Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd) Reply with quote

That is what I'd like to do - I just don't see a delete button?

I emailed everett, and he fixed it - should be up to date, with correct spacing now. [/b]

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd) Reply with quote

Line 9 should be "Double check lug nut torque on all wheels."

Then 10, "Beer run!."

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd) Reply with quote

I know it's been said before, but keep in mind that some tires are "directional" and cannot be rotated to the opposite side, only traded back to front on the same side.
This also applies to studded winter tires, the rolling direction should never be changed.

In order to get even wear on these types of tires you can remount (and balance) the tires inside out on the wheels to allow using on the opposite side.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd) Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Nice!

The OCD part of me must point out that steps 1 and 4 have a space after the parenthesis, while the other steps do not. Rolling Eyes

The keep-it-simple part of me just rotates the tires one position clockwise. Very Happy

Enjoy your vans! Lt. Blue Vanagon

Jim

As a copy editor I feel obliged to point out "Spare" in line 2 should be lower case, as should "Front Down" in line 8. Wink

Thanks for putting together a cool graphic! It'll replace the crude drawing I keep in the owner's manual pouch.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd) Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Line 9 should be "Double check lug nut torque on all wheels."

Then 10, "Beer run!."

"B–double-E–double-R U N — Beer Run!" Very Happy

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 5 Tire Rotation (Syncro and 2wd) Reply with quote

Qick tire rotation question -
I was about to rotate my tires, and thought I'd check the tire tread.

All tires are the same - but the spare was brand new, and came with the truck.

I understand that the tires should all be the same size - which is extra important with a syncro (or at least I think it is).

I'm doing the 5 tire rotation - and tread depth on spare(new) tire is 11.3 mm. Tread depth on mounted tires varies between 10.2mm and 10.4mm.

I think the existing tire variation is probably fine, but would putting this newer tire be an issue?

Confession to make - I was waiting for some decent weather to do this rotation - and then stupidly hit a curb a little hard, and took a small chunk out of sidewall of tire. So this has pushed me to do the rotation sooner. But now I'm thinking if I buy a new tire - is the size difference going to be an issue? I am coming to understand maybe I should have done this rotation sooner, but I just got the truck back in November...I didn't check tread depth - and I thought the mounted tires were not that old.

I guess the root of my question - if all tires are supposed to be the same diameter, how much variation can the drive train handle?

thanks.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: