Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

This is not an advertisement even though it sounds like it. I need to get the word out to the community that this solution is available for a broken down bus and people who want to resume their trip asap

Guys,
I'm developing quite a track record helping travelers in distress coming through San Diego. This lead me to my latest project. A turnkey 1600 bus engine that would fit a 1968-1971 bus. I happened to already have most of the needed parts stashed in various sheds and bins on my property so when my schedule cleared I decided to put this together. It's currently on my run stand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I could have used this last year when a couple from Toronto blew their engine around Santa Barbara. They rented a Uhaul and tow dolly to get to me.

So this is a public service announcement for you guys. I can even palletize it for quick shipment.

1600 dual port
Doghouse cooler with hoover bit
Thermostatic flaps with thermostat
38 amp generator plus included 38 amp voltage regulator
Degreed pulley
mostly stock German tin with a few exceptions
Solex 30/31 PICT carburetor
SVDA distributor
Dansk heater boxes for bus
Stock bus muffler

Lastly, I haven't yet determined a price. This is a "better used" longblock, not freshly rebuilt but has great compression and oil pressure
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

good idea...

but...I wouldn't want the core engine from some traveling hippy...so I am unsure how you'd keep the idea alive at a decent price. you may get lots of offers to trade weed and/or time pounding on some road coolie...98% of these folks don't have 2 dimes to rub together...

having said that...and knowing you...that's a 2500 engine right there if it's truly bolt in...minus a few $$ if there is no clutch...which really...how could you know which pressure plate you'd need....

plus I am willing to bet that almost everything on said blown traveler engine will be missing/broken or Chinese...so take that into consideration for a core

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

does it have the adapter plate on the oil pump for a mustache bar or is it a universal case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

it is a nice thing to do Gary. Be sure to consider any potential liability in case it fails - especially if money trades hands, and the failure leaves them in a worse situation than before you intervened to help. Not everyone is as considerate and level-headed as you are towards others.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

Gary, I’m stuck outside Cardiff and have a box of 100 hummingbirds on meth to trade.....

Good on ya...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
does it have the adapter plate on the oil pump for a mustache bar or is it a universal case?

Universal case. This longblock came out of a 1971 bus last year. The forward firewall tin is missing and no mustache bar is included.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

I think it is a great idea.

Theres enough people in enough places to band spare parts together to make an emergency engine for a traveller in many parts of various nations. Yes it would cost something, though that all depends if anyone wants money for the parts and labor they put in or if it is philanthropic.

When I get the resources, I'd help build one for the north Georgia region, either by myself or with others. Another good way to pay things forward. If/when enough of these engines would be available in various regions, a QEC thread could be started.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

I’ve got one in upstate NY in Albany area.

It’s for getting you home, at which point you pull it and send it back for the next guy. I had two, but have given one away to an awesome young guy here who is doing a lot of good for others already.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

More pics. I forgot to say that this intake manifold has the power brake vacuum fitting.

Compression cold

Flap system before bead blast and paint

That's Telford, Bill Fowler, and my wife

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
or time pounding on some road coolie...

Shocked F’ing Skills Laughing

Applause That’s fantastic Aeromech. Great idea.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Shocked F’ing Skills Laughing

well...

I have read enough stories and seen enough gofundme crap to see what these would be travelers have in the coffers...which is pretty much an expensive camera, internet that they are probably sponging from people as they go and a really bendy vegan chick. something tells me gary doesn't want 'stache rash on his g-unit...he can't do it for free...I sure as hell wouldn't for some stranger.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

or time pounding on some road coolie...

Ohhh right Skills. I forgot about attractive Van Life types trading discount watches and vegan meals for an engine.

All I thought was this at the local Pilot and Love’s travel shop Wink

Still, aeromech has the right idea. I know a certain someone in the Pacific Northwest that has a “Bandaid” type 4 engine available for cheap in an emergency situation. Love this forum.
So let this be known to travelers in need reading this. Aeromech has a huge heart. Don’t take advantage of it. He has friends all over the country Twisted Evil

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. Coulda used it in December so I’m sure it will be needed soon. Smile

Who knows, maybe I’ll break down outside of La Jolla next week!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

Always got an engine for ya NY , Robbie.

Fair warning on my QEC engine..if you are selling eyeballs to freeload off society on a road trip, your engine blowing isn’t an emergency, it’s your luck running out. Not interested

If you are out doing good, measured as helping others, it’s free.

If you are on the road and want to avoid a sh**** repair by Franks Foreign fubars in Squirrely, NY, count on bolting this thing in to get you home then make some plans to get it back to me eventually.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

SwEEt!!

If you are too poor/lazy/stupid to build a motor up or pay your dues,
You can freeload one if you can make it to San Diego! Very Happy

Razz

FWIW,
I did meet one of my best VW friends ever that way years ago on the STF...

Occasionally, it does happen to someone who doesn’t totally deserve it.

What’s That Noise?!?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

Giving ( freely ) is not some character flaw or personal failing. It is, in fact, a human characteristic of the highest value, free from the evaluations of those consumed by the Protestant work ethic ( and the slavery that it embodies ).

Good for you!
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Flap system before bead blast and paint

I may be wrong, maybe it's really hot there, but is that thermostat good? Looks expanded.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

Gary (and Telford) are good people for sure. When I was at Gary's, Telford and Gary were fine tuning the engine. It's sounded fantastic and strong. The heads were very clean and my bet is the long block doesn't have many miles on it.

I don't know Kevin, I've seen a few of the Vanlife gals. I'd be glad to let them keep me warm in my bus (if I was single). Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd be glad to let them keep me warm in my bus (if I was single). Wink

don't let that stop you. the more the merrier. you could really see how much fire power your distributor has Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: QEC = Quick Engine Change for wounded traveler Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd be glad to let them keep me warm in my bus (if I was single). Wink

don't let that stop you. the more the merrier. you could really see how much fire power your distributor has Very Happy

I like where you're going with this... Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: