Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's it worth?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: What's it worth? Reply with quote

My 2000 Jetta tdi's transmission just shit the bed. $3000 to fix it ain't gonna happen. I was driving home from work on the highway, doing about 65mph, when something inside came loose and got fired out through the bell housing.

The engine has around 178000 miles on it. I'm thinking the only thing of real value is the engine because it seems to be the engine of choice for Westy owners that want to do the tdi conversion. How much is it worth? I may post it on Craigslist soon.

Thanks,

Doug
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess... Auto tranny?
Depending on condition of the car I would think it would be worh around 7.5 with a new tranny. I doubt somebodys gonna pay you 4.5 for a donor car.
DougR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual tranny. Just wondering. Must make decision to fix or scrap it today.

Thanks,

Doug
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be fixed with a good used trans for about $1500 - $1800 if it only needs a transmission. If that car is in really good shape, you could probably get about $4500-$5000 for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's 99 Golf TDI (MK4) had the same thing happen to it this spring. Our mechanic found a good used TDI tranny for CAD $1000 and gave us a bill for $1800 CAD after the install and taxes...

I figured that the money we spent was pretty close to what it saved us in fuel over running a gas vehicle the year before...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: