Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Yeah I'd value it at like 5-6 K. Oh and by the way skills, my step mom is in on this bus for dad thing now too so now we can get up to like a 4K-5K bus... so less problems for me to fix.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Yeah I'd value it at like 5-6 K. Oh and by the way skills, my step mom is in on this bus for dad thing now too so now we can get up to like a 4K-5K bus... so less problems for me to fix.

I thought you were looking for a bus for YOU. Unless you're married to them, this partnership ownership should be avoided at all costs regardless of who it's with.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I am looking for a bus for me... and my step mom has been wanting to get my dad one for 6 years. She's now actively in the market for a camper So he'll have a bus for weekends and family stuff and then I am also looking to get a bus for myself. No partnership, its all for him and she's paying. I'm my own entity in this and am looking for a bus for me while I help her find one for him.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

this gaping rust hole scares me the most:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

there are also lots of other rusty areas, both bubbly and coming through the paint. that bus needs a serious "in person" evaluation before plopping down any money on it. it's in Maine - it's gonna need a lot of rust repair. "worth" 5-6K? sheesh, that still seems stupid high to me.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

it's in Maine - it's gonna need a lot of rust repair. "worth" 5-6K? sheesh, that still seems stupid high to me.

you're just a spoiled brat Laughing that's the kind of shit we have up here. really, it might not be that bad....

that area is typical on late bays when the windshield seal goes south. much like a split there is a bunch of metal sandwiches in that area. the "holy grail late bay is much safer than an early bay" deformation panel does a fantastic job of rotting out when the water gets in there. but an original paint late camper in that shape is in the price range. pretty nuts to think I got my 71 in 08 for 3500....and it was (for all intents and purposes) ready to run.

that was the most expensive bay I had ever bought up to that point....scary to think in 1996 I bought a 71 westy from my history teacher for 150...and drove it home, and flipped it for 800...it was a west coast bus with a cat in the hat painted on the side of it...that was "all the money" for a bay back then.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
scary to think in 1996 I bought a 71 westy from my history teacher for 150...and drove it home, and flipped it for 800...it was a west coast bus with a cat in the hat painted on the side of it...that was "all the money" for a bay back then.
That's funny, I know someone that had a bay window with a cat in the hat on it too Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Wow. I'm amazed...

A '74 Westy with SALVAGE TITLE sold for $19k on eBay today...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanagon-Westfalia-/263064834582

Shocked Shocked Shocked

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

basic insurance, a pop in the rear, or a hit to the slider will total one of these if the owner has liability insurance.

if there is no real evidence of a real hard hit, I would have no problem with a salvaged title. if it was cut in 1/2 and put together again....well....different story

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

if there is no real evidence of a real hard hit, I would have no problem with a salvaged title. if it was cut in 1/2 and put together again....well....different story

Agreed. Salvage or bonded title in a vehicle this old is irrelevant. You are paying for the metal and its fitting parts, not a piece of paper. Personal inspection is so important.
But, Ebay, and Barret-Jackson are seller's markets.
Having said that, this 1974 is a mixed bag: It appears to be not too bad a body, but low quality repaint. 26k miles? That's what speedo says, but those pedal pads say more. And entirely dishonest. This is a car that could never be licensed in California as is appears, since it will not smog in any sense. WHAT are those carbs? Solex 34's? The fan housing says CD, which is 1973 1700 with Automatic, the heat exchangers are 75-78, the thermostat/ flaps not hooked up. The ever so good mechanical only dizzy, On the good side, it has a clock. Original green plaid seats are redone or at least the stuffing shape is nice.
Can you IMAGINE what it is like in that black tent in the California sun? The buyer will have near $30k in it before it is licensed and driving well in California.
Enjoy.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

The smog cert is only required for '76 and newer vehicles. So this one will not be a problem getting registered in CA.

But it would sure be interesting to find out what caused the salvaged title to be issued.

I bought mine on eBay last year, and lucked out with the results. And the seller had posted pics taken at dusk, so it looked like it had rust on the bottom of all the doors and body panels. However, it turned out to have been shadows and not rust, so I was ecstatic when it was delivered.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Wow. I'm amazed...

A '74 Westy with SALVAGE TITLE sold for $19k on eBay today...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanagon-Westfalia-/263064834582

Shocked Shocked Shocked

So it's got a 2.0 case, with a late exhaust setup, but the carb breather box… Rear end collision? I know the engine foam seals are expensive, but for 19k, that shit better be gilded. The door striker plate overspray is a nice touch… Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

like it or not, this is what stuff is selling for....

here is a thread where your run of the mill bus was hit, totaled and paid out for 11K https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

you guys need to pull your heads out of 1986's ass and realize that they are more valuable today than they were even 8 years ago.

on a side note, that thread shows that denial is a wonderful place to live. I am willing to bet over 80% of you in sambaland have dick for insurance because it's "cheap" well, let the river of tears flow should you loose your ass in case of a loss.

I know this isn't an insurance thread, but the above link shows what the going rate for a run of the mill bus is going for these days. the bus in question we are whining about couldn't be pulled from a back yard and made to look/run like that in the ebay ad for the selling price

welcome to reality...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

like it or not, this is what stuff is selling for....

you guys need to pull your heads out of 1986's ass and realize that they are more valuable today than they were even 8 years ago.

In Robbie's defense, he wasn't even born yet in 1986. Laughing An old boss of mine loved a similar expression. It went "why don't you weld a "D-ring" to your head and pull it out of your ass"..

I agree Don that many of us "older" guys that were around in the 80's when VW's were dirt cheap and GOOD parts were plentiful and cheap still have a hard time w/some of the pricing we see today.
I personally like seeing the prices escalate on these bay buses. It will get more of them back on the road and "hopefully" bring new folks into the hobby that are willing to crack their wallet open for good parts vs. all the Chinese crapola being sold today.

It does appear to be a good trend in the past couple of years where people finally understand that the original, restored German made parts are vasty superior to anything being sold new today. People with the best running VW's have made in Germany parts on it, not made in China.

Unless it's got a Subaru in it. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I must have scored an exceptional buy on eBay when I bought Chloe... Auction ended at $3100 plus $1200 shipping had her delivered into my garage in "occasional" running condition. And a clear title. Dancing White Bay Bus

And now she's my daily driver when the temps are under 100*, which means she's in storage until mid-September. Embarassed

---WildIdea

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I agree bill 100%

I bought my first bus in 1990 a 62 non sunroof deluxe...for 150 towed to my house. I was 11 at the time, and that bus was in very good shape by todays standards...

anyway I am glad to say that I lived it. and the prices of OE stuff are going up. it will be interesting to see how things go moving forward. I too remember the days of buying a 50.00 dual port, re sealing it and running it for 6 years with no issue. those days are sadly over....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I agree bill 100%

I bought my first bus in 1990 a 62 non sunroof deluxe...for 150 towed to my house. I was 11 at the time, and that bus was in very good shape by todays standards...

anyway I am glad to say that I lived it. and the prices of OE stuff are going up. it will be interesting to see how things go moving forward. I too remember the days of buying a 50.00 dual port, re sealing it and running it for 6 years with no issue. those days are sadly over....

I grew up in the San Diego area. VW's were EVERYWHERE and so where the VW salvage yards. Good, running used VW's for $300-$500 dollars. There was a huge VW salvage yard near me. He had sheds full of good running engines for like $100 each. Just tons of near new parts from so many VW's he parted out vs. selling the entire VW. I only wish I'd taken a camera w/me to take photo's of that guys huge VW only yard.

Oh the good ole days!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I agree bill 100%

If people stop paying stupid prices things could get back to abby normal. Many parts on here are just outrageous, for those who love the Bus or other VW's for that matter seek out parts at the swap meets. They are reasonable at the events. Stop paying these high prices to these gold diggers. I will say there are some sellers that truly have a passion to keep prices normal, thanks to them thesamba lives on. Recently i was looking for a 2/3 seat for my 70 passenger bus, i see them from 200 in nice shape to 850. I passed one up at bugorama in sac for 300. I'll get one but i wont pay some stupid price. Should i be saying stupid price or a stupid person for paying that price. Hmm. I know we live in American but come on.

Enjoy!
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

^^^^^ Laughing

you are so very stuck in the 80's that I feel bad for you.

supply and demand. I bought a NOS bay window clock about 15 years ago for 75...still in the box. sold it about 2 years ago for 700. these parts are drying up.

I sure as hell am not going to sell parts at 80's pricing to "help out the hobby" so the end user can cash out. I leave little to no meat on the bone. and honestly, I don't care if others do it to me. if I need/want the item, I will gladly pay up

there is no "cheap" hobby....I know guys 10K deep in RC cars....

that's like saying "I'm not buying gas because people drove up the price"

prices go up...deal with it.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

^^^^^ Laughing

you are so very stuck in the 80's that I feel bad for you.

supply and demand. I bought a NOS bay window clock about 15 years ago for 75...still in the box. sold it about 2 years ago for 700. these parts are drying up.

I sure as hell am not going to sell parts at 80's pricing to "help out the hobby" so the end user can cash out. I leave little to no meat on the bone. and honestly, I don't care if others do it to me. if I need/want the item, I will gladly pay up

there is no "cheap" hobby....I know guys 10K deep in RC cars....

that's like saying "I'm not buying gas because people drove up the price"

Im dealing just fine, just whining peope should heed the advice the parts are out there without selling a gold tooth. The reason i guess is the difference im seeing, these are not a ferrari or porsches, what i have a "whine" about is people buying things to be cool, "ahh these are cool, i have money and want one", i have to say i enjoy the bay and driving it, but my last 58 splitty, no way, not even close. The 23 window that started this mess in pricing id bet my left nut its not being driven at all, not because its some museum piece, which its not, but for certain drives it is a poor choice to drive, ie. Not practical. I guess like my old stock 36hp gear reduction bus was great going up hills doing 35mph,

This started based on a conversation i had with an old time seller. I didnt think it out very well but oh well.
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

And given time they will go down. In the world of classic cars $10k-$20K is not unreasonable. We are in the middle of a trend. As the demographic changes, and the old guys disappear, the younger generation just now getting into the hobby ages the even younger generation may /will find something else that's cool. Then the prices will drop and someone will have to wake me from my dirt nap so I can buy stuff again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 405 of 490

Jump to: