Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-bus-westfalia-camper/6226015541.html
Not even a westfalia... and he's crazy anyway.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-bus-westfalia-camper/6226015541.html
Not even a westfalia... and he's crazy anyway.

It's his daily driver but he won't have time for it and he doesn't want it to sit. Daily drivers don't sit too long... an hour at the store... then back home. Maybe 8 hours at work.. then the drive thru.. well you get it. It's NOT his daily driver. He betrayed his own lie.
Sportsmobile?

Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Hello.
I may be out of line here, but this guy must of been out in the Texas sun a little bit to long. Samba Add #2077050, it's on ebay also.... $17,500 asking price???.
Now yes, I've been out of the VW Bus crowd for some time, but that seems a little high too me, for what needs done.
I hope he gets his price. That would only make my 71 westy worth even more, to the person looking for a clean and correct true survivor.... Nothing missing or added, just like it was when it left the factory.
Sorry, if I'm out of line here. But some of the prices people are asking for buses that need so much work, now. It may be time for me to start looking for more buses.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Um, yes the prices are going up.

eBay is a good gauge for the outside buyer. You know those dreamer folks that just want a cool Van. Rolling Eyes Those people, other, them.

They are the ones for sure dropping the 20 to 30k on bay windows. Not Johnny crusty bottom that was there when you could get new parts at the dealer in 1989. Not dude who skipped last period to go to the junkyard and pull parts off their choice of 30-40 buses. Not Mr Whipple who gave his bus over to a mechanic that put a new motor in, did the brakes and a front align all in the same day. Not any 40 to 60 year old thats either holding onto or trying to recreate the glory days.

Shits gone. We are on the cusp of losing the deal bus. That day of striking gold is numbered if not in its latest twilight.

This is the expensive bay. The 20-30k bay on eBay. Soon to be a 50k bay.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YadnusBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2076651 For the money they want. shouldn't the bus actually be described correctly? This is a 1979 bus, not a 78 and of course its not a champagne, but don't tell the seller that. Rolling Eyes
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Um, yes the prices are going up.

My 2 cents? There's still a market saturation of available bay buses out there to be consumed. While a lot of these available buses are less desirable due to rust or years of abuse and neglect, there are still many nice ones too.

I can be stuck in the 80's VW pricing as much as anyone. I use to go to the local VW dealer to buy parts for my bug in the early 80's. However, I'm a realist and have come to the conclusion that the pricing of the bay buses out there in conditions above an 8 (scale of 1-10, with a 10 being mint) should demand $20k plus for them. A late 70's bay bus was around $8-9k when new. That's around $28k in 2017 dollars with inflation.

We can all buy a ratty bay bus for $6-8k and understand how quickly we can sink $20k and usually much more into it after a full mechanical and body refresh which would include a engine and transmission overhaul, all the mechanicals replaced or refreshed. Paint and bodywork for $8k and up on a non-rusty body, etc, etc..

I've said it before and think an influx of new VW bay owners w/more disposable income could be a good thing. These new owners would be willing to spend the $ on good parts which may start a trend of companies reproducing them to a quality standard comparable to what VW sold at the dealers vs. the crap from China we suffer with today.

At the end of the day, I still think we have a few years still of affordable "entry level" bay buses being available at reasonable costs. We will continue to see the mint bay buses appreciate in value too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

looks like a CE to me. not a fan of the Riviera but if it's original paint etc you couldn't build that bus for his asking price.

the sheer amount of people who have such little knowledge about these buses are the ones who seem to bitch the loudest. get over it.

next up will be the piss and moan about a 85 Brazilian bay window because they want 10K for a "fake" bus....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
looks like a CE to me. not a fan of the Riviera but if it's original paint etc you couldn't build that bus for his asking price.

the sheer amount of people who have such little knowledge about these buses are the ones who seem to bitch the loudest. get over it.

next up will be the piss and moan about a 85 Brazilian bay window because they want 10K for a "fake" bus....

I hate it when people call the Brazilian stuff fake. Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I hate it when people call the Brazilian stuff fake. Rolling Eyes

I agree completely on that. Same dies made them. With some upgrades. Even the later ones with bay fronts are pretty nice cars. Nothing against Brazilian people. Way better music than Germans. Unless you like Wagner.
WRT the 79. It's a 1979. CEII's were 1978. It's a fake. Not a horrible car, condition wise.
I LIKE Rivs in some respects, tho it seems no two were ever the same! The top is great, much better than the Westy. The interiors were more sensibly laid out. I had a 1976 that had a gas cooktop that stowed under the bed, could be used inside or on the table which originally came with a separate base for outdoor use. Outdoor cooking is often a better plan.
Negatives, there are many. The upholstery materials are SO CHEESY! Dated and low quality. Westy was better on that. The cupboards themselves are kinda ugly. And the tambors (roll doors) usually are broken. Maybe a good plan, just not good enough stuff. I like that you could get better colors. Some models came with a furnace. Great for 4 season camping or at high altitudes, which is a good place to camp.
ASI was the West Coast VW distributor, They would build them on anything they chose, even a CEII in a couple cases.
WRT the shown car: WHITEWALLS ought to be the same as Henry Ford said regarding the color of a Model T. Any color you want... as long as it's black. No proper tires were EVER made, I think in WHITEWALLS. CHEESY, like the seats.
It's a $15k car, at most. Still needs some fixing.
Al
Vanagons:
YadnusBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

looks like a CE to me.
Its not a champagne, your wrong. And you are the one with little knowledge, try doing some research before you speak idiot. Laughing
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

looks like a CE to me.

Not a CE bus. It's a 79, mfg date 07/78. CEII were only made jan to apr of 78. Also it's not 2 tone. The top half would be fox red, along with the interior paint. The dash, steering wheel, et all should be poo brown also. The stripes aren't right either.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

YadnusBug wrote:
looks like a CE to me.
Its not a champagne, your wrong. And you are the one with little knowledge, try doing some research before you speak idiot. Laughing

Please don't pester the animals. Even though resting, they are still very capable of ripping you to shreds. He said "looks like" . Never know what he was thinking. It does, rather look like a CE.
And he does have QUITE A "little knowledge".
Al
Vanagons:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Skilz has a little waaa....?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

YadnusBug wrote:
looks like a CE to me.

youranusbug~

and you're spelling sucks ass...idiot. at a 100mph glance on my cell phone (which, I can view the internetz on, unlike the 80's rotary phone you use and subsequently base your value of things in the same decade) it LOOKS LIKE a CE on a 5" screen and that was based on the tone of the dash, which LOOKED CE to me. guess I need to adjust the RGB knobs on this thing. perhaps you can help...

either way....you can't build that bus for the asking price. so, again....stop bitching.....cheap ass

with love,

idiot

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

YadnusBug wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2076651 For the money they want. shouldn't the bus actually be described correctly? This is a 1979 bus, not a 78 and of course its not a champagne, but don't tell the seller that. Rolling Eyes

You are absolutely correct. The ad has been reported.
Thank you
Tcash
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

YadnusBug wrote:
looks like a CE to me.

youranusbug~

and you're spelling sucks ass...idiot. at a 100mph glance on my cell phone (which, I can view the internetz on, unlike the 80's rotary phone you use and subsequently base your value of things in the same decade) it LOOKS LIKE a CE on a 5" screen and that was based on the tone of the dash, which LOOKED CE to me. guess I need to adjust the RGB knobs on this thing. perhaps you can help...

either way....you can't build that bus for the asking price. so, again....stop bitching.....cheap ass

with love,

idiot

Tough crowd Shocked
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

What I'm hearing from everybody in this thread is... none of us can afford to pay the amount our current buses/vans sell for. If you bought yours yesterday, a replacement is already more expensive. So since we already have ours, we are only complaining that we can't buy newer or better ones. The trick to finding ACVW happiness is being satisfied with the bus/van status quo. (Insert a Buddhist "oohhhhmmmmmm" chant here.)

Oops... I just violated the "no posting when drinking" rule.
Popcorn <--- [replace the popcorn with a couple gin n tonics]

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

posting while drinking is fun.

the days of the 400.00 bus are over. nice, ready (or dam near ready) to use buses are 10-15K+ all day long. I don't like it, but it's the reality. adapt, or move on.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
What I'm hearing from everybody in this thread is... none of us can afford to pay the amount our current buses/vans sell for. If you bought yours yesterday, a replacement is already more expensive. So since we already have ours, we are only complaining that we can't buy newer or better ones. The trick to finding ACVW happiness is being satisfied with the bus/van status quo. (Insert a Buddhist "oohhhhmmmmmm" chant here.)

Oops... I just violated the "no posting when drinking" rule.
Popcorn <--- [replace the popcorn with a couple gin n tonics]

This place is by far the status quo. Most people buy their rig and go out and enjoy it. Sometimes they wander in here and have to brave the Fire Swamp.

I love this thread. I love my VW stuff, but one day I will sell it all. When that day comes it looks like for a good profit as well. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I'm not posting regarding the price but this is a weird trend I've noticed. Older Brazilian buses that people turn into fake last edition buses.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/vw-bus-kombi/6218203304.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 407 of 490

Jump to: