Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

New exhaust system for my AAZ! Seeing 3 lbs more boost, lower EGT, more power, higher revs and less smoke at the top end! Big improvement over the 2" pipes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Above see the parts used (the shiny bits), except for the long 90Ί piece which was excess. My metal guy chopped them up to make the oddly shaped compound angled loop under the '83 carrier bar as shown below:
To the right the downpipe comes out of the turbo, I had him weld in an M18 SS bung for a future exhaust sensor. This section is connected to the turbo flange by V-Band clamp which makes rotating odd angles so much easier. The under-the-carrier section takes 3 pieces cut and welded together artistically. It goes into a 10" flex section:
You can see the engine carrier bar below behind the flex tube. It was important to me to vacate the space under the exhaust manifold as it gets pretty hot and the pipe through there interfered with the turbo drain tube. The 90Ί angle hangs off the frame box and is then V-Band clamped to a Moroso Spiral Flow muffler. Surprisingly effective for a small muffler. Apparently it works by shunting half the flow through a phase-shifting helix. The rest is pretty standard exhaust. This arrangement leaves a lot of space under the license plate/coolant reservoir area.

If you don’t have at least 2½“ exhaust pipes on your 1.9TD you are not operating at optimum. Determined empirically, because I ran the 2” pipes for 3 years.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

I'm curious to the exhaust note the spiral makes, do you like it? What were you using before?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Definitely sounds more like a clattering diesel but without excess exhaust noise. The old muffler was a Magnaflow glasspack straight-through type. The worst muffler for a diesel, but the exhaust shop that did it was ignorant. The spiral muffler sounds the same as the old one, but now my turbo whistles noticeably louder. Mostly it is smaller than the old one. Also the spiral is open-chambered, so it won’t restrict. The glasspack tends to collect soot from the diesel at my elevation, and gets restrictive. Also the additional bends on this system absorb noise.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Looks good.
Can you post some more photos of it when you get a chance? More of the bends around the carrier bars, the flex pipe, and exhaust mounts.
Very interested in this.
Thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

I'll confirm the straight-through glasspack condemnation. I really regret going with one on my TDI swap. I'm currently in the process of completely re-doing my intake and exhaust systems to further mitigate noise. I'm running 2.25" tubing.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

thread delivers.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

I need a cold shower.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

awesome stuff! i love vbands for custom exhaust work, and it makes service a lot easier as well

can you post some more pictures from further back when you get a chance?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'll confirm the straight-through glasspack condemnation. I really regret going with one on my TDI swap. I'm currently in the process of completely re-doing my intake and exhaust systems to further mitigate noise. I'm running 2.25" tubing.

Would love details on what you're doing and how it works! I cannot decide for sure if the noise I'm having is primarily intake or exhaust, but the drone is loud and annoying.

My setup is fairly similar to what the OP has done, I'm sure the pipes are 2.5 inches, mandrel bends, along with a smallish diesel cat and sprial flow muffler.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eleven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Excellent... This is on my list, along with a re-do of the intake to add an intercooler and proper filter box.

Nice work.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Beauty stuff.

I need to build a similar exhaust for a 1.8T once it is mounted in the van.

I've read a few people piecing together from generic type off the shelf, Lego it together, and then get it welded up all proper like.

Where did you get your bits from ?
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Muffler details please.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Turbo out:

Downpipe:

Under carrier bar (small corrugated tube is diesel heater exhaust):

Exhaust pipe going back:

Flex section:

Muffler hangar and V-clamp:

Hangar off frame:

Spiral muffler (Moroso 94054) and tailpipe. Note clearance to get a socket in the 12point crankshaft bolt:

Tailpipe hangar:

Tubes I got from http://www.allpurposepipes.com and all other parts from Amazon. A hint on the tubes, they are very hard metal and your metal shop will need a saw with fine teeth, or abrasive cutter.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Just an update on this, after running for a year I am very pleased with 2½“ pipes. NO OIL BLOWING for a year! I did not realize my engine was suffering from unusually high internal pressure from the small exhaust. During my summer trip over the Rockies I was able to floor the pedal all the way up and not get excess EGTs like before. This system was something like $700 but well worth it. If you are building an AAZ, especially with a modified injection, you really need 2½ pipes.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

That exhaust looks really good. Nice work!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Now I feel dumb for sticking with 2.25" exhaust.

I don't have too many oil leaks, except for persistent valve cover gasket seepage. I still don't quite understand the linkage between exhaust diameter and oil leaks.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

That’s what I had before this upgrade, 2Ό“ pipes. Back pressure, apparently my smaller pipes were not letting the turbo find a low enough pressure on the spill side. I don’t know what your Waldo pump entails but if it is modified for perfiormance then a deeper breathing engine is a good idea. What diameter pipes did the stock ALH come with?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

erste wrote:
That exhaust looks really good. Nice work!

x2 !
I think I mentioned it in the other thread but this was an inspiration for the exhaust we built for my swap and pjn_wyo's ahu syncro
We didn't do the vband break but otherwise more or less the same components.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
That’s what I had before this upgrade, 2Ό“ pipes. Back pressure, apparently my smaller pipes were not letting the turbo find a low enough pressure on the spill side. I don’t know what your Waldo pump entails but if it is modified for perfiormance then a deeper breathing engine is a good idea. What diameter pipes did the stock ALH come with?

Could you explain the low pressure thing for the sill side?
I`m not sure I follow and I`m interested in this.

I`ve had 3 new CHRA pissing oil into the exhaust, quality parts .

1st one I rebuilt, I thought I messed up so I bought a whole new CHRA: pissing oil again, found some oil contamination. Flushed everything and installed a turbo oil line filter and a new 3rd CHRA. Pissing oil again.

I found a 20 euros 30 years old turbo ( junkyard find by a friend), had it shipped from France to Hawai`i.
Cleaned it, installed it, no oil pissing. I`m maaaad!!
Oil drain into the oil pan, like JX, no oil trap in the hose routing....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel SS 2½” exhaust, higher boost, more power! Reply with quote

Ouch, that’s rotten. The spill side of the turbo MUST see as little back pressure as possible. If you are running a glasspack sort of muffler it makes a restriction. It's a common muffler shop mistake to put a glasspack on a diesel because the fiber collects soot which aggravates the back pressure. This sets off a cycle of poor combustion and even more soot… repeat.

I fought with oil leaks for 3 years, trying all sorts of solutions. Excessive exhaust pressure causes blowby and oil coming out various seals and openings. I was seeing prematurely black oil, high EGTs, black smoke and low boost pressure until I increased the exhaust flow.

The only downside to a bigger exhaust is the engine makes less heat, which I notice in the winter!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: