Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front seat differences and identification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Could be Hump back but hard to tell with all that foam. Snap puctures of the back side to see the springs
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Your 8/61 Bus should NOT have a humpback seat but I agree - post photos of the backs and we can id them.

Something is weird though since it comes up short like that.

Humpback seat backs have springs like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also no L-brackets on the body and 3 seat positions, as seen here

L-brackets on body = Buses uses earlier non-hump seat.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggestdaddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Your 8/61 Bus should NOT have a humpback seat but I agree - post photos of the backs and we can id them.

Humpback seat backs have springs like this

Also no L-brackets on the body and 3 seat positions, as seen here

L-brackets on body = Buses uses earlier non-hump seat.

Everett, this bus is 8/1960 (not 8/1961) if that matters. Sadly, when they reupholstered the seat they put a cover on the back. I'll have to perform surgery to reveal the springs, so I'll do that when I reupholster. So you're saying that this weird short seat back is probably incorrect for my bus? (It wouldn't surprise me)

hitest wrote:
The whole procedure took 2 mins. 44 seconds (including one overdue crotch scratch).
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Certainly seems to be a later humpback seat back from the silhouette.

For VIN change, I checked "Progressive Refinements" and the hump seat started Oct 27 1960 at chassis # 673946, a few months into 61 model year production.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

biggestdaddyo wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Everett, this bus is 8/1960 (not 8/1961) if that matters. Sadly, when they reupholstered the seat they put a cover on the back. I'll have to perform surgery to reveal the springs, so I'll do that when I reupholster. So you're saying that this weird short seat back is probably incorrect for my bus? (It wouldn't surprise me)

Argg, I made a typo there, I did mean your 8/60 Bus should not have a hump seat.

If it is a hump seat back I am sure if that seat back is shorter like that.
I don't have one to compare.
I also have an 8/60 Bus and the original seat back looks normal and goes lower but still sort of sits at the top edge of the L-brackets, where there are rubber seat buffers:

Rubbers

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

I have a October of '58 built '59 model year panel with a black seat. Is it more likely that the grey seat was swapped with a black one over the past 58 years or is it possible that any left over '58 seats made it into '59 model year buses? Just curious if anyone has heard of or seen any other early production '59 model year buses with black bench seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

rbm2 wrote:
I have a October of '58 built '59 model year panel with a black seat. Is it more likely that the grey seat was swapped with a black one over the past 58 years or is it possible that any left over '58 seats made it into '59 model year buses? Just curious if anyone has heard of or seen any other early production '59 model year buses with black bench seats.

It appears you never got an answer on this. A year plus later, I will answer with a "maybe". Changes were very much in flux and 58-59 model year changes certainly did not all happen Sept 1, 1958. That's about when they made the last pressed bumpers, but the exterior and interior new colors for the deluxes came in about 2 weeks earlier.
Another thing is probably it was possible to ORDER it that way. A bit before M- code plates, so maybe a birth certificate might possibly say.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Just picked up a set of front seats. Material turns black when cleaned and back appears to be flat.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
Material turns black when cleaned and back appears to be flat.
I concur... nice find.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
Just picked up a set of front seats. Material turns black when cleaned and back appears to be flat.

congratulations Brett
gunbab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Hello,

Could any one help me to indentify my front bench seat.

I would like the sell this, but i wanna give the correct information to the buyer.
And what is a correct price to sell?

Kind regards.
Gunther

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

gunbab wrote:
Hello,

I would like the sell this, but i wanna give the correct information to the buyer.

Kind regards.
Gunther

You have a humpback seat. It was used for 1961 and 1962 model years. I would imagine it is probably worth $750 +/- to the right buyer.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
gunbab wrote:
Hello,

Kind regards.
Gunther

You have a humpback seat. It was used for 1961 and 1962 model years. I would imagine it is probably worth $750 +/- to the right buyer.

Building on what Ron says, here is part of an ad for the same era of front seats I've sold: "Here is a humpback front bench seat set, backrest and bottom, for an early '61-'62 bus front seat, approx. Chassis # 673 616 (27 Oct '60) through 971 549 (30 Jul '62), those with the three-point adjustable mounts."

They are certainly humpbacks, with the humped backrest and the two supports tubes on the bench. Good luck.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Rubbers

Hi Everett. Any chance you know the part number of those buffers? I'm struggling to identify them in the interactive '58 parts manual or on OACDP.

They're missing from my '56 truck. I hadn't realised there were supposed to be buffers there but I can see the witness marks now. They don't look like the buffers that go under the seat base.

Also, are there supposed to be any buffers for top of the seat back? The pivot bar rattles around in the top bracket on the passenger side unless there's someone sat on that side.

I've used hosepipe around the pivot bar to stop the metal-on-metal contact, but it's ugly. Seems like VW thought of the other contact points, so I'm wondering if there should be a buffer somewhere up there too?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Rubbers

Hi Everett. Any chance you know the part number of those buffers? I'm struggling to identify them in the interactive '58 parts manual or on OACDP.

They're missing from my '56 truck. I hadn't realised there were supposed to be buffers there but I can see the witness marks now. They don't look like the buffers that go under the seat base.

Also, are there supposed to be any buffers for top of the seat back? The pivot bar rattles around in the top bracket on the passenger side unless there's someone sat on that side.

I've used hosepipe around the pivot bar to stop the metal-on-metal contact, but it's ugly. Seems like VW thought of the other contact points, so I'm wondering if there should be a buffer somewhere up there too?

Here's what Wolfsburg West sells: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881895

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Rubbers

Here's what Wolfsburg West sells: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881895

This is what I used. As far as I know they are the same part.
My '58 parts book says a Bus takes 6 of them.
This sounds right as my Double Cab has 4 under the seat bottom and 2 for the backrest, one on each side

There is nothing up top.

My back rest rattles sometimes too, I put some black grip tape around the ends. I think some large shrink tubing might be better though.

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Thanks both. I'll get some more of those seat base buffers.

I think I might have some shrink tubing that size too. I'll give it a go if I can find it.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
volkswagenman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a december '60 doubledoor panelvan VIN# 699xxx and I try to restore it with most of its original or correct NOS parts. I was wondering if my front seat is correct for my bus. On the base frame I can see there were 2 brackets that (I think) are holders for the backseat. And if that is correct can someone tell me the length of the brackets? or have a picture of them?

Thank you!

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Those look like the correct top and bottom seat, but as you mentioned someone cut the lower brackets offs.

Here is what Everet said about those to someone else who had them cut off.

EverettB wrote:
Some post measurements:

Diameter: 20mm

Position of arms on the seat base: 215mm - measured from the slotted end of the frame where it sits in the body mount to the center of the pipe. Both sides are the same.

Length: 135mm - measured along the bottom edge of the pipe from the weld at the base to the tip. Total length

Distance from frame: 50mm - measured from corner edge of original upholstery seat to closest edge of tubing. The tube ends higher than the seat "corner" so this is straight across from the top of the pipe to where the frame is, it's longer if you were to measure diagonally from the pipe edge to the frame.

I believe the seat in the first post of this thread is my seat so if you want more photos of it, let me know.

volkswagenman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front seat differences (57) Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. That's gonna be plumbing for me Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: