merely filler digits. The rain tray VINs were standard issue as the cars rolled off the initial phase of the assembly line; the only difference between these standard-issue model-year VINs is the sequential production number. Locations outside of the USA & Canada do not require the same VIN information (many locations, including Europe, still require only a 13-digit VIN) and, therefore, use filler digits during stamping to make the initial assembly process easier and faster.

For example, if 30,000 Cabriolets were built for the 1985 model year, the first Cabriolet built for that year would have WVWZZZ15ZFK000001, while the last 1985 Cabriolet would have a WVWZZZ15ZFK030000 stamped into the rain tray. As the cars went through final assembly, they received their official, individual VINs based on their destination; it was at this time that North American Cabriolets obtained their non-"Z" VINs, while cars destined for sale in Europe received the "Z" VIN on the door plate, the dash plate and on the build sheet. Using the same example, that first 1985 Cabriolet was destined for, let's say, the USA; it's official VIN would be WVWCA0158FK000001 (the internal check code varies and may not actually be an 8 ). The last Cabriolet for 1985 was destined for, let's say, Italy; it's official VIN would be WVWZZZ15Z030000.

In case anyone is wondering if that is really true, it was confirmed by Volkswagen AG itself. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty cool.

So where else do we find a vin? I know more modern vehicles I work on have them stamped in a million places. My Jeeps even have the vin printed on stickers on every body panel.

My nissan had the doortag vin, a radiator plate vin, and firewall vin, with another rumored above the gas tank.

So far this makes three that I know of for the van, seems like it would be pretty easy for someone to obscure those to steal a van, I feel like it would make sense to have a more hidden location.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when they stopped it, but the ZZZ's are the chassis VIN and the complete VIN is on the dash.
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
stevey88 wrote:
Thanks,
Steve

I don't have a pic but if you lie down under your slider door, look at the front jack point from behind the tire, then follow that cross member in. The stamped is right there. It is possible yours is covered as was mine, with dirt, undercoating, rust, whatever, but it is there.

I've been crawling around underneath my van and am unable to locate this too. Can someone please post a photo of the location and/or point out another spot where there is a VIN stamp??

I need an etching of the VIN number and the VIN plate and tag inside the van are flat, so I can't exactly etch them...
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 90 parts van, there is a plastic plate hidden on the left side of the inner bumper/impact barrier. it is sprayed over with the body paint. On my 87 Westy, there is a plate riveted behind the driver's seat vertically and covered by the carpet. You can only see it if you peel off the carpet that is glued over it. I still have not seen the VIN number on the cross member.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Wildcat wrote:

I've been crawling around underneath my van and am unable to locate this too. Can someone please post a photo of the location and/or point out another spot where there is a VIN stamp??

On mine, it's on the back side of the front cross-member, right side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ignore the dirt... Embarassed
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine is too covered in dirt and grime to see. When I started scraping some of it away, some of it also looked like it could be the plastic looking undercoat on the van. Does that make sense? I was afraid to scrape too much away because I didn't want to remove it if I was indeed harming the undercoat in someway. Any suggestions?
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my dash out of my doka, I added a dash VIN. I went to a trophy/plaque/engraving shop and had them make me a VIN plate. I drilled two holes and pop riveted it in place.

I plan to do the same with my double sliding door van.
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other ideas on VIN number locations?? I do not see one where kamzcab86 is showing in the photo and when my van was just in the shop, they couldn't locate a VIN number location that I could etch either!

He thought that there may be one stamped to the metal behind the headlights but they didn't see one there either. Any thoughts?
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Wildcat wrote:
Any other ideas on VIN number locations??

Not useful to you but apropo to the topic, for Westies the sequential production number portion of the VIN was located in the 1st of the 3 fields on the Westfalia-Werke mfg plate (the other two field being the date of manufacture and the year-code/sequential number assigned by Westfalia (also found on the plate on the rear seat bottom).

I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, last time I will bump this thread in hope of answers. Since my van isn't a factory Westy, that info doesn't help me. Any van owners, particularly those in Europe, that have any knowledge of VIN stamp locations, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this before. On my 90 parts van ( made in 10/89 ) located at the left front corner, there is a plastic plate covered with another plastic plastic plate and painted over with body paint. You need to remove the bumper to get access to it. In the picture, I just tape it at where I removed it.

I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve! It looks like that VIN is flat as well, so I can't etch it which is what the DMV wants to see. It looks like I will have to submit several photos of the VIN locations without and etching and see what they say.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: