Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Dilemma
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: VW Dilemma Reply with quote

OK babysnakes here. After a wealth of knowlegable advice. I finally got a look in person at my 69 Bus. Now I am asking for ya'll to give me your opinions. In Florida everything old is a rustbucket so it is impossible to find something. So this is what I found on this bus.1)lower doglegs have been replaced 2) doors stay 1/4" outside body when closed. 3)rust repaired well in corners of front window,lower front apron,rear left corner under driprail. 4) Battery tray 5) a patch under passenger seat . It will cost me $3000. I think this is a bit much. Its so stinkin hard to judge a bus by the pixel. Ive looked @ a bunch of advertised buses,t-3s and am constantly let down. Maybe I'm being picky or is this a reasonable price.
jah_B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds not so great. PIK CHERS Laughing

1972 tintop P30 CAMPMOBILE: M/T, 1.7L, dual kadrons, 019 diz. Sunny the S'kool Bus

You gotta know what you don't know. That's the key to wisdom. man.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever done rust repair before.
"cancer" Can be one of the hardest things to repair right, finding and getting all of it is the problem.
If you happen to find it all, you had better repair it right the first time,
Or it will start to rust again in short order.
It sounds like you would also have to fix someone elses bad repair, you won't know how bad a job they did till you tear into it.
I would walk on this one if I was you.
I will never buy another rust bucket, with the intent of fixing it, I have the option now since I live in Texas.
The secreat to buying an old car is the body, as long as it's straight, and rust free, everything else can be bolted on.
Socket wrench has alot less of a learning curve then a mig welder does.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some detailed pics are needed here, I've seen a couple of busses with the parts you describe welded on, but there was absolutely no structure remaining underneath, they only installed the outer skins Shocked , looked good from the outside but awful from underneath.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
c4l3b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are pictures in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320671&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Man, that's a tough decision. I'd shy away from something that's had that much replacement.
www.aircooledmissouri.com
www.pulparchive.com

springfield, missouri

My Vehicles
1977 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well.. I decided to walk on this one before I got your replies. Thanks though. You backed up my decision.All I had to do was re-read my post after it was posted. Anyway I flew to Costa Rica where the bus was located. I needed a vacation anyway(got a good deal on airfare)so I figured if the bus was a bust,( because I asked for 20 some odd photos and pixels only go so far) I would have a blast in CR and lose no sleep. Back to the hunt!!
Thank you everyone.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellers post back up. Mexican case W/single port.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're willing to fly to cosa rica to look @ a bus, you should check out the sunny, dry southwest (rubber is MUCH easier and cheaper to replace). the only cancer you'll find out here is under the battery.
payton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you in South Florida. There are some decent buses around with minimal rust. I agree to look for a west coast dry bus before going out of the country.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: