Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Follow-up on Beetle sale - (Long)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Follow-up on Beetle sale - (Long) Reply with quote

Hi all:

I thought you might get a laugh out of this. Unfortunately I believe its an example of the state of the repair business for AC VWs. You may recall a thead where I sold a car and was subsequently contacted by the buyer about a bent crankshaft and problems with the car. He said it was leaking oil all over the place. I had the car a year and a half. It was a great, reliable car.

Anyway, the buyer had the car inspected by their "mechanic". Turns out it was a bent crank pulley.

The buyer sent me a bill today in the amount of $1,158.87 expecting me to pay for the "repairs" from their "mechanic". Here is what is listed:

Problem: "Growling noise from engine"

Diagnosis: "Loose cooling tin. Some tin looks home made."

"Removed engine for further diagnosis. Removed all metal pieces from engine. Found alternator stand broken. Cleaned and glass beaded all engine pieces. Painted replacement metal. Replaced oil bath cleaner with paper element". Replaced crank pulley.

That is it - $1,158.87! Replaced an original oil bath air cleaner with a paper unit! Replaced the doghouse because it was loose! As far as the home made cooling tin. Some metal surround pieces were made that fit around the plugs down below. It was a '75 car with a '71 engine so you cannot buy the tin for this combination. I wonder what the "mechanic" installed?

It gets better. The car had the original sport wheels. During the "mechanic's" inspection they noted the following:

"Noticed all four wheels are incorrect for the car".

He must have a cousin that sells AC VW parts. I went over that tin with a fine tooth comb. There was not a single screw loose or missing.

Really amazing. If it wasn't for the fact that the "mechanic" is three and a half hours away, I would have some words with them. The mechanic is in Roanoke, VA. I won't post the name here as I don't want any possible trouble but if anyone is interested, PM me.
Fletch75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone got poked... Laughing Think I would take a road trip Twisted Evil
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you sell it 'as is' or did you offer them a warranty?? Laughing
Topline Parts
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sold as-is with no warranty.

The buyer says I owe them money because I said the car was in "Good Condition".

They believe their "mechanic's" statements indicate otherwise and that the vehicle was misrepresented.

Even though I sold the car "As-is" I did offer to consider any repairs if they took the car to a reputable VW mechanic that I know of. Its about an hour from where they live. They refused. I did this because I am honest and stand behind what I sell.

They are either being taken by this "mechanic" or they are not being honest. Either way I told them no way.
thomrobson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this smells like as scam! Liar
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the meachanic named "Mario"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
realbugfanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow. Do like they said in the other thread & show them printouts of both threads. Let them take you to claims, print these out for proof, & take pictures of VW Sport Wheels & such. Maybe even offer to go above & beyond by offering them $20 for a new crank pulley! It just burns me to see mechanics take advantage of people - especially when they think they know what they're doing when they don't.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, you're opening yourself up for abuse from the buyer(s). I'd ignore them. Cash changed hands and all sales are final, "As-is, where-is".
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it was a quality ground up resto, it should be easy enough to find a bunch of little things wrong, heck the car is over 30 years old, what do they expect. The fact that the 'mechanic' pointed out that all four wheel are 'incorrect' for the car tells me he is not entirely trustworthy, especially since the original problem was stated as a 'growling noise in the engine'. Possibly the owners said it was supposed to be a stock factory unmodified car, but then that would call into question his swapping a factory oil bath air cleaner for a nice aftermarket paper one. Rolling Eyes
Topline Parts
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the so-called mechanic and tell him to eat a dick. I'll even pay for the call.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy:

I though I had heard the end until I received the bill and letter today. I do plan to ignore them.

I thought the "repairs" would be of interest for the board.

Too many inconsistencies and changed stories. There is a scam somewhere here.

Its funny. I was actually thinking of calling the mechanic but its probably best to let it go.
realbugfanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Call the so-called mechanic and tell him to eat a dick. I'll even pay for the call.

Laughing Laughing That's awesome.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me their contact info, I'm looking for a set of Sport wheels and they might want to sell them as they are "incorrect"! Rolling Eyes
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
neonrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realbugfanatic wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Laughing That's awesome.

X2!!!!!
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say road trip! 3 hrs aint bad and there is got to be a "world biggest ball of string" or something worth seeing.
Search this forum, pull up all the info on motor swaps, wheel and tires, and gather up all the info you can. Hell, even ask the shop guys that you like to come along for a ride.
Call the mechanic and set an appointment.
Or...

If they have your address and keep sending you stuff, contact you attorney and send them back a cease and desist with their offices letterhead. If it is a scam, that would send them running.

Just a couple ideas. I have more, but they get nasty.

Justin.
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why, when I sell a car, I don't offer anything except directions to a Burger King or something. It isn't that I don't want to stand behind what I sold, but you are opening yourself up to abuse when you tell them you'll stand behind repairs made by a reputable VW mechanic.

If someone doesn't know ACVW's, they don't know what to expect and generally will find a mechanic who hasn't seen one in twenty years, much less worked on one.

The wheel part of this story is what gets me. If the buyers assumed they were buying a completely original car, "original" becomes subjective. I work at a car dealership and the general manager has found out that Mustang wheels fit Escapes. He buys chrome non-Ford wheels for the Mustangs and the Mustang take-offs go to Escapes.

Some day those Escapes are going to become someone's headache when they try to match them. I can see it now...

"I bought the Escape brand new, so I know those wheels were offered from Ford for the Escape".
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop has a web site. I sent them an email this evening outlining what I think is wrong with their repair and asking to speak with the owner. It will be interesting to see what response I receive.

This is the expertise they claim to have on their web site:

"Quality Import Service"

"Performance car or minivan. Japanese. German. Italian or English. No matter where your car comes from there is no better place to bring it than The Sports Car Clinic"

Catchy name, huh? I wasn't going to say who they were but what the heck. Everything I am reporting is true since I have the bill.

Here is the web site:

http://www.wefiximports.com/

Basically they "specialize" in everything. Uh huh.

The bill says the car was brought in on May 15 and was not completed until June 13. Seems like a long time to make the repairs. Maybe they were learning on the job? Labor only has a total on the bill of $546. No indication of hours spent or rate. I never saw that before. Only itemization are the parts.

The stupid buyer sent me an email this evening. I replied telling him that if he bothers me again, he will hear from my attorney.

I don't think having someone come to your home really matters. Once they purchase the car, they will have your address from the title.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw that. Send the shop the link to this thread and your other thread.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The stupid buyer sent me an email this evening. I replied telling him that if he bothers me again, he will hear from my attorney.

Right On! dont delete anything they send you, it makes good ammo!
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh what a mess.

i remember i sold a dirt bike on ebay. the guy came to pick it up. i kick started it, started up on the first try. rode it up and down the street to show it was functional. he handed me the cash, we wrote up a bill of sale signed and went on our ways.

a week later he tells me "the bike isnt working, i want a refund" Confused

"it worked when i gave it to you. i dont know what you did, but its yours man."

"yeah, well whenever i buy something, i can work something out if the item isnt to my liking..."

"sorry man. no warranty stated or implied. i spent the money on tuition anyway. you're on your own. *click*"

haha. some people just dont get it...

good luck though. as long as you didnt write up a warranty and get it notorized etc. you should be fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: