Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

inline fuse holder
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turkishgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

where does and how does this fuse holder hangs in the motor area in a 74 super beetle?any photos?do i need some part to attach this inline fuse holder? Thanks
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=619752
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the back-up light fuse? Originally they used a special clip to secure the fuseholder. You don't see those clips very often these days though. The 74 Owner's manual has a picture: (click on the picture for a full-size view of it)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkishgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.do you know how to find the clip?
bon2198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure if they sell that actual clip anymore or not. you may ask your local VW dealer or pay a visit to some junk yards.

At the end of the day it's YOUR car so do what YOU want to it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note - earlier bugs had the fuse above the generator, as shown by the black arrow in the middle picture here:

Well I wanted one of those for my 62.

I had added backup lights and had just been using the wiring harness hold-down clip on that side to secure my fuseholder. But it was wearing out, so I wanted some kind of clip. Either style, I think one type requires a small hole in the fan housing to insert the clip, and the other has a 6mm hole to bolt beneath the coil mounting.

I dug around the VW salvage yard I used to work at looking for such a clip a couple of years ago and could not find one.

I should have posted a WTB (wanting to buy) ad on TheSamba Classifieds though, I'm sure one would have turned up. One style just poppped up on a quick search:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=607991

But what I ended up finding though, was a solid metal clip that was big enough to hold the fuseholder after some bending. I then used a step stud (actually a valve cover mounting stud from a VW Golf) and a couple of M6 nuts and washers to mount in place of my top right generator-to-shroud bolt. This is what it ended up looking like:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best photo of this detail but here's an engine picture of my ex-'67 Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=477764

You can see the clip on the right-hand side.

The Bug was pretty much all original.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's for an earlier model, maybe it will work though? (Not my ad...)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=607991
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I post that same link just above? Wink
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap.... Sorry. Embarassed
turkishgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Not the best photo of this detail but here's an engine picture of my ex-'67 Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=477764

You can see the clip on the right-hand side.

The Bug was pretty much all original.

Only a 12-year-old thread (;-P ), but I have a '67 (very original) that I pulled the motor out to reseal and clean up. I remember disconnecting the fuse to pull it. Months later, finally, the motor went in but to my "horror" I can only find one side to the fuse holder. I'm hoping I did not bury the other end behind the new tar board...lol. Does one side go to the coil and the other side back around and down to the switch on the trans? Maybe I've just lost the "coil end" of the fuse holder??

Thanks for any help Everett!

ooh, I just found a pic of the motor before I pulled it. Hey, it even has the "clip". Now to find that. Haha.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

The "hot" wire with the inline fuse comes from coil positive terminal #15 and goes to the reverse switch at the front of the transmission.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
The "hot" wire with the inline fuse comes from coil positive terminal #15 and goes to the reverse switch at the front of the transmission.

Thanks. I must have put the half of the fuse holder with the wire to the coil in a box somewhere. I appreciate the fact you are monitoring 12 year old threads. ;-P
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

What amp in-line fuse for #15 wire from fuse block to coil?

Rick
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

ricaroo wrote:
Hi everyone,

Rick

Did you see this upthread?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

ricaroo wrote:
Hi everyone,
Rick

8-amp from factory
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
ricaroo wrote:
Hi everyone,

Rick

Did you see this upthread?

Q-Dog, yes I did however, it doesn’t mention the #15 Wire from the Input side of the fuse block directly to the coil...
I found my answer a few minutes ago in a older post where it indicated to use either 15amp or 20amp in-line fuse for this application.

Rick
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

I’ve been using an 8 amp German fuse in this application for years, and no problems. That’s what my Owners Manual says, anyway.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

Tim,
That’s the same size fuse Cusser indicated as well. What year is yours, mine is a 10 fuse block 71 and it doesn’t reference it. I looked at a 12 fuse block 71 and it says un-fused connection
My decision is to try an 8amp fuse.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Rick
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: inline fuse holder Reply with quote

Rick, I have the 12 fuse bank. I can’t see why the fuse from the #15 coil connection to the transmission switch would be any different, from year to year, regardless of how many other fuses that one model has, compared to another.

The only fuse I have that is over the 8 and 16 amp varieties is a 20 amp modern fuse that I have at a hard-start relay. Other than that, I follow what the Owners Manual says. It’s odd that yours doesn’t mention the size of the fuse.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: