Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which engine or conversion ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: which engine or conversion ? Reply with quote

There are lots of choices out there for better power for a Westie camper - from 10Cents better boxer to TDI's to Ztechs to Tiico's to Suby's to probably many others.
I'm not concerned with top end speed - a strong 55 - 65mph (90 - 110km/h) is fine for me - i.e about 2700 - 3300RPM wth a standard 4 speed. What I do want however, is enough good torque in that RPM range to enable me to tow a boat and motor (total towing weight - probably aroung 2500+ lbs.) without an undue amount of downshifting. So ..
who has what data on the torque their engine or conversion is actually producing. I'll compile the results and repost here.
Thanks,
JonnC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if anyone has truly accurate torque numbers for their engines. Whenever I have quoted the Tiico website specs for my conversion a few people have always asked for proof. Well I've never dyno'ed my van and I'd be really surprised if more than one or two people have.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bostig are the only ones I know of with Dyno numbers. The rest I think are just guesstimate's.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWewsty has Dyno'd theirs as well. They have the charts available on their website.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and I've posted the torque #'s for most of the suby's, 2.2- 2.5- 3.3- in the low range of the torque where it really matters, 1000-1500 rpm.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: