Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972: Our first Bay Window Bus - "Homey"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Cool Cant wait to see it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Cool Cant wait to see it

Cool one!@ However, if i will fabricate the original style tent, I would have to finish first the camper.Then that one will be the last on the list. Buddy, can you please post here the link where I can get the correct dimensions of the free standing collapsible frame of the original Westy tent?

Thanks in advance, my Type 3 and Type 2 buddy, Jason! Smile
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Great work. Thank you for sharing.
Not a Priest.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
Great work. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks buddy!. this would not have been possible without this Forum and without the help of every Sambanista.

Thanks,buddy!
'67 Splitty Bus
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

You have some awesome fabrication skills! I love what you're doing with your bus!

1966 Beetle
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Cool Cant wait to see it

Cool one!@ However, if i will fabricate the original style tent, I would have to finish first the camper.Then that one will be the last on the list. Buddy, can you please post here the link where I can get the correct dimensions of the free standing collapsible frame of the original Westy tent?

I dont know where there is one? If we need to Ill measure all the poles for you and dimensions of the freestanding tent. But I was talking about the tent for the roof of the bus Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
You have some awesome fabrication skills! I love what you're doing with your bus!

Thanks so much, buddy! It was because of our passion for the German metal that makes us innovate these things. At the end of the day, we are the ones that ultimately enjoys our vee dubs...

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Cool Cant wait to see it

I dont know where there is one? If we need to Ill measure all the poles for you and dimensions of the freestanding tent. But I was talking about the tent for the roof of the bus Wink Laughing

OIC... Yah, of course, I have been thinking of doing the tent by myself, though I have an upholsterer that does these things for me and gives better results. I guess, i will leave that one to him, being the expert on that!

BTW, thanks for the initiative of measuring the dimensions of the frame of the free standing tent;l however, in the event that I will fabricate it, you'll be the first to know and you will be getting the measurements for me buddy, if isn't too much to ask..... Laughing
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

About a couple of months, I install a gas burner on the camper. This was better an the portable gas burner that that can be used outdoor.

I bought this gas burner at the nearest home depot.

I got the pattern of the four rubber legs of the gas burner and placed the marking on the top of the kitchenette cabinet

Then I drilled the four markings for gar burner to be placed using longer bolts.

The bolt that held the rubber leg was quite short......

....... hence,i bought four longer bolts to be used in fixing the gas burner onto the top of the kitchenette cabinet.

With the longer bolt, fixing the gas burner was a walk in the park.

With the extra length of the bolt, fixing the gas burner was way simple.

These small gas tank, hose and regulator were essential to the set up. These were placed inside the cabinet right underneath the gas burner. It was a safe place.

Alas, the gas burner was ready to be used...

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Wow! Very cool DIY work you have done! Keep it up brotha!
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
Wow! Very cool DIY work you have done! Keep it up brotha!
thanks buddy. It was fun every time I would do diy modifications the bay.
'67 Splitty Bus
tonyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Dong , you are a brave guy , just diving in like that on all your restorations , I'd love to see some of your creations and restorations , maybe one day when we're visiting my wifes family in Pampanga and Makati , keep up the awesome work Cool
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

tonyx wrote:
Dong , you are a brave guy , just diving in like that on all your restorations , I'd love to see some of your creations and restorations , maybe one day when we're visiting my wifes family in Pampanga and Makati , keep up the awesome work Cool
thanks buddy. This is what is meant to be a vee dub buff. Sure lemme know when you are coming. Pm me buddy. Thanks
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

The other week, I accomplished two things on Homey: 1. I installed the z-bed, and; 2.I upholstered the Continental-style roof bed.

Of course, the original rear seat and the old heater hoses and tubes had to be removed. I also cleaned that area.

I got this one on the net and had it printed as m basis for the frame. Though, when I was building it, there were adjustments I made to fit in the z-bed the underneath cabinet correctly, based on my desired size of the z bed.

I placed the carton on the rear wheel cover to get the actual curvature thereof. I guess, no short cut work for this one! Smile

Then I placed the z-bed frame onto the already cut carton and then fit the same on the top of the rear wheel cover. The measurements had to be precise.

I did the same thing on the other side and measured a hundred times to get the exact dimensions as perfect as possible. As I would only saw the ply board once; otherwise, I would be wasting a lot of ply board.

I used this circular saw to cut through the ply board. But, to be honest, I don't recommend to use this one. It was quite fast as normal and the ply board could be easily damaged and the desired straight line would be compromised in the processed. Plus it was a bit unsafe! Sad

After cutting the ply board to the desired size and dimensions, it was time to join these three pieces of ply board using some angular metals and bolts and nuts to fix them properly.

It was time to bolt this to its proper places. Take note that the z bed frames should not interfere on both sides of the bus, while it is being operated, especially on the right side where the cabinet is placed. So the desired width of the z bed should be considered before sawing the ply board. Otherwise, there would be some ply board that would be damaged if the correct measurements were not met.

After installed the base of the z-bed, I tested the z-bed if it would work accordingly. It was cool. I then used a piece of card board to get the pattern of the holes for the provisions of the bolts and nuts of the seat and back seat. This one was tough too as the correct measurements had to be made too. Sawing the ply board for the back seat and seat was another matter. The correct width and length thereof had to be measured like in laser precision, if only to exaggerate it!

The back seat came first. I used bolts and nuts with bigger in diameter washers so that it would have a firm hold of the ply board.

Then the seat in last. And that's our pet named "Splitty" doing the testing!

The right corner of the seat had to be notched this way so that the kitchenette would not interfere once the z-bed is pulled away to accommodate a bed spacer.

This supports underneath the seat were so essential that without which it was impossible to get the z-bed working properly.

After I bought a foam, I cut the same and brought it to the upholstery shop. That color combination I chose was the closest one, I guess!

Once the cushions were installed, I looked perfect (for me!)!

This looked a bit odd. But, it would serve its purpose! That small rectangular cushion is removed from the right corner of the seat when the z-bed is converted into bed! Sorry for that one, guys! Idea

The z-bed is ready to be used!

I will post the pictures how I upholstered the continental-style bed in a while.

Thanks,

Dong.
'67 Splitty Bus
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

That is awesome! Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
That is awesome! Applause

Thanks so much, buddy! Doing it was the best part of it! It was fun!
'67 Splitty Bus
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Nice work! I love that cloth pattern!

1966 Beetle
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

Looks good Dong. Sleep tight, dont let the bedbugs bite Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Looks good Dong. Sleep tight, dont let the bedbugs bite Laughing

Thanks so much, buddy Jason. My family and I will see if the bedbugs won't bite hopefully this weekend when we go on camping in the far and high place of Infanta, Quezon, Philippines. Smile
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Our first Bay Window Bus! (Now with luggage cabinet!) Reply with quote

The other week, I upholstered the Continental-style roof bed.

I got this hinges that looked like the original one used by Westfalia.

These hardwares came in handy in the process, especially the T-nuts that would be embedded in the ply board.

After removing the bed from the roof, it was time to measure the cushion that I used and cut.

These t-nuts were so useful. When the ply board had been upholstered, it was an easy way to bolt things together.

This varnish was awesome!

This may not be the quality compared to a finished one using lamination, but it was better than leaving it bare without any varnish.

This gun-tucker was another tool worth investing on.

I enjoyed doing this one! Some handy!

For the hold on strap when pulling the pillow portion while the bed spacer is ready to get some wonderful sleep.

These hinges got some coats of paint they needed.

Alas, the bed is finished.

The pillow portion was finished.

With the hold on for the pillow installed.

After installing the cloth, it was time to replace everyhing in their respective places.

The installed Continental style roof bed.

Its position ready for some awesome sleep! Well, I know, the canvas is not yet there! Smile

Thanks

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: