Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

difference in back seats?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: difference in back seats? Reply with quote

Ok guys, I am still new to the vanagon world, and am slowly learning. Last night I tried putting a rear seat that folds down into a flat surface for sleeping (Zbed maybe?) into a 84 country homes camper. The seat thta is in it now, just folds down and then there should be an "adventure wagon" type bed that folds over. I do not have all the right pieces or pictures. So I have a Zbed? from a weekender and tried putting the weekender bed into the CHC. The issue is that the weekender bed bracket is about 3 inches shorter that the the actual 84. I then put the bed from my syncro in to 84 and that fit. So does anyone kknow how to modify the bed from the weekender to make it fit into the CHC? is this possible or is it totally different inside measurements?
Thanks
I am trying to hook up a bed for my buddy so he can go to Jerome and sleep with the newborn and wife on the same level. They slept up top before and said that it was not that roomy. Any suggestions?
does anyone have any plans or pics for the adventure wagon type fold out bed we might be able to build? thanks
Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know,these are the differences I've found
stock vanagon back seat/beds are....
1...fixed 3 seater GL till 86...clip on kick board
2...Westy bed (two seater) bolts to a wooden bulkhead.on cabinet side
3...Wolfsburg/GL87 on.. rear seat/bed ...requires 2" spacers on each side(sections of 2x2 steel box,with a nut welded on one side) bolts to stock mounting points...difference is to clear the plastic body panels in these models.
4...Stock GL rear seat/bed 87 on...full width bed/ seat.No spacers, needs flat side panels to fit.

3&4 have optional 3 point seatbelt upgrade
Hope this helps, or gets you better info
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you add a 3 point belt to a late Westy?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:

Go westy has a kit...kinda steep though...I thought about going to a wrecking yard as some of the PDX Westravaganzer's have done the conversion. Was just looking on GW last night. BTW, Check your PM..
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4259...amp;start=
Famous 01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this applies to you but The bed/seat frame from a Weekender is about 4 inches narrower than an identical-appearing bed/seat from a plain old van. The narrower bed uses some spacers on each side that screw into the side of the van to make up the difference. You can see the spacer in this picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
As far as I know,these are the differences I've found
stock vanagon back seat/beds are....
1...fixed 3 seater GL till 86...clip on kick board
2...Westy bed (two seater) bolts to a wooden bulkhead.on cabinet side
3...Wolfsburg/GL87 on.. rear seat/bed ...requires 2" spacers on each side(sections of 2x2 steel box,with a nut welded on one side) bolts to stock mounting points...difference is to clear the plastic body panels in these models.
4...Stock GL rear seat/bed 87 on...full width bed/ seat.No spacers, needs flat side panels to fit.

3&4 have optional 3 point seatbelt upgrade
Hope this helps, or gets you better info

My '85 had option 4 (passenger GL with full-width Z-bed)... just to add to the inventory. I have no idea how early that Z-bed was put into production. I also had the 2 seat middle bench in that van, and the front edge of the Z-bed abuts the back of the 2 seat bench.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fold down bed was an option from at least 85, but I think it might even have been 84 when it became available.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys, we will mess around with this in the next few weeks, and will let you guys know. thanks for the great info. does anyone have a picture with the set in and the spacers? I am looking for ideas to what to do with the space on each side. I am thinking about the bay window "armrest" for the westy.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move it all to the drivers side and put a cabinet down the passengers side from the back door to the slider Very Happy
The best arrangement, by far
Use the search...I cant remember the topic but it was in the last 2 months
One of our memebers did a beautiful interior with a oofset bench/bed and a aftermarket fridge.
I should've bookmarked it....Duh!
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
Move it all to the drivers side and put a cabinet down the passengers side from the back door to the slider Very Happy
The best arrangement, by far
Use the search...I cant remember the topic but it was in the last 2 months
One of our memebers did a beautiful interior with a oofset bench/bed and a aftermarket fridge.
I should've bookmarked it....Duh!

The old Splitty and Bay campers had the closet on the passenger side. While I liked it in some ways, it really is nice to have that back window open for daily driving. The side view mirrors are good, but more visibility is better. You can't see anything out the driver's side rear window anyway, so it makes more sense to me to put the cabinet on that side. On the other hand, though, it's nice to be able to reach in the closet and grab a jacket or something without climbing in the van.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:

The old Splitty and Bay campers had the closet on the passenger side. While I liked it in some ways, it really is nice to have that back window open for daily driving. The side view mirrors are good, but more visibility is better. You can't see anything out the driver's side rear window anyway, so it makes more sense to me to put the cabinet on that side. On the other hand, though, it's nice to be able to reach in the closet and grab a jacket or something without climbing in the van.

You have to stay below the windows...I'll find the link
Here it is
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301201&highlight=ironing+board
Scroll down a few....I would use a narrower cabinet, but the basic layout is my favorite.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... that is a pretty sweet design.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:

Bus boys, Van Cafe and Gowesty all have kits.. or you can pull front belts form a wreck.
The bolt holes/mounts are there from the factory (under the rear panels)

I'm not thrilled with running the belt thru the rear cabinet (ala GW solution) and am playing with some different approaches while I redesign my rear bench to stock front buckets.

I opted to buy new from GW anyway.. The idea of using old belts when I have two young kids in the back doesn't "sit" well with me.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
GWTWTLW wrote:

Bus boys, Van Cafe and Gowesty all have kits.. or you can pull front belts form a wreck.
The bolt holes/mounts are there from the factory (under the rear panels)

I'm not thrilled with running the belt thru the rear cabinet (ala GW solution) and am playing with some different approaches while I redesign my rear bench to stock front buckets.

I opted to buy new from GW anyway.. The idea of using old belts when I have two young kids in the back doesn't "sit" well with me.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. My 5 year old (as of today!) is in a booster now so we need a 3 point belt for him. The AW had the factory 3 point belts which was great. Given what I just went through, I'm going to be as anal with belts as I am with tires! I have no problem paying a premium for good belts.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famous 01- I just got those "spacers" from the guy I got the seats from, he only had two of them. my question is : am I missing 2?
do they only go on one side only?
or according to the picture https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/469001.jpg
it shows both brackets on one side, I am assuming I am missing the other ones. any help. They look pretty easy to replicate. thanks guys just trying to get the rear seat all together
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to confirm, I would not be able to take the seat bottom from a standard GL passenger van and bolt it right into my '90 multivan? As far as the above posts indicate, the multivan seat bottom is 4" narrower than the standard passenger van's seat bottom, right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: