Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Section Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Body Section Question Reply with quote

My front cross panel on my '55 has some rust-out in each lower corner where the larger pan bolts go in. My question is: Are the WW or Mid-America panels available a good replacement? Both are manufactured in Denmark, I really only need to replace the outer skin and the bolting tabs. I've tried placing a want ad for a used section with no results. My car is in the body shop now and need this soon.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stamping is of the later style. most guys will buy one and cut the small bits you need off and splice what you need leaving as much oe metal as possible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the area that needs repair is only the bottom 2" in each corner. It really doesn't get close to any stampings. I could get away with grafting in standard sheetmetal and fabbing the bolt tabs for the pan. I had thought it might be easier to just replace the entire section.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bolt tabs for the 4 large front pan bolts are part of the heater channel, not the firewall.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true, but where it all goes together won't show unless you seperated the body from the pan. Body-wise, is will look fine.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
That is true, but where it all goes together won't show unless you seperated the body from the pan. Body-wise, is will look fine.

My point is if you buy the repop firewall, you won't have the section of the heater channels that you need.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: