Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild westerners unite! AKA-is this rare or just ugly?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: 211 092 523 - rally strips Reply with quote

I suddenly remember I was looking through the microfiches a couple of years back and noted a striping set for 1973 buses. I wondered for a long time on what kind of bus this triping has been used. It seems this thread has given the answer:

Below is a photo taken from the 1975 parts manual on microfiche. It shows partnr 211 092 523 for a set of rally strips in the colour 'Blue 52 R'. I can't find 'L 52 R' or '52 R' on my fiche with paint codes so I don't know if there is a more specific name for this type of blue.

The parts manual says this part is for models 221 and for buses with M603 (deluxe version)... This same fiche also states that the rally set was available only until 1973, but M603 was available from 1974 onwards. So somethings wrong....I think the thruth is that rally strips are not related to the M603.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/614366.jpg
'68 panelvan, '70 kombi, '71 panelvan, '76 crew cab (German army), '77 panelvan, '78 kombi, '78 microbus (Champagne Edition II), '78 highroof panelvan (German mail, parting out), '79 panelvan automatic, '79 panelvan (armoured money transporter), '68 Karmann Ghia type 34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Wild Westerner: the M-codes (S736 for '73 = Wild Westerner?) Reply with quote

Looking at the M-codes of the Wild Westerner buses I think we can conclude the following:

Arrow All buses have S736. Looking at model year 1973 we see it only on Wild Westerner buses! So I think this code means it is a Wild Westerner special sales campaign bus. But what's special about the Wild Westerner bus? The colours are defined in the colour code 9643. The striping is not paint so I'd say S736 means it has the blue rally striping. Ross his bus has dashboard clock in it. While the M-plate does not indicate a clock. Could this be built in afterwards? What about the other Wild Westerner buses that have been spotted, are there any traces they have or had a dashboard clock?

Arrow the Wild Westerner buses all had the following M-codes:
D32: Group code for regular US-specifications on a type 22 (microbus)
162: Rubber strips for bumpers
508: Ventilationwindow in slidingdoor and in all windows opposite slidingdoor in the passenger compartment (3 windows alltogether)(the window sticker on Ross his bus states only two extra ventilation windows were fitted, I think the sticker should have read '3 add. vent windows...' Wink

Now I wonder: Do Wild Westerner buses also exist with sliding roof or Eberspächer heater? (like the Champagne Edition buses were optionally fitted with).

Arrow The only variation I could find was M27: "plate for emissions value" which is a specific Californian option that was needed for al Californian vehicles.

Arrow All M-plates we came accross so far have en export destination on the West Coast:
UA: USA, Los Angeles CA
UP: USA, Portland WA

I am curious to the specifications of the Wild Westerner bus. So I have the following question to everyone having such a bus or having seen such a bus:

What's special about the Wild Westerner bus?

So far we found out that they all came with:
- special paint combination (Apple green with Ravenna Green roof)
- special blue striping
- rubber bumper strips
- 3 ventialtion windows in the passenger compartment
- dash board clock (not sure!)

Has anyone noticed any other standard optional extra for this model Question ...and please check the dash board clock....
'68 panelvan, '70 kombi, '71 panelvan, '76 crew cab (German army), '77 panelvan, '78 kombi, '78 microbus (Champagne Edition II), '78 highroof panelvan (German mail, parting out), '79 panelvan automatic, '79 panelvan (armoured money transporter), '68 Karmann Ghia type 34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus was a 7 passenger walkthrough with black vinyl interior. I don't have a clock but lots of folks add those in later. I think it might have even been a dealer option. My bus did come with the am radio, three rear vent wings, rear defroster, and that's about it.

Within the next 6 months I should have it re-painted back to all of it's wild western-y goodness. I intend on getting a stripe reprinted at the local vinyl lettering shop so I could use a definite answer on the blue color they used.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Group code D32 (1973) Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
My bus was a 7 passenger walkthrough with black vinyl interior. I don't have a clock but lots of folks add those in later. I think it might have even been a dealer option. My bus did come with the am radio, three rear vent wings, rear defroster, and that's about it.

Within the next 6 months I should have it re-painted back to all of it's wild western-y goodness. I intend on getting a stripe reprinted at the local vinyl lettering shop so I could use a definite answer on the blue color they used.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the interior:
Arrow all buses have a black leatherette interior.

I think the radio is put in by the dealer of someone else after production. I can't remember seeing a bus with a factory radio that wqas originally delivered new in the USA. When it comes to US-specs buses I have only seen this on tourist delivery vehicles. But those were delivered in Europe and shipped to the USA afterwards.

The rear window defroster/defogger/heater, whatever you want to call it is part of D32 (1973):

020: Speedometer and odometer in miles
085: Filled in factory with double amount of petrol (used for driving on and of the train for example)
089: Laminated windshield glass
102: Rear window heating
141: With heater outlet under middle bench seat
161: Seats in cabin with mountings for headrests
185: Seatbelts for all factory mounted seats in cabin and in passenger compartment
206: Inner rearviewmirror, anti dazzle
235: mountings for headrests for all seats in passenger compartment
253: Vehicle for North American market with tyres from specific companies
506: Brake servo and dual-circuit brake control lamp
511: Padded dashboard, with dashboard lid (not for RHD)
524: Electrical installation according to US-specifications: sealed beam headlamps, side marker reflectors front (orange), side marker lamps rear (red), back-up lamps, warning buzzer for ignition key. Further US-safety specifications: safety certificate, plate with vehicle specifications. Extra with VW microbus (type 22 only): chrome VW-logo, chrome strips around windows.[/b]

To chazz79: Good luck on the restoration! I looked on the paint colour fiches I that have: L52R is not listed Sad. So I guess it wasn't available as a paint, only as a colour of a sticker...sorry. Perhaps a part of the sticker was hidden from the sunlight in the door jam and you might be able to use that to match at a paint shop...

On my 1978 Champagne bus I found some non-faded striping inside the front wheel arch. It looked like a factory worker had cut the striping to fit corrrectly on the body of the car and then stuck the small remains in the wheel arch...
mrp2007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if anyone saw this yet, but one is for sale apparently

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Bus-Vana...355wt_1167
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one's about as rough as mine was when I started. I hope he gets the buy it now for it. If so mine's gotta be worth 20g's as it sits.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Wild Westerners unite! Reply with quote

That '73 for sale on EBAY which had a straight-up poptop and a rear seat with two belts is the only other Safare I've heard about rigged like mine.

I have chrome window trim, rear window defroster, no clock, one rear quarter window in left rear window, sliding door window is a jalousy as is left window behind driver, and rubber bumper strips.

'73 Safare poptop

A society is as lax as its language.
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerners unite! Reply with quote

Buscuss wrote:
That '73 for sale on EBAY which had a straight-up poptop and a rear seat with two belts is the only other Safare I've heard about rigged like mine.

I have chrome window trim, rear window defroster, no clock, one rear quarter window in left rear window, sliding door window is a jalousy as is left window behind driver, and rubber bumper strips.

About the clock:
I see the bus on Ebay has a metal plate fixed where the clock should have been (with a hole cut into it for some gauge).
Does your bus have this original metal plate instead of the clock?

About the windows in the rear
Does the M-plate on your bus have the M-code 508 on it? If so: then it was probably originally equiped with three ventilation windows in the rear. The jalousy windows were probably placed when the bus was converted to a campmobile.
Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Wild Westerners unite! Reply with quote

My M-code does have 508 and there was a plate in the clock position.

'73 Safare poptop

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's a safare poptop look like? All I've seen from safare are hi tops.

Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Wild Westerners unite! Reply with quote

chazz79

Open Gallery, go to page 3, scroll down to "fall pics." That is what my poptop looks like. Storage pan in front. Poptop goes straight up, the whole thing.

'73 Safare poptop

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerners unite! Reply with quote

Buscuss wrote:
chazz79

Open Gallery, go to page 3, scroll down to "fall pics." That is what my poptop looks like. Storage pan in front. Poptop goes straight up, the whole thing.

Ummm... what gallery?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you're talking about and it's a riviera. Most safares' I've seen have been the big turtle top jobs. Riviera's have the slider windows and that style top
The bus you're talking about

My bus has the same top (The donor had the riviera tag on the passenger dogleg)

ttagan93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 73' bus...all original paint, runs great, and sure turns heads.

mamabluebelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MUST have these colours - WOW I love the apple green, blue, yosemite yellow? combo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Wild Westerners.... Reply with quote

ttagan93 - The blue stripe on your bus appears to be painted. The Safare buses blue stripe was a plasticized adhesive strip. Ergo, yours may not be original paint. Looks good, though. What interior do you have? And, what is that on your gas flap?

'73 Safare poptop

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The origionals must've had the vinyl stripe but mine does not. If your bus is a 73 with this color scheme then it its a wild westerner. My bus has been repainted twice. The first repaint involved painting the stripe back on (my stripe is definitely paint, I've found some of the origional vinyl back in the hatch door jamb). My second repaint involved someone painting over the stripe and the whole works. I have seen a real safare with a high top that was a wild westerner. The top was even painted the appropriate colors. My bus looks pretty faded but in the door jambs it's as bright as that transporter above.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerners unite! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Buscuss wrote:
chazz79

Ummm... what gallery?

Ohhhh...That gallery... and here I was looking for your Samba gallery which you don't have.
That's a Riviera top, no doubt. Your bus may have started out as a Wild Westerner converted to a camper by Safare, but possibly due to a meeting with a low gas station overhang and a convenient Riv at a wrecker nearby it got a Riv top installed. Sure it's exactly the same top? I guess actual pics would help.

As for the stripes? vinyl would be the only logical choice for a production line situation, that's a whole lotta taping that a body shop with cheap labor and an insurance company writing the checks could manage, but I doubt VW would invest that amount of labor and paint time in a limited run vehicle.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Mcpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: For Sale in Northern California. Reply with quote

Saw this thread, and when I was poking around NW craigslists I saw this. http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/1461033096.html
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: For Sale in Northern California. Reply with quote

73Fastback wrote:
Saw this thread, and when I was poking around NW craigslists I saw this. http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/1461033096.html

Now that's a Safare.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: