Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat tube wrap
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Heat tube wrap Reply with quote

What are you restoration guys doing about the burlap looking heater tube wraps? Is it possible to clean and re-use the original heat tube wraps if they are in good shape? Should I be concerned with handling the original wraps? Are they filled with Asbestos or other carcinogens?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am looking for original type material, not just a heat resistent wrap.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Neil

Moderator note:
Also see these 2 posts:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4033262#4033262
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4026534#4026534
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i re-wrapped the ones on my 59. they are fiberglass mesh (this is an often debated issue, Lind did some research).
if you go to the gallery and search the word: re-wrap
by submitter: hazetguy
you will see what i did on my bus. it is still in the same condition today.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i re-wrapped the ones on my 59. they are fiberglass mesh (this is an often debated issue, Lind did some research).
if you go to the gallery and search the word: re-wrap
by submitter: hazetguy
you will see what i did on my bus. it is still in the same condition today.

Jon, These pictures are great. How did you clean the wrap?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used warm water, a soft bristle brush, maybe a little soap? i don't recall. gentle scrubbing. rinsed with low pressure water from a hose, left in the sun to dry. i was not going for full "show" quality, i just wanted the dirt out of the mesh. i also think that the aluminum could have been replaced with new foil, but i was not that concerned at the time.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63363
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200877
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isnt exactly what you want...but it might be cool to wrap the heat tubes first in some new, much more effective material..then put on a wrap of original material so it would appear 100% correct. The condition of the original material would not be as crucial and the heat would work better (although Im guessing this bus will not be used in conditions where good heat would be a necessity)
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I know this isnt exactly what you want...but it might be cool to wrap the heat tubes first in some new, much more effective material..then put on a wrap of original material so it would appear 100% correct. The condition of the original material would not be as crucial and the heat would work better (although Im guessing this bus will not be used in conditions where good heat would be a necessity)

I've done this before. I use that bubble wrap insulation stuff and it does make a noticable difference. The P.O. for our blue '56 subhatch wrapped the heater tube several times with various coverings and it works great.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent a little time looking at the McMaster Carr book here at the office. They list several different styles of fiberglass heat wrap and at least one style has a foil liner. If the original wrap material I have is in poor condition, I may try ordering some of the new stuff. It seems to come in 40 or 48" wide rolls and is ordered by the foot. If I go that route, I will post some pictures of what I come up with. I couldn't find the band clamps in the big yellow book though, does anyone have the part numbers for them?

I don't mind driving the bus in cold weather but it will not see the salted streets of Chicago again. I do wish I was more concerned about salt 20 years ago when I first got the bus.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the foil lined wrap several times, most recently on the 58 ghia vert. It's the bomb Smile I'll never spend time trying to clean up og again. The og clamps can be bead blasted, then CAD plated.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go for an improvement and thena stock looking over it.

(let me be the 1st in this thread to say that your bus will be a best in show for sure Very Happy)
OCTOman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the clamps, I have them for $2.50 / each. You get one buckle and one strap for that price. They are new and are the same size (9mm) as the orginal. I needed them for my 55 deluxe.

For the wrap, I used the foil backed fiberglass material from McMaster Carr part #87715K49.

Cool
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCTOman wrote:
For the clamps, I have them for $2.50 / each. You get one buckle and one strap for that price. They are new and are the same size (9mm) as the orginal. I needed them for my 55 deluxe.

For the wrap, I used the foil backed fiberglass material from McMaster Carr part #87715K49.

Cool

PM sent. Thanks.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best photo of the long center tube but I thought I would post this photo her of the wrap style on my '63 15-Window Deluxe, it is more of a grey vinyl.

From another thread regarding the style on a '67 (same as my '63):
Major Woody wrote:
Your should be gray plasticky vinyl. There are two short pieces, one long piece, and one front piece.
From inside to outside, they have several inner layers of what appears to me to be plain fiberglass cloth like you would use if you were making a fiberglass boat, followed by a thin layer of fluffy fiberglass batting (not sure where you would get that, but you could substitute something else as long as it was inorganic), followed by the vinyl itself. The total thickness is not much.
Get some vinyl and fiberglass, bust out the sewing machine and make yourself the covers you need.
The covers use a weird sort of a clamp called a copiglia clamp. You can still get them.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
OCTOman wrote:

Cool

PM sent. Thanks.

Can anyone provide a good "how-to" verbal description (maybe with photos?) of the procedure of attaching those bands around the covered tube, how to thread the bands thru the clamps and then tightening are was done originally? I'll be doing this soon with one of Neil's kits, and like having instructions handy. Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the clamp how to and

Wrapping the heater tube is obviously going to cause moisture on the tube, is something like Por 15 the best protection for the tube itself?

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clamps might be the same as the seamless axle boot clamps:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408461&highlight=axle+boot
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack-Fatboy wrote:
Hello
I'm looking for any information about this material?
What was this grey vinyl?
I don't have it in hand so could you help me?
Is this material the same as in bay window buses or not?
Oh I must forgot what year the factory started wrapping the heating tube in this grey vinyl?
Thx

The above from another post:

Our DEC62 built 1963 model SC does not have the grey vinyl on the heat tube insulation. Vinyl should be same thru the late 1970s, but was heat sealed.
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Can anyone provide a good "how-to" verbal description (maybe with photos?) of the procedure of attaching those bands around the covered tube, how to thread the bands thru the clamps and then tightening are was done originally? I'll be doing this soon with one of Neil's kits, and like having instructions handy. Thanks!

Bill

Yes, here is the instructions I include with the heater wrap kits.

As for using POR15 on the tube, It wouldn't hurt. If you're POR15'ing the underside, might as well do the tube. They lasted quite some time without it though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Unwrapped Tube Reply with quote

If you aren't using the heater and have closed the heater flaps, would it be advantageous to unwrap the tube to avoid any rust issues with the tube?
If I understand the concept, the wrap is to help transfer heat to the cab, right? I don't need the heat.
Thanks!!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not think it will be a big problem with rust in your area. Having spent a few year in Abilene TX out East of you. Plus sooner or later you are going to need heat. Have driven thru an ice storm to Houston and thru -6F weather going to Corpus Christi to find the bay freezing over. Plus plenty of cool 40 F morning drives....
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOGR wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Yes, here is the instructions I include with the heater wrap kits.

As for using POR15 on the tube, It wouldn't hurt. If you're POR15'ing the underside, might as well do the tube. They lasted quite some time without it though!

Awesome. Now due to the illustration, I think I know how to thread the straps. Having never applied one of these types of straps before, is there any tips or tricks to using these? Looks like you might have to have some "slack" in the strap before threading the strap thru the cotter pin and then twisting it tight. How much slack? Can having too much slack or extra length be a problem? I think you ought to post up a simple, brief how-to video on Youtube for the novice installer, you know, show us and talk us through installing and tightening those clamps... Just a suggestion.

Thanks again for the above info and illustration!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: