Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cat piss rust on a flywheel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Cat piss rust on a flywheel Reply with quote

I had the flywheel off of my big bore engine and on the garage floor, for some time, and now that I want to re-install it and set the end play, it looks like a cat pissed on it (I had this problem, before, with a neighbor's cat pissing on my new bus panels and inside one of my buses, where it ate through the epoxy primer, and causing rust). The spots of rust, of course, are on the surface that the clutch disc goes against. I won't know if the metal is pitted until I remove the rust. Is there a good way to remove the rust without having the surface machined?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used sand paper to clean it up, up it really depends on how bad the rust is.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MTIguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the auto store and look for a jelly that strips rust. In essence it is like napalm, you paste it on with a thin layer and use steel wool to massage the piece and remove the rust. Then protect the surface with a protectant. I use this product on my table saw surface, it works perfect. DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR PAINT or ANY PAINTED SURFACE.

The bottle I purchased is the size of a medium to large aspirin bottle. White in color with a purple and black label.

When I get home I will try to get you the exact brand name. I think I bough it at Salvo Auto here in Maryland. If you can't find it at all and you are extremely interested I will try to locate a bottle for you and send it via mail.
blacktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one time in lieu of machining a flywheel that had fingerprint rust on the surface I started the engine on the floor and sanded the surface.
Used a 2" piece of scrap steel with 100 grit wrapped around it.
Dunno how bad yours might be pitted but my fingerprints were totally
eliminated.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacktruck wrote:
one time in lieu of machining a flywheel that had fingerprint rust on the surface I started the engine on the floor and sanded the surface.
Used a 2" piece of scrap steel with 100 grit wrapped around it.
Dunno how bad yours might be pitted but my fingerprints were totally
eliminated.

WOW Shocked I do not see that being a good idea at all, unsafe for sure.

Anyway miniman said is right, just sand it off, if its real bad go get it surfaced and move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bowtie56jw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scuff it with sand paper then put it together and then chase that damn cat down with it Exclamation meOOOOWWWWWW Twisted Evil

ode skoo is way coo

can one actualy have to much horse pressure????

1969 mrecury marquis 63k bought from orig owner( for sale )
1990 toyo 4runner 227k and still runs great. for sale.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, i hate loose cats. My neighbor has like 20-30 cats, and all run wild (psycho cat lady Rolling Eyes ). They are always in my baja bug. They keep shitting all over it. it really pisses me off Evil or Very Mad . I have already ran over like 2 or 3. for some reason they like to run across the road when you pass by. I didn't really hit them on purpose, but i wasn't about to flat spot my tires stopping for the little fuggers either. So oh well. My other neighbor's dog is always killing cats as well. So between me and my neighbors dog, they should all be gone by haloween Twisted Evil Laughing , lol.
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BugMan114 wrote:
My neighbor has like 20-30 cats, and all run wild (psycho cat lady Rolling Eyes ). They are always in my baja bug. They keep shitting all over it. it really pisses me off Evil or Very Mad .

In a few old magazines you can find articles on how to make a car zapper, you take an old Model T coil and hook it to a chain hanging down to the ground, then up to the battery and to the frame. Supposedly it zaps pesky cats and street urchins who come up and touch the car. There was even a commercial version at one point (Auto Shocko was what it was called). There's always Model T coils for sale on ebay Idea
Or it's always possible to buy an electric fence transformer and hook it up to your car, either way you'd have to remember to unplug it before touching the car but it'd take care of your cat problem. It is a steel bodied one and not a buggy right? Oh and your neighbor with the dog should be careful, if they kill a cat while running loose it's a $500.00 fine per cat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I'm with them sand it ,

and for the cat may I sugest
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the new bus panels and the interior of the 1958 bus that I had been restoring, I didn't catch the urine that the sucker had sprayed on the clutch side of the flywheel, and the spots of rust are beyond just a thin layer of surface rust. Since the cat piss ate through the epoxy primer in my VW bus, I wondered if it would make a good paint remover? Laughing
I'll try going over the spots with sandpaper. Is it alright if there are some minor pits that will go against the clutch disc?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitting won't have much effect on the operation of the clutch, unless it's so bad you end up losing a very significant amount of friction area. I had a few pits in the cylinders of my Corvair engine (stock cylinders are known for porosity when bored), but the guys at Larry's said don't worry about it. Turns out they were right, cause that engine runs quite well. If pitting isn't hurting my cylinders, I doubt your clutch will notice.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
Is it alright if there are some minor pits that will go against the clutch disc?

Some small pitting will not hurt anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the uric acid of a male cat with balls is much more concentrated than that of a male with no balls. so the flywheel pitting factor probably is related to this directly. a female, theyre not into this as much if at all. most likely your flywheel was virgin territory ,so kitty claimed it as his hood by pissing on it. a deterent is mothballs in anyplace to keep out cats and spray vinegar around too. for a liveing i pick up biopsies,cultures,blood,urine samples at the vets, and horse tracks for a veternary diagnostic lab on a daily basis. i think mothballs in the bellhouseing would be my choice.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off to wal-mart to get some mothballz Cool

Quote:
It is a steel bodied one and not a buggy right? Oh and your neighbor with the dog should be careful, if they kill a cat while running loose it's a $500.00 fine per cat.

Naa, his whole yard is fenced in. The cats get in, and the dogs hunt them down. I actually found one in my yard last night, and its rear was flattened. some1 else must have ran it over and it must have went flying into my yard (bout 5 feet from the street). Its really pissing me off. I have a large dog trap. I may just have to start setting it..........OR JUST PUT OUT ANTIFREEZE BOWLS IN MY BAJA Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . "yes officer, i just drianed my radiator this morning Shhh , the poor kitties must have gotten to it Twisted Evil " Take that psycho cat lady :fist:
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BugMan114 wrote:
off to wal-mart to get some mothballz Cool

Quote:
It is a steel bodied one and not a buggy right? Oh and your neighbor with the dog should be careful, if they kill a cat while running loose it's a $500.00 fine per cat.

Naa, his whole yard is fenced in. The cats get in, and the dogs hunt them down. I actually found one in my yard last night, and its rear was flattened. some1 else must have ran it over and it must have went flying into my yard (bout 5 feet from the street). Its really pissing me off. I have a large dog trap. I may just have to start setting it..........OR JUST PUT OUT ANTIFREEZE BOWLS IN MY BAJA Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . "yes officer, i just drianed my radiator this morning Shhh , the poor kitties must have gotten to it Twisted Evil " Take that psycho cat lady :fist:

If you have a chapter of the ASPCA in GA it might pay to call them, since they're causing problems and buying greusome deaths for themselves the organization might be inclined to seize the animals from crazy cat lady. Sure they'll likely get euthanized anyway, but it beats being gnawed to death by a dog or crushed by a car and any that get adopted have to be sterilized so they don't make new cat hordes. Of course, with the cats out of the way you have to start worrying about the street urchins...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Geb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a die grinder, I recommend you use a 2" Roloc w/ the Gray (superfine) or Blue (fine) ScotchBrite Pad. Works great and is super fast.

You order shit you eat shit
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the sucker that sprayed the flywheel had balls? That figures. People in Chico let their cats run loose, day and night, including in my neighborhood. I used to catch a cat crapping in a little area of dirt by the front door.
I removed the rust using emory cloth. It was easier than I thought it would be and there is no pitting. Darker colored grey stains were left, though. That cat piss is strong stuff. Shocked
Hophead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the animal problem in Chico comes from the college students that dump their aniamls at the end of the semester.

When I lived out on river road by Durham Dayton Hwy, (way out of town)every May/June we would get all kinds of cats and dogs showing up scared and hungry.

The dip shit students had a "fly and be free" attitude. Domesticated animals dumped in the orchards do not know how to survive in the wild....
P&P 043 40x35.5
9.6-1 comp
FK-8
48 IDA
MTIguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till PETA here's about this thread (LOL)
mick cassidy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now this crap just about fries my bacon BOTH SIDES i got cats coming inhere pissin on all of my cars rims anything shiny it hit up my 4x4 my mercedes and my baja alum rims i set up a cat trap cage and all i can catch is a possum i set it up with cat nip and cat food the bastard wont touch it i will dee port his ass 100 miles from my house ! that stuff is like acid it has etched the chrome and aluminum and ive used 2000 grit paper on the alum and still it wont come off !!! damm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: