Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing late model steering gearbox
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

I have a customer trying to install a late model gearbox on their 56 Oval. When he puts the later box on the beam there isn't enough room to connect the steering shaft to the worm. He says there's about a 3/8" gap. The first picture shows the box on the beam. The second two pictures show the height of the boxes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

Should be not difficult and without problem if everything is original and if you have the right parts.
When installing a later steering box, you must replace the steering column upper flange.
To compensate the different length you need upper flange part number 131 415 413.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/v2/7_66_page3.jpg
Further instructions, see tech bulletin V2.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletin_v.php

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

That tech bulletin is great. I appreciate the link.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darrells56ish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

I am the customer with the issue , unfortunately the posters reply will not solve the issue as the problem is the offset of 3/8 of an inch between the column and the steering box attachment point not the length of the entire assembly
looking at the picture you can see that the box which is already against the body would have to move further on the beam to the left or the column would have to be relocated to the right by 3/8 to marry the two , I could try and source a universal joint and fabricate something to the end of the column shaft to attach it to or cut the body to move the box over the amount required , I don't like either of these options and moving the column is definitely out.
anyone know someone that sells a aftermarket box that will actually fit a 1956 ?
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

darrells56ish wrote:
I am the customer with the issue , unfortunately the posters reply will not solve the issue as the problem is the offset of 3/8 of an inch between the column and the steering box attachment point not the length of the entire assembly

I see, I did mine some 40 years ago (Oval '53) with al the parts mentioned in de tech bulletin and steering box 113 415 061 (without suffix C) which was available from a VW dealer.
Here is a steering gear, sector type, reconditioned type 1 53-60.
https://heritagestocks.com/product/111415035-x-steering-gear-sector-type-reconditioned/

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I had a 1958 (Aug 57), that was identical to an oval window in the front end area and the beam. I installed a TRW late-model steering box in that car with no issues. I would strongly advise against cutting the body, making a steering coupler, etc. If you can't install it find a professional that has more expertise than you and have them do it. If it's not the right box, get the right box.
darrells56ish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

1961 and later box 3 and 1/8" from the outside of the case to the center of the worm

heres my original box and we have 2 and 3/4" of space to the center of the worm , in order to fit the new box in and have the steering column attach to it in its original location it's pretty obvious the box has to go inboard another 3/8 of an inch .
car is original 56 as far as steering column location and sheet metal in trunk area , If someone has accomplished this feat I'm thinking they likely just forced the column over and bolted it up as is , which would put a lot of stress on the column and the box, not something I would do , looks like finding a original style box is the only option here but thanks for the input guys.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing late model steering gearbox Reply with quote

There is likely an issue with the body itself or how the box is mounted. The measurement I get is closer to 3 3/8ths from the body to the center of the input shaft. I don't know what could have been done to your car, but I can assure you there are plenty of people using later boxes on earlier cars. The early boxes are very hard to find in good condition.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: