Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 449, 450, 451 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I'm betting there are a few pounds of Bondo under that bad white paint job, just waiting for the rust bubbles to emerge.
Add to that the lack of info regarding its current condition, I'd put it in the $3-4K range. And wouldn't even buy it for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

the_benjamin_effect wrote:
notchboy wrote:
About what? He wanting to buy it? Sell it? It has no description, no pic of the motor or underside? What do I get for 45k for a bay window bus with a custom treatment????? I could go on. Rolling Eyes

Notchboy,

I agree with you... I could go on as well. Listings with no engine photos kill me a little inside every time.

He is looking at it after Christmas to buy possible. I have my thoughts, but wanted unbiased opinions.

No description kills me too...

I personally think if all things being equal - If it were a 100% bone stock, never wrecked, og everything 15k odometer bus then yeah, $45k - go for it see if you get it.

Its not. Its obviously been redone. Based on that quality from $8k to $15k. What makes it a 45k bus?? Pop tops don't even sell for close to that.

Tell your buddy to steer clear cuz aint nothing good going to come from that way overpriced custom bus. The seller is high.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

the_benjamin_effect wrote:
notchboy wrote:
About what? He wanting to buy it? Sell it? It has no description, no pic of the motor or underside? What do I get for 45k for a bay window bus with a custom treatment????? I could go on. Rolling Eyes

Notchboy,

I agree with you... I could go on as well. Listings with no engine photos kill me a little inside every time.

He is looking at it after Christmas to buy possible. I have my thoughts, but wanted unbiased opinions.

No description kills me too...

45k? Does it come with a Subaru motor? I see that it comes with a front windshield that has the blue tinting on it and maybe a slider rail with possible rust issues and a custom interior that doesn’t fit together 100%.

For 45k couldn’t you buy a bus and have it restored or is your friend impatient and really likes the custom interior?
HippieAteMyLunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

What's up guys,

I'm the buddy the OP was talking about. I'm currently looking at this 71 VW Transporter as a gift for my wife and family for sticking with me through my enlistment. I currently think it's worth about 38k. But I'm just now starting out on this journey so I dont know much and any help would be appreciated.

I found this link as well

https://hayesclassics.com/inventory/1971/Volkswagen/transporter/CA/Roseville/00000002212145907/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

HippieAteMyLunch wrote:
What's up guys,

I'm the buddy the OP was talking about. I'm currently looking at this 71 VW Transporter as a gift for my wife and family for sticking with me through my enlistment. I currently think it's worth about 38k. But I'm just now starting out on this journey so I dont know much and any help would be appreciated.

I found this link as well

https://hayesclassics.com/inventory/1971/Volkswagen/transporter/CA/Roseville/00000002212145907/

Just for sale price reference...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-...2019-12-23
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Is it me or does the picture of the rear seat show either over spray or rust bubbles on the door belt line?

There are a lot of little details that say this was a quick restore to have something cool on a showroom floor. Things like the windshield spray nozzle thats old gray plastic or the scratched up ignition housing and steering column and the faded ashtray shift diagram.

For 45k the bus better be all original in really good shape or it better be a near perfect restoration/custom restoration job. This bus isn't. Without seeing the frame and engine bay, I say 15k-20k tops.
HippieAteMyLunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Is it me or does the picture of the rear seat show either over spray or rust bubbles on the door belt line?

There are a lot of little details that say this was a quick restore to have something cool on a showroom floor. Things like the windshield spray nozzle thats old gray plastic or the scratched up ignition housing and steering column and the faded ashtray shift diagram.

For 45k the bus better be all original in really good shape or it better be a near perfect restoration/custom restoration job. This bus isn't. Without seeing the frame and engine bay, I say 15k-20k tops.

Thanks for the quick reply that's awesome. I'm willing to do that as well but I need to know what I'm looking for to change the price. If they're over then they know they're over and we can work a better deal.

Landon "Mailman" Hall
HD 48 Custom
Poss: 71 VW Transporter
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I don't think you're getting the message we are trying to convey.
So, to save your family years of head- and heartaches, WALK AWAY!

There are numerous knowledgable Samba members in your area who will, I'm sure, be more than willing to help you find a decent van/bus that will serve you better for half that price.

WALK AWAY!
WALK AWAY!
WALK AWAY!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippieAteMyLunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Well if that's the case I'm about to move from Oak Harbor Wa, down to Monroe LA, I'll be willing to trade in a 2010 ford fusion as well. We will be headed south along the west coast through Oregon to California through Tahoe National Forest over to Vegas then back to California to see the pee wee herman dinosaurs for my son. Then were going to head east to the Grand Canyon then to Midland Tx where I'll be living for work and then to Monroe LA, to see my family. I'm interested to buy if your interested to sell. I'm looking for a new family vehicle for my wife and 2 kids. I'd like to get one around the beginning of this trip so we can actually road trip with some class lol. Just let me know on here or pm me if your around one of those areas. Thanks in advance and have a Merry Christmas.

looking for old VW Transporter or camper for my family to use as a daily driver. Preferably ready for the road and looking sharp! I have a 2010 ford fusion I'm willing to throw in as well.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Well, have I got a bus for you. I'm in San Diego, just about close to listing my 74 Westfalia I've been restoring for the last 10 years. Look down below in my sig line for the link to the build.

If you like what you see, PM - Private message me or call/text (760)484-4028.

Mine is a real camper, properly restored and automatic.

Let me know, maybe we can do something in the future.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Well, have I got a bus for you. I'm in San Diego, just about close to listing my 74 Westfalia I've been restoring for the last 10 years. Look down below in my sig line for the link to the build.

^^^^
THAT is the one I would go for. Dancing
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Hello,
I'd stay looking for an early bus, myself. 1971 is the best year, it's very simple to work on in it's stock condition.
The bus you posted is a bit high priced for what it is(not original) and no pop top.
Heck, someone just sold/flipped one for 11K and it had a bit of rust on it and sure wasn't all original... you never know in this market what someone is willing to pay for something they want...
Good luck finding what you want. Yet, I'd stay with an early bus, less to go wrong...and less money when it does.
HippieAteMyLunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I'm willing to do up to 25k all in on it after what yall have said. How can I walk him down from that outrageous price?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

You are entitled to your own opinion, preferences, and choices of spending money.
That 71 bus for $45k is just gross. Nothing original. Weird color choice for the year. Interior looks like a cheap shop that specialized in Bel Air’s whipped up the job for some quick money before the holiday. This bus is shiny. That’s it.
I too, agree, there is probably a better bus to be had than this one for the money. Filler and glaze all underneath the white, without a doubt.
No mentioning of drivetrain? Engine health? Who built it? Spec sheet? Completed body work? Paint shop?
This is the reason we don’t like flippers in the VW world. This thing is grotesque. I would’ve bought Aeromech Red Westy in a heartbeat over this turd. It’s a Transporter!
This bus is worth $20k to a knucklehead. I wouldn’t pay $10k.

All in favor for the OP to continue his search?
Aye!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Aye.

HippieAteMyLunch wrote:
I'm willing to do up to 25k all in on it after what y'all have said. How can I walk him down from that outrageous price?

Don't walk that price down, walk away from that bus.

The <$2k cost of a good classic car shipper is negligible at your price point. Expand your search to areas with knowledgeable folks who can do a pre-purchase inspection. For reference, my inspections cost $150-$250 and include about a hundred photos, a data sheet on state of tune, a few paragraphs of honest opinions, and videos of cold starting, test driving, and Serious Issues. :)

Help us help you by sorting this list into the order of most-to-least important:

• Speed
• Operating economy
• Cosmetic appearance
• Ease of maintenance
• Reliability

- What is your intended use for the car?
- Who is the primary driver, and do they have a preference for auto/manual transaxles, or power/non-power brakes?
- Is $25k the FINAL budget, or are you allotting funds for repairs that WILL have to be made?
- Are you aware that there are currently zero (0) Volkswagen buses for sale that need absolutely no work performed?

That last point sucks, but you will learn it eventually. Better before the purchase than after…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
notchboy wrote:

^^^^
THAT is the one I would go for. Dancing

Thanks brother! My offer is now off the table. Good luck getting that bus you want for a better price for you.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
HippieAteMyLunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Notchboy I sent you a pm
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Lame y’all are bashing Andrew for selling a bay tire cover for 10 bucks. I’ve bought many parts for my ‘67 type 1 from Andrew for good prices that other people might have thrown away.

I’m sure at some point he will trash some that don’t sell but I’m damn grateful to people that make parts available for reasonable prices even if in poor condition.

Anyway......saw this one locally, looks pretty nice but wow 50k.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

COMPLETE WITH EVERY PART IT CAME WITH FROM THE FACTORY

Is what that ad said for that Turd for $45 K, but has a pic of the interior, passenger side, showing the air duct coming out from under the dash, and it hooks to ??? the fresh air duct that runs along the door, oh but the assclown that did the interior REMOVED IT !!!!!! Yes, there are waaay better Bay Buses out there. Keep hunting.........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Want to see some of the best buses in the southwest come to BBB next month in Az. Over 600 there last year. A lot of sellers. Four day event and campout.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 449, 450, 451 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 450 of 490

Jump to: