Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Syncro front shocks will not fit the front of a 2wd properly. Not a good idea at all! Syncro front springs are shorter than 2wd springs and the shocks are longer.

My end goal is the 5660 spring, but I had to take off my front spring to compare to my other parts and looks like it’s going right back on after all the fuss. Gonna grab the proper parts and come back to it. And in the process discovered I’ll need a set of soft lines for the brakes anyways, so those are getting replaced too.

Thanks for the caution, I’ll heed it. If you hadn’t said so I would have tried it anyways just to see what happens Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

What all do you guys run front shock wise? I’m going for the moog 5660 springs, and want to match the bilstein rears I got with the syncro stuff. Here’s what I found, but I want to confirm it’s long enough first!

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-shock-absorber...yqEALw_wcB

Or these which match up with gowesty (out of stock) XHD set....:
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-008204-4600-Shock-Absorber/dp/B009FU4YUS

I’m sitting at 19 passenger and 20” driver rears right now, and I haven’t driven to settle them and the van is full of junk right now (due for an engine) so I don’t have solid numbers yet, but my goal is to be in the 18-20” front range too. Are stock length 2wd long enough?

End goal:
1980 automatic air cooled westy sitting 18-20” up, on 27” general grabber AT/2 on stock alloy rims. It’s getting a fresh top end in the next month, and I’m looking into higher angle CV joints etc. now sitting on the syncro rears, with bilstien shocks, want to match shocks up front with bilsteins, and moog 5660, and BJ spacers. Planning a Alaska trip to travel as much dirt highways as I can in mid to late August. To stay on topic here, just looking to find suspension info for now, going to be starting a thread later for upgrades and trip report stuff. Bumpers lights and spare tools etc all can go in another thread. Open to suggestions!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

Just posted this in the moog spring thread but wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions for lifting the front up the final 2” on the left and 1.5” on the right?

And will I need longer shocks at that point?

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With my 195/75/14 stock wheels.

LF: 17
RF: 17.5
LR: 19
RR: 19

Rears got Syncro rear springs and bilstein shocks. Left got a 1” spacer, right got a 1/2” spacer.

Fronts got gowesty BJ spacers and Oriellys brand of moog 5660 springs with sachs shocks. Getting kinks or bilstein soon. When I put those in, I’m adding the 3/8 ish spacer to the top and a space with a notch at the bottom to level the front.

Note that all spacers are rubber.

This is with stock 14” van wheels, with 225/85/14LT Super Swampers, prior to lifting the front up.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

I don't have suggestions for actual springs to get you that tall, but I can tell you that a 2wd drives terrible at anything over about 18" tall (maybe 18.25 at the tallest). The bump steer is horrendous which causes the van to feel darty and unpredictable. You have almost no droop (downward suspension travel) which makes the ride quality pretty awful too.

I have many customers who wanted to go as tall as you want with a 2wd and ended up dropping it back down to 17.5" to 18" and they are much, much happier with the way their van drives.

Just a suggestion!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

I don't have suggestions for actual springs to get you that tall, but I can tell you that a 2wd drives terrible at anything over about 18" tall (maybe 18.25 at the tallest). The bump steer is horrendous which causes the van to feel darty and unpredictable. You have almost no droop (downward suspension travel) which makes the ride quality pretty awful too.

I have many customers who wanted to go as tall as you want with a 2wd and ended up dropping it back down to 17.5" to 18" and they are much, much happier with the way their van drives.

Just a suggestion!

Stuart, If Chris gives a 'suggestion' you would do well to listen carefully. Cool He does this a sh!t ton and knows his stuff.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

I'll second what Christopher says above. I'm lifted and the front is twitchy and unsettling, and I took a hard low speed left turn yesterday and felt the rear lift and kinda hop over which was no bueno. I'm thinking about dropping it down about 1/2" in the front and 1" in the rear. The geometry just isn't right for my kind of driving style.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Just a suggestion!

Stuart, If Chris gives a 'suggestion' you would do well to listen carefully. Cool He does this a sh!t ton and knows his stuff.....

110% trust Chris and respect all his suggestions. This is one I actually didn’t even know about, so very glad for the heads up. Much appreciated. I am going to make and install a 1/2-3/4” spacer driver front to level it left to right, but going to leave the rest alone. End will then be 17” fronts and 19” rears. I don’t like the rake but it’s minimal and I prefer having the rear sit higher for engine clearance and for when the rear sinks in whatever I’m driving in (happens a lot) since it’s aircooled I don’t like setting the engine on the ground. The second thing is that my tools and gear should weigh the rear end down a bit to drop to maybe 18” or a tad less, right now it’s basically empty. Counting on weight to save my CV joints. Currently no clicking noticeable either...originals....

I love the stiff springs, holy smokes! No video or pics but rallied this thing at top speed (like 30mph) through the back field and got the front end to bounce up off the ground through a few dips, and not ONCE did the thing bottom out, loose steering, hit on a dip etc. did exactly what I wanted, stayed off of the dirt! On the road, in less then 15 miles I can already tell a difference and love being higher and stiffer, as the soft front before was excessively soft. Not compatible with my driving style.

In other news, after studying the syncro front shock vs the 2wd, NOW I see why it limits travel, not so much the lower perch, but the upper shoulder sits so much higher that it shoves everything out of whack etc. don’t fully understand it yet, going to do front spacer on the LF, to level it, and swap in Koni front shocks or bilstein, and I’ll hold it up then to learn it. I gotta understand this stuff for when my customers ask me questions about lifting etc Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Just a suggestion!

110% trust Chris and respect all his suggestions. This is one I actually didn’t even know about, so very glad for the heads up. Much appreciated. I am going to make and install a 1/2-3/4” spacer driver front to level it left to right, but ....

I think the max spacer size for the front (while still staying within the confines of the cap) is @ 3/8", but it gives a little more than 3/8
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Just a suggestion!

I love the stiff springs, holy smokes! No video or pics but rallied this thing at top speed (like 30mph) through the back field and got the front end to bounce up off the ground through a few dips, and not ONCE did the thing bottom out, loose steering, hit on a dip etc. did exactly what I wanted, stayed off of the dirt! On the road, in less then 15 miles I can already tell a difference and love being higher and stiffer, as the soft front before was excessively soft. Not compatible with my driving style.

Now you understand why I like these springs.
Some folks say it's too stiff, but for me, that spring rate is ideal.
gonna see life my way

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

Learning question here: what’s wrong with putting a spacer on the bottom of the spring in front if I cut the circle from center to outside edge to create a “drop” spot or “perch” to match the LCA and spring?

I have a material here I haven’t measure thickness but is what I’m gonna use, aiming for an upper space INSIDE the cup, so I’ll report back when done I’m sure. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

I don't know that there's anything wrong with that, never heard of it being done.
Maybe Christopher will see this and give his input.
gonna see life my way

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Learning question here: what’s wrong with putting a spacer on the bottom of the spring in front if I cut the circle from center to outside edge to create a “drop” spot or “perch” to match the LCA and spring?

I have a material here I haven’t measure thickness but is what I’m gonna use, aiming for an upper space INSIDE the cup, so I’ll report back when done I’m sure. Smile

Spacers in that location probably need to be captive. Just trying to have the spring lay on top of something is asking for trouble. I think you might get some movement and they would come out or break. I had the same idea and thought about using a second factory spring isolator on the bottom spring perch to get some additional height. It might stay in place since it wraps around the spring, but I decided it was a probably bad idea too.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you want to use syncro rear springs on the back, you are already +2", so I would get rid of the rear spacers and level out the front with GW +1.5" springs and thin spacers above the spring isolotor if needed. You can't put enough of those cutting board type spacers to bring it up that much.

If Chris comes back to comment, I would be interested to hear why you can or can't use the stock syncro front struts and springs on the 2wd? The top and bottom mounts look the same. That might be the easier thing if you already have all the syncro donor parts, which I think you said you did. And it would give you stiffer factory matched suspension.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I would be interested to hear why you can or can't use the stock syncro front struts and springs on the 2wd? The top and bottom mounts look the same. That might be the easier thing if you already have all the syncro donor parts, which I think you said you did. And it would give you stiffer factory matched suspension.

The front swing arm on the syncro is entirely different to accommodate the half-shafts and CVs, resulting in the strut and spring being MUCH shorter.

There are lots of pics in the gallery that show this much more clearly than words can do justice

If you install the entire syncro front end you could do it, I guess.. and just leave the drive line and halfshafts out? But that means cutting and welding.
If you go to that length may as well complete the conversion and make it a full syncro.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

The front swing arm on the syncro is entirely different to accommodate the half-shafts and CVs, resulting in the strut and spring being MUCH shorter.

It's not shorter, if anything it would be too tall. I'm not talking about just the springs, I'm asking about swapping in struts and springs. The springs themselves are not that much different in terms of ride height. The bigger difference is the spring rate. I have 2wd camper springs on my syncro now.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

It's not shorter, if anything it would be too tall. I'm not talking about just the springs, I'm asking about swapping in struts and springs. The springs themselves are not that much different in terms of ride height. The bigger difference is the spring rate. I have 2wd camper springs on my syncro now.

Syncro (courtesy Ms Taboo)

2WD

One way to find out for sure..
Go for it!
Report back...

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

So we got back from Sequoia. While there we visited the Buck Rock Fire Lookout. It was an interesting road to get out there. Almost immediately upon embarking on said road we came upon a vehicle coming down the road. It turned out to be a ranger. I asked him if my van (85 westy 2wd) would make it. He looked at it for a while and replied, "It'll be a little dicey in spots....but I think you could make it." Cool. We proceeded. My wife, who is from Italy, asked, "What does 'dicey' mean?" Mmmmmm. How to answer that? "Kind of fun, like exciting."

Well, we hit one dicey spot, a granite boulder that was covered with sand and therefore I didn't see. We slid sideways about two feet in a big "Whoa!" kind of moment.

Anyways, the whole way I kept thinking a little extra clearance would be nice.

Despite what I've read about the 1985 models being tall, mine is at 16.25" in the front and 15.75" in the back when not loaded.

Maybe as a result of the Buck Rock Road my van is pulling slightly to the right and since I have a lifetime alignment deal from Firestone I was thinking to bring it in for an alignement. But then I thought I should consider changing springs now.

My question (sorry for the long preamble) is- if I get the Moog 5658s and get to 17" or maybe add a 3/8" spacer and get to 17-1/2", how many spacers could I add to the rear to even it out? I've seen or read about people having 1-1/2". Is that doable/safe? I'd rather not have to replace the rear springs just yet.

Also, if I add that many spacers am I going to need a spring compressors.

I should mention, I never minded the soft ride, just want the clearance.

For your troubles-

Buck Rock Fire Lookout

Not for those who suffer vertigo.

Definitely worth the effort to get there

llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

No answers? Maybe too much story telling.

Questions-

How many rear spacers can be safely used?

How much lift before CV joints are affected? (I'm guessing mine have 25,000miles , when the PO did a tiico swap)
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

I read your post but I don't know much more about the 5658s. I lifted my van with GoWesty 1.5" springs. I have about 6 months on them. Because of the lift, I added Burley's upper control arms for accurate alignment in the front. In the rear I added one .5" spacer to the driver rear (westy lean). I ran regular CV's for a little bit. They seemed to do fine. But I swapped to 944 CV joints for higher angles. I love the clearance.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702936&highlight=5658
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
No answers? Maybe too much story telling.

Questions-

How many rear spacers can be safely used?

How much lift before CV joints are affected? (I'm guessing mine have 25,000miles , when the PO did a tiico swap)

I think there are lots of recommendations out there, you just have to decide which advice to take. A google search of the site with the Moog 5658 will find all the relevant threads.

My recommendation is Moog 5658 in the front and GW Zero Lift or BusDepot stock springs in the rear. Then thin rear spacers to level it out if needed 17" ride height is great. Max height is not optimal.

Some people have used more spacers in the rear. I don't like the idea of 1.5 inches of spacers back there but I'm not sure it would put enough lateral force on the down tube to matter. Putting in rear springs is so easy, the same effort as adding spacers, and the cost for a pair of rear springs is like $150, so I don't see any reason not to do it while you are doing the front.

And whether you use spacers or not in the front you don't need a spring compressor to install the Moog 5658s.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Lift Springs/ Lifting your van in general Reply with quote

For other readers, and the kiddies, can someone please confirm the idea that for every inch of spacer one gets approximately 1-2/3" of lift?

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: