Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust pits & tire seating?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Rust pits & tire seating? Reply with quote

Good morning. I finally tracked down a set of 15" rims for my crew cab. I knew they were rusty when I got them, but upon actually looking at them more closely, I see that there is a good bit of pitting all over, including where the bead of the tire should sit & seal up.
I intend to have these blasted, and then either painted or powdercoated, but I am wondering how smooth of a surface I need to have for the tires to seat/seal on there safely and correctly? I don't want to have any slow leaks or anything like that.
Any tips? Will a couple coats of primer and paint smooth it out?
thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Empi Sprint Stars that had some pitting on the inside of the sealing surface. I used MasterSeries on the inside of the wheels where the tube would sit (if there was one) and spread the heavy particulate that settled at the bottom of the can around the edge of the wheel where the tire bead would seal.

It worked like a dream ! ! ! The MasterSeries hardened, sealed the rust and filled the pits perfectly.

Luck !

TC
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently removed an unused tire from a badly rusted rim and installed it on a moderately pitted rim and it held 100% pressure for at least a month till I sold the car, all I did was take the rust off on a wire wheel and paint the inside dollar black. The rubber doesn't seem to have trouble sealing against the rough surface. I think it's mostly actual particles of rust that tend to cause leaks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I guess I'll see how they look after sandblasting & painting. thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
americanautomoving
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to make sure that the pits aren't too deep. If you are going to the blast the wheels it will make the surface a lot smoother, but you just need to make sure that there aren't any gigantic pits that could cause leakage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: