Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show off your BAJA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I have posted, so here are some updated photos of the OHIBAJA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

8+ years into this ever evolving build and I still get a huge smile every time I take her for a spin!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

That is one good looking Baja. Love the build. Impressive.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
That is one good looking Baja. Love the build. Impressive.

Thank you! It has been and continues to be an Epic journey...

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Thought you might get a kick out of this one. Built this 44 years ago just around the time l got married. We were on a Fishing/Camping/Honeymoon. 1678 cc with 2 barrel Weber.

The one I'm working on now. 67 Baja waiting for it's new 1678 cc engine with 2 barrel Weber. Just got new 215/75/15 front 235/75/15 rear Yokohama Geolander. Waiting for installation. Reliving my younger years. 😃
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Canadian Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

this the the project my daughter and I have taken on. Hoping to get it good enough to enjoy on the road and maybe the odd trail. Not really sure what we are doing but we are figuring things out. So far we have managed to strip it down to the bare minimum. How we do?

Bakerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Before and after new wheels like the attitude it exudes now much better.
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

The Green Hornet. My new to me 70 Baja. It needs a little work but not too bad. The one piece windows are a disaster. I need to fix that ASAP.

I got the car out of Tucson AZ. If anyone knows the story on it I'd love to know.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Red68 wrote:
The Green Hornet. My new to me 70 Baja. It needs a little work but not too bad. The one piece windows are a disaster. I need to fix that ASAP.

I got the car out of Tucson AZ. If anyone knows the story on it I'd love to know.

Shoot howdy! Looks like a clean Baja. Where in the High Desert are you?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeAdams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Hey Mike! How's it going? Haven't talked to you for quite a while. Did you go out to the MORE race over the weekend? The ARTS/AGS/ORAF/Lone Kid Racing/etc. group had an odd weekend. Guy co-drove with Rulo in Rulo's 5/16 that is normally so dominant in the class. But an intake valve retainer died and left the car running on 3. Removal of the broken parts and spring, and replacement with a piece of rubber hose kept the engine running to the end after a lot of lost time on the pit. But another Bug he prepped (#599) with a couple (Sid Hardy and Amber) racing in only their 3rd race took 1st. My son Warren got talked into helping out a guy from Texas with a Crumco 5-Open with a VW T1 and an 091 gearbox. Turned out he and the car were very poorly prepped. Someone in Texas had re-done the rear lower shock mounts from how they were originally, and got 14" of rear travel Shocked , so Rick Crumb cut off those mounts and re-did them as he normally does and got 22", but then the springs were wrong anyway (only had 250/300s on it) and the ride height was good for cruising the boulevard, but not the race course. The car owner didn't get the notice that the 2-heat race was combined into 1 with a 10AM start instead of the original 2PM it was supposed to be for 5-open. So he arrived after the class had all started and they didn't get started until most everyone else had finished their 1st lap. Had to fasten the air intake duct from air filter to carb air box, get tool bags in, top up the gas, etc. Came back after about 3 miles and we re-set the ride height cranking 2" into the rear springs and 1.5 into the fronts. Went back out and at RM 8 stopped with no oil pressure. So I ran out with Warren's chase truck and all the oil we could find at a moment's notice and put in a quart, and it was full Question Started it up and good pressure Question Maybe an air bubble in the cooler or filter??? They came around after a 3:47 1st lap and came back from S/F. The steering rack had only 1 loose stud holding it in the car, the other stud had fallen out and the top through bolts had never been installed. Rolling Eyes Couldn't find bolts to fit, so they called it. Then wound up telling his story on the podium with a 5th place! Crazy race!

Richard! Sorry I missed this haven’t been over here in a minute

BTW that 1600 car in the background just podiumed with Rulo the new owner
Trip Report #1:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222632&highlight=fonts

Trip Report #2: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248234
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

MikeAdams wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Hey Mike! How's it going? Haven't talked to you for quite a while. Did you go out to the MORE race over the weekend? The ARTS/AGS/ORAF/Lone Kid Racing/etc. group had an odd weekend. Guy co-drove with Rulo in Rulo's 5/16 that is normally so dominant in the class. But an intake valve retainer died and left the car running on 3. Removal of the broken parts and spring, and replacement with a piece of rubber hose kept the engine running to the end after a lot of lost time on the pit. But another Bug he prepped (#599) with a couple (Sid Hardy and Amber) racing in only their 3rd race took 1st. My son Warren got talked into helping out a guy from Texas with a Crumco 5-Open with a VW T1 and an 091 gearbox. Turned out he and the car were very poorly prepped. Someone in Texas had re-done the rear lower shock mounts from how they were originally, and got 14" of rear travel Shocked , so Rick Crumb cut off those mounts and re-did them as he normally does and got 22", but then the springs were wrong anyway (only had 250/300s on it) and the ride height was good for cruising the boulevard, but not the race course. The car owner didn't get the notice that the 2-heat race was combined into 1 with a 10AM start instead of the original 2PM it was supposed to be for 5-open. So he arrived after the class had all started and they didn't get started until most everyone else had finished their 1st lap. Had to fasten the air intake duct from air filter to carb air box, get tool bags in, top up the gas, etc. Came back after about 3 miles and we re-set the ride height cranking 2" into the rear springs and 1.5 into the fronts. Went back out and at RM 8 stopped with no oil pressure. So I ran out with Warren's chase truck and all the oil we could find at a moment's notice and put in a quart, and it was full Question Started it up and good pressure Question Maybe an air bubble in the cooler or filter??? They came around after a 3:47 1st lap and came back from S/F. The steering rack had only 1 loose stud holding it in the car, the other stud had fallen out and the top through bolts had never been installed. Rolling Eyes Couldn't find bolts to fit, so they called it. Then wound up telling his story on the podium with a 5th place! Crazy race!

Richard! Sorry I missed this haven’t been over here in a minute

BTW that 1600 car in the background just podiumed with Rulo the new owner

Damn...Purt near 2 years there.

That 1600 single seat frame has been raced this in 2022. 1 month after it left my back yard where it had sat for over a year. When it left my place, it needed a LOT of work, like the entire rear of the frame including the torsion housing. Yeah, it COULD have been put together and raced, but Rulo didn't like the jacked up torsion housing ends, or the several tubes in the back that had multiple splices each. So in between customers cars, he rebuilt the whole back 1/2 and assembled it into a complete race ready car.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
MikeAdams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

That 1600 single seat frame has been raced this in 2022. 1 month after it left my back yard where it had sat for over a year. When it left my place, it needed a LOT of work, like the entire rear of the frame including the torsion housing. Yeah, it COULD have been put together and raced, but Rulo didn't like the jacked up torsion housing ends, or the several tubes in the back that had multiple splices each. So in between customers cars, he rebuilt the whole back 1/2 and assembled it into a complete race ready car.

Yeah that car is was whipped, that’s why I never finished it. Crazy it sat at your place too! Off road racing is a small small world

Glad to see that car is getting another go at it..
Trip Report #1:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222632&highlight=fonts

Trip Report #2: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248234
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

MikeAdams wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

Yeah that car is was whipped, that’s why I never finished it. Crazy it sat at your place too! Off road racing is a small small world

Glad to see that car is getting another go at it..

Well just think, Mike. Your wife raced in the AGS 5-16 for a powder puff race or 2. Same team, same guy building and prepping who now owns that frame.
SoCalBajas Member
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Phydous wrote:

This is my Dottie. I've had a mental image of what I want in a baja bug for ~30 years and I'm slowly making it happen. Pretty close to driving her if I could just get the lights/wiring figured out. <grumble>

Making progress. Currently redoing a lot of wiring during the winter.

1646gofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

This picture is old... I have since cut it into a class 5 1600 style because we started racing it in class 1600 Y.O.R.R. races. This picture was from when I "finished" the car.
radioguyryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Good Morning all! Been into air cooled VW's for about 10 years now. Finally decided to make an account here. This is my 1969 Baja. I picked it up in Apple Valley CA in 2016. Drove it around 29 Palms while I was living there, and now its still with me here in NH. The engine is pretty well cooked, so I'm currently working on doing my first ever engine conversion. Going with an EJ22 out of a late 90's subaru. Haven't bought the adapter plate yet, but I will be roughing in the wiring harness soon.

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Saw this cool Honda swapped Manx in town.
Wado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

Here is my 1964 Baja. I've ran it like this for about 2 years.

I have an Ecotec 2.5l LCV that will be going in it pretty soon.

It currently has an 1835.

This was the day I bought it.
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your BAJA! Reply with quote

This is too fun.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 72 of 73

Jump to: