Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Cool. Simple fix.

Now.. if you want to trick it out.
Mount a little strut (like the type that lifts the rear hatch) inside the tube and it will lift by itself!

I did the mod on the riser...Ok, I'm gonna trick it out now with one of my left over hatch struts..thanks for the mod
1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

Sept 2016, the vertical table slider mod has been absolutely trouble-free, and a great mod. Great to have the table same height as the stove, plus access to the bins. Would be nice to have side access to the cabinet though since the high table now blocks the cabinet door. See this thread for other ways to access the rear cabinet.

========= BELOW refers to the MAGNET enhancement from pg 1 ==========

but NOTE: I have a problem with theMAGNET part of this mod. Kids riding in the back used the table as an armrest, constantly jostling it, loosening the thumbwheel; thus it jostles even more. Over time, the magnets protruding made ugly scars on the "wall". See this mod to address the table swivel/handwheel. I have not tried it. I suspect this allows you to keep the handwheel tighter and still be able to swivel it. Whereas with no plastic, you have to keep the handwheel loose to the point where it "loosens itself". I have not tested the plastic friction mod.

Also the height setting that aligns the magnets with the necessary "iron strip" is above the bottom of the curtains, which prevent the magnets from getting to their iron target. You have to deal with with the curtain length (or cut it).

The magnets could work well but needs more developement. I had hoped it would be one of those "invisible" enhancements, but it needs additional iron targets (that protect the westy wall). The targets need some float so all four magnets contact the targets in concert. Targets could be unsightly, but a magnetic stainless might work.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

******* Easy access to the cabinets!!! *******

Hello folks,

I saw a similar modification somewhere on the web and decided to copy it. You can set your table at any height with the knob - which is great when you want to get into the storage cabinets.

The modification is to add a pipe INSIDE the bent table support pipe. This holds everything in line when you lift the table.

Actually you CAN raise the table without a pipe inside, but when you try to put the table back down it will punch a hole in your Wheaties box, and then it's pretty hard to align it onto the little plastic bushing at the bottom.

I can't claim it's the best thing I ever did for my Westy
...... because JackBombay's air lift kit ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=578890 ) still has that status in our van. But its a good one, another modification that I wish I had ten years ago!!!

Stuff you need:

1) one inch electrical conduit (about 22 3/4"). 10 feet costs about $11.00 at a hardware store.
2) A benchtop Vise
3) Hacksaw
4) quarter-round file, (fine tooth)
5) hammer and punch
6) 10mm wrench

Pull out the support pipe and remove the lower bracket. This lower bracket will be modified. You will remove the plastic bushing and put a 22+ inch pipe in its place.

You will have to remove the top bracket too (when you install your 'slider').

"One INCH Electrical conduit" actually neasures about 1.165" outside diameter, which is PERFECT to insert into the table support. Almost no slop and it doesn't bind at all ----just perfect!. Don't bother measuring diameters, just bring your table support pipe into the store and check that the conduit slides into it before you buy. There can be variations in the pipe used to mfr Westies, and also variations in the OD of electrical conduit. A 10 foot section was only $10.65 at Home Depot.

Insert the conduit until it touches the 'bend' in the table support. Mark it and cut off. It's better to cut it a half inch long (about 22 3/4") then trim it after you have verified that it is 1/4" higher than the upper bracket.

Remove the white plastic bushing. The hole in the bracket must be opened up from 1.140" to the diameter of the conduit: 1.162". This is only .022" of enlargement (= 1/2 mm) , very easy to do.

It only took this quarter-round file 2 1/2 minutes. The ideal condition that you want is the bracket fitting TIGHT around the pipe. So file slowly and keep checking the pipe. For this reason I recommend leaving the Dremel in the drawer and go buy a "fine 1/4 round" file. Yes, I understand this is difficult for you modern fellas to go all old-school manual but trust me it's better this way.

Also file the corner off the pipe edge so you can jam it into the hole tightly.

Nice tight fit huh?
Cut a bunch of 'tabs' with a hacksaw. This hacksaw blade is a 24T (24 teeth per inch) It would have
been MUCH easier to make cuts in this thinwall pipe with a fine toothed blade (32T).

Bend the tabs over with a punch. After the first one, put the table support pipe (the heavy bent pipe that supports your westy table) in the vise, and slide it into the table support pipe which will help to keep everything all straight. Don't bend them down flat, stop about 10-20 degrees short. When they are all bent outward most of the way, then Hammer them all flat against the bracket, (....which is backed up by the heavy table-support pipe.)

Ready to Install. This may be kind of ugly, but it's NOT going to be visible because it's the underside of the lower bracket.

Put the upper bracket onto the pipe, and then install the new lower bracket with pipe slider. Drop the table-support in.

Notice the internal slider extends about 1/4" above the top bracket for easier alignment when you drop the table support in from the top. The slider fits perfect, with almost no slop. Consequently the table is secure and slop-free at any height even almost touching the light.

Just finished this mod as per Sodo's instructions above. I looked at the other slightly faster mods over the last few pages and ultimately decided upon the bomb proof metal pipe route. I don't think the whole thing took more then 30 min after supplies procured, tools warmed and beer cooled (...and as long as you don't count the 30+ hours pursuing the Samba for the "perfect" solution for the lame table mount syndrome Rolling Eyes )

And bomb proof it is! Table to any orientation and height like it was meant to be. I added the 1-3/4" x 1-3/8 ID nylon bushing to the top hole to round the job out nicely. Thanks Sodo for the great instructions!

Now to the next mod.....propex beware! ("...wait, what's that puddle under the engine?!?!?" d'oh! )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandolismo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

Hey, I liked your idea and certainly wanted my table to behave that way. But I'm a lazy bastard.

So I got some conduit that fit OVER the table leg, placed it OVER the plastic gizmo at the bottom, and cut it EXACTLY the right length to fit between the lower and upper brackets. Then I slid the leg of the table in and I was done. Not counting purchasing the conduit, project time was 15 minutes, mostly because I filed the ends after cutting to smooth them off, for no good reason.

Works great, no issues one year on, and I use it a lot.

Necessity is the mother of invention; laziness is the mother of cleverness.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandolismo wrote:
Hey, I liked your idea and certainly wanted my table to behave that way. But I'm a lazy bastard.
So I got some conduit that fit OVER the table leg, placed it OVER the plastic gizmo at the bottom, and cut it EXACTLY the right length to fit between the lower and upper brackets. Then I slid the leg of the table in and I was done. Not counting purchasing the conduit, project time was 15 minutes, mostly because I filed the ends after cutting to smooth them off, for no good reason.
Works great, no issues one year on, and I use it a lot.
Necessity is the mother of invention; laziness is the mother of cleverness.

MsTaboo wrote:
Here's a pic of our solution, pretty much the same as everyones. Just a piece of ABS plastic and a couple of fittings. A little plastic filing in the corners but no metal work.

Yep, easy pleasey.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

IIRC, I posted this mod some years ago but it has held up well for the last 10+ years. At 6' 2", # 2 height position leaves room under table for my feet when lounging, gives better access to cubbies and provides a fairly long work bench with stove top down. I leave the table at this height. Height # 3 is great for food prep or for some tasks requiring better light. The table "swings" more easily. 82westyrabbit posted a great (IMO) fix for keeping the table secure during normal use.

The bathtub drain piece was shimmed to fit the hole and in recent times, I noted that it'd turned a little in the hole. Next time I'll use something stronger than silicone sealant as adhesive.

I recall adjusting the EMT conduit OD with emery cloth but I inserted a length of that into ABS. The table leg fits fairly tight to that so it may "shudder" a bit when raise/lowered but it works. I did not lube those metal to metal parts. The new pipe is secured to cabinet with pipe strap.

Neil.

Height #2

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

This is such an awesome modification and my hat's off to Sodo for doing this and starting this topic!

I just did mine. In stock I had both 3/4" Sch-40 PCV, 1" EMT conduit, which others have shown both work. I also had some aluminum tubing the same OD as the steel conduit and decided to use that. At Lowes bought a plastic fitting to fit between the bottom of the aluminum tube and the original plastic fitting at the floor. Fitting is a 3/4" PVC threaded nipple 1-3/8" long. Spent about 3 minutes filing the threads down partway to make a great press-fit into the aluminum tube. Then I turned what should have been another 5 minutes filing the other end into 30 minutes. I filed until I thought it was about right and found it was still too big. Repeat about 6 times until sufficiently filed! Very Happy I was just a bit too conservative about how much should some off and should have been more aggressive. I added a piece of electrical tape on the clamp plate that goes between the clamping screw and the leg tube, hoping to protect the tube's paint. Works GREAT!

Cost $0.52. No, wait. With tax $0.57! (Not including the aluminum tube I had in stock.) Laughing

New paint on the leg tube is drying now. I found a grey color I like. Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover in a color called Satin Stone Grey. Not a close match for the original leg color, but I like it better.

Thanks again Sodo and others who lead the way on this mod!

Regards,
Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

I was researching the adjustable table height mod and saw this about the magnets. I too tried small magnets but they didn't hold 100% of the time so I added a much bigger magnet, screwed into the c-pillar with a metal strip on the table. This has held 100% of the time for about a year.

Neodymium magnet...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L36SXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screwed to the c-pillar

Metal strap on the table

Sodo wrote:
Sept 2016, the vertical table slider mod has been absolutely trouble-free, and a great mod. Great to have the table same height as the stove, plus access to the bins. Would be nice to have side access to the cabinet though since the high table now blocks the cabinet door. See this thread for other ways to access the rear cabinet.

========= BELOW refers to the MAGNET enhancement from pg 1 ==========

but NOTE: I have a problem with theMAGNET part of this mod. Kids riding in the back used the table as an armrest, constantly jostling it, loosening the thumbwheel; thus it jostles even more. Over time, the magnets protruding made ugly scars on the "wall". See this mod to address the table swivel/handwheel. I have not tried it. I suspect this allows you to keep the handwheel tighter and still be able to swivel it. Whereas with no plastic, you have to keep the handwheel loose to the point where it "loosens itself". I have not tested the plastic friction mod.

Also the height setting that aligns the magnets with the necessary "iron strip" is above the bottom of the curtains, which prevent the magnets from getting to their iron target. You have to deal with with the curtain length (or cut it).

The magnets could work well but needs more developement. I had hoped it would be one of those "invisible" enhancements, but it needs additional iron targets (that protect the westy wall). The targets need some float so all four magnets contact the targets in concert. Targets could be unsightly, but a magnetic stainless might work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Povi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

This worked for me:

2' of 3/4" black iron pipe. Cut the threads off of one end of the 3/4" iron pipe if you want to do the bushing and pin to allow the table to pivot in the raised position. I put the orange cap back on, it takes up the slop. If you just want the extension, no cutting needed. Plug and play

The bushing is a grey pvc conduit reducer 1-1/4" to 1" The bushing had to be enlarged with a forstner bit, I don't recall the size. Well clamped and on a drill press. A spade bit I wouldn't try. Cleaned it up on a spindle sander. I forgot to take a photo of the bushing prior to enlarging and belt sanding

I used the front table and leg. All doors open, closet too. Swings over the closed kitchenette no trouble.

jefhaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

I used Povi's method, but had trouble enlarging the pvc conduit reducer.

Used a galvanized 1-1/2" insert coupling that fits perfectly. The coupling sits on the existing bracket for support. A hose clamp to keep it in place.

I did need to file down an interior ridge on the coupling and chose to cut one of the barbed ends off to reduce height.

Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There it is, the new default height of 32", 4.5" higher. A little harder to open the rear closet, but easier to get into the bins. The table now equal to the stove height makes cooking easier.

This is downright BRILLIANT!! Orange Bus Purple Bus Red Bus
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

I have always found the tables to be in my way, so they have been in storage for years. I may visit this option and consider installing the rear table.

Looking at the above picture, has anyone considered cutting the table shorter, just enough to clear the swing of the closet door?

As an alternative, I recall someone took the table and turned it into a closet door on the wide side, Removed the closet door and mounted it back on its support when a table was required.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

Does anyone else have the problem of the table leg spinning freely but unable to lift up? I can only swing the table out horizontally but I cannot lift it vertically.
Anyone know why and what I need to do to make it lift up? I'd like to make this mod.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Does anyone else have the problem of the table leg spinning freely but unable to lift up? I can only swing the table out horizontally but I cannot lift it vertically.
Anyone know why and what I need to do to make it lift up? I'd like to make this mod.

it's prolly stuck at the lower plastic bushing. The table rusts and seizes in the plastic bushing, that in turns, spins into the bracket.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:

it's prolly stuck at the lower plastic bushing. The table rusts and seizes in the plastic bushing, that in turns, spins into the bracket.

Thanks, Alika, I'll check that out today.
BTW, my son lives over there on Oahu, in Kaneohe. Beautiful place you live.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:

I can see that bottom plate sticking out and visible at the bottom that the table pole sits directly on is quite rusty. The leg must be seized onto it and preventing it from lifting up. I banged upward on the table leg without any sign of movement.

Last edited by deadaheadub on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

In reply to Wellington, who asked if anyone had cut the table shorter to clear the wardrobe doors:
Here's my solution
http://www.griffco.ca/VW/vwtablemod.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jefhaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
has anyone considered cutting the table shorter, just enough to clear the swing of the closet door?

prior to this vertical slider mod, i used the front table in the rear. repositioning the mounting plate allowed the door to be opened anytime.

HORIZONSRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

Thank you all! This is a great addition/modification. I just did it with PVC pipe 3/4 in, and covered it with a closet rod plastic cover that I had lying around to get it to just about the right diameter.
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Table vertical slider modification (How-to) Reply with quote

[quote="jimf909"]I was researching the adjustable table height mod and saw this about the magnets. I too tried small magnets but they didn't hold 100% of the time so I added a much bigger magnet, screwed into the c-pillar with a metal strip on the table. This has held 100% of the time for about a year.

Neodymium magnet...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L36SXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screwed to the c-pillar

Metal strap on the table

Thanks for suggestion. Installed- works great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: