Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Window Tip
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Power Window Tip Reply with quote

My Vanagon was my first car I have ever had with power windows, something the wife had pointed out but that I had proudly avoided up to that point. I was frustrated by the fact that with the ignition off I had to reinsert and turn the key in order to put the windows up, whereas previously a little bit 'o hand crankin and it was done. I was considering putting in a Jetta 6 pin switch with a separate line for the light in the switch so I could continuously power the switch. This was rendered unecessary by a friend pointing out a nice tip for putting the windows up with no key in the ignition.

Turn headlight switch on

Hold up stalk for headlight high beam

Windows are powered on with this.

Just thought I'd share as I had not previously seen this here or heard of it and it is a real convenience, especially when camping. Very Happy

Just a regular guy
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the heck did your friend know this? Is this a Vanagon specific easter-egg?? Think

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me want to have power windows so that I could try it. I wonder how many other little secrets are hidden like this one.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it...Now I cannot wait to get into my van when I leave work. That is the coolest thing I have learned in quite awhile and appreciate you posting. Very Happy
Someone asked me how I contained my kid(s) when camping and I shared the lower bunk trick. Fold bed flat, lift bottom up until it clicks and viola...built in crib! Plus a way to fly down the road with out things stowed and tied down(that is if you have no rear passengers!).

Good stuff..I love this site!
stumpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: windows Reply with quote

Nice tip,but being an older "DUDE"-- (Not by choice), I'am having trouble understanding-- Lights on high beam, Hold up stalk. What is STALK! Is this West Coast lingo??? Can you please enlighten me!!! Thanks, Stumpy
cek347
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me that asked about how you contain a kid and it worked great! Now this is something new that I must try today.
'17 Prius Prime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: windows Reply with quote

stumpy wrote:
Nice tip,but being an older "DUDE"-- (Not by choice), I'am having trouble understanding-- Lights on high beam, Hold up stalk. What is STALK! Is this West Coast lingo??? Can you please enlighten me!!! Thanks, Stumpy

I think he meant to pull back on bright light lever with light switch on.......and key off....
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cek347 wrote:
That was me that asked about how you contain a kid and it worked great! Now this is something new that I must try today.

Cool...I just practiced what I have preached last weekend and the kid insisted on having the dog sleep with him up there on the lower bunk. Usually a no no, but, since he just turned 2 in June, he seems to like surrounding himself with familiar things. My kid absolutely loves camping now!
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: windows Reply with quote

stumpy wrote:

Stump dude,

On either side of the steering column is a stalk. The one on the right is for the washer, pulling up on that one will spray water on the windshield. The left one is for the blinkers- left and right/ down and up- respectively. If you pull back on the left side stalk while you are driving at night, it will click on the high beams. The trick involves pulling up on the stalk on the left side of the steering coulmn as if you were turning on your high beam lights. Clear? Think

Just a regular guy
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: power window tip Reply with quote

I don't think that you even need to turn the headlight switch on- just pulling back on the high-beam lever should do it. I don't have power windows to try this with, but try it with just the high-beam lever and see if it works. It should backfeed the x-contact, or load-reduction relay to give power to the power windows, heater fan, rear window wiper, etc. All the stuff that is shunted when the ignition switch is in the start position.

Ed in CT
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just tried this. I turned the lights on and held the high beem switch up. The window works. So I turn the lights off and do it again. It works. I turn everything off and the window works. I think Gustav has been rewired.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have power window ( yet ) so I can not verify this. But I have traced the circuit diagram and here is my explanation. Please correct me if you think I am wrong.

1.The power window is powered from current track 30 which is connected directly to the battery through the power window relay. So it will not work if relay is not energized.

2.If you turn the ignition key on, the load reduction relay will be energized and supply 12V to track X. The power window relay is energized by voltage on track X, so the relay will supply 12V to the power window switches/motors through its contact, if 12V is on track X.

3.The ignition key also supply 12V to the light switch, the output of the light switch ( in head light on position ) goes to the high beam/low beam switch/stick.

4.The high beam flasher get its supply from track 30 which has 12V all the time. I.E., if you pull the high/low beam stick back toward you when the ignition is off, the high beam will still flash.

5.So the way this works is when you pull the stick back, 12V will goes from the stick, through the light switch ( hence the light switch must be on ), goes to the ignition switch, energize the load reduction relay so the power window relay is energized.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
Ok I just tried this. I turned the lights on and held the high beem switch up. The window works. So I turn the lights off and do it again. It works. I turn everything off and the window works. I think Gustav has been rewired.

whoa! That's wild...no key, huh? Did you try cotrol>alt>delete to see if it could be reset?
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Tip Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
My Vanagon was my first car I have ever had with power windows, something the wife had pointed out but that I had proudly avoided up to that point. I was frustrated by the fact that with the ignition off I had to reinsert and turn the key in order to put the windows up, whereas previously a little bit 'o hand crankin and it was done. I was considering putting in a Jetta 6 pin switch with a separate line for the light in the switch so I could continuously power the switch. This was rendered unecessary by a friend pointing out a nice tip for putting the windows up with no key in the ignition.

Turn headlight switch on

Hold up stalk for headlight high beam

Windows are powered on with this.

Just thought I'd share as I had not previously seen this here or heard of it and it is a real convenience, especially when camping. Very Happy

Dude, that's a sweet tip! Thanks.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we all find ourselves some free time this evening, this thread will start to grow....

I don't have power windows, but when I turned the lights on, and pulled back the stalk, my blower motors and windshield wipers worked. Neat.

It will not work when you pull the stalk to turn off your high beams, only when you turn them on.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With basic electric wiring skills, the solution used by many car manufactures can be incorperated into the Vanagon: power windows work when the drivers door is open. The drivers door open switch grounds two wires simultaneously. One for the dome lights, the other for the "key in ignition" reminder. The "key in" circuit can be used to trip the power windows power relay when the door is open, and avoids the "look at me!" of flashing your high beams, or what the Germans refer to as the "Light Horn", in an otherwise peaceful setting.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a toggle on the dash blank to remote power the relay.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipping on the highs does not however power the horn or the radio. Yup, too much time on my hands.
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok- too cool, I tried this and whaddya know it works! why isn't that tip in the owners manual? Hopefully it also prevents leaks too!
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Mother Ship knows about this. Could trigger a recall for installation of a load reduction reduction relay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: