Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door gap and adjustment KG 1974 Coupe
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iradi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Door gap and adjustment KG 1974 Coupe Reply with quote

Hi, Enclose you will se a pictures of the right door of my car, it has a gap on the bottom but in the rest of the rest looks ok, so I do not know what to do.

The door looks with no hits and damage and I ask som guys, mechanicals, body shops in the area and no one give me a good and wise solution.

Your help and ideas are really well appreciate.

Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richardsxfile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My passenger door looks similar. I always assumed it was because the PO didn't fix the tired hinges and caused the bottom of the door to hit the sill and drag every time it was closed. I guess over time it bent the bottom out. As far as fixing it, I don't know how to push the bottom of the door back into shape without twisting other areas that don't want to be bent. I hope someone has a good answer to this question.

BTW - make sure that you have good strong hinges and that your door isn't contacting the sill. Do you have to lift the door to get it to close?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iradi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hinges are in good condition. I do not have problems with dragging, the door close and open nice and smooth, without touching not other parts.
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I can come up with at the moment is to loosen the bottom hinge bolts where the hinge bolts to the pillar. Loosen them just a little and ease the bottom of the door inward. Hold the door in that position and tighten the bolts and check for fit. You may get lucky and adjust it out the first time. Good luck.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pkane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Ghia wrote:
Best I can come up with at the moment is to loosen the bottom hinge bolts where the hinge bolts to the pillar. Loosen them just a little and ease the bottom of the door inward. Hold the door in that position and tighten the bolts and check for fit. You may get lucky and adjust it out the first time. Good luck.

Learn from my mistake, use painters tape along the potential contact points first to avoid chipping paint.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkane wrote:
74Ghia wrote:

Learn from my mistake, use painters tape along the potential contact points first to avoid chipping paint.

x2
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIne wasn't as pronounced as yours but what I did is open the door slightly,

put my shin against the area that I want moved in and pulled at the top and

pushed in at the bottom, effectively twisting it back to where it needs to be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: