Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bedliner Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Looking good dude

Thanks! I've been picking up lots of ideas from your build thread of stuff to do to this thing after I get it back on the road...

Now that I've got the engine in and the car is pretty much at its final weight minus fuel, I can start dialing the suspension and alignment.

Dropped the car a few notches in the rear so now the spring plates are off the lower stops about a quarter inch. Before, they were so preloaded that they didn't even come off the stops with me bouncing in the car.

I have a bunch of friends who are into building racecars, so I borrowed an alignment kit and corner balancing scales from them.

Just for fun, we put it on the corner balance scales.... 1630 lb not including driver or fuel, about 32/68 Front/Rear weight distribution and cross balance was within a percent or two with me in the car. Not planning on trying to dial any of this in, but kinda fun just to see.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plan for the weekend is to finish brake bleed, door panel assembly and install lighting, then spend evenings next week cleaning up odds and ends and (fingers crossed!) take it for a spin next weekend.
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

8urrito wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I've done enough digging to generally understand the 'how' of changing rear height, but not 'why'. Is the goal to prevent the suspension arms from bottoming out on the frame when they go full droop? I see some folks notch their spring plates...

The main goal is to alter ride height, say increased height for offroad ground clearance/ racing.
or decreased height for street car appearance or certain types of racing.

Notching the plates just allows for some down travel when your desired ride height adjustment causes the spring plate to rest on the stop... as yours previously was before you lowered it some.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Lots of progress putting everything back together but not a whole lot of things to take great pictures of yet. I've been keeping my eye out for a good roof rack, and happened to see someone driving down the road with one of the newer Thule roof baskets, which I thought looked like it would be a good fit for the car, so started keeping my eye out on craigslist and scored this thing for $150!

Otherwise, I have been embracing the scope creep that started with simply wanting to flush the brake system, which led to a week of struggling to figure out why I couldn't get all of the air out of the system. After going through 3 quarts of brake fluid trying every possible sequence and bleeding technique, I finally pulled the master cylinder to take it apart and inspect, and found a pretty interesting failure.

It looks like at some point, the face of the piston had been hit with a grinder:

Upon inspection of the cylinder, I noticed really poor surface finish in that same area:

My theory is that at some point, the piston was damaged and rolled a burr on the edge, which was then able to contact the side of the cylinder. After 10+ years of just sitting there without any movement or fresh oil film, this led to galvanic corrosion which ate away at the bore in a way that allows a small amount of air to get sucked past the seals.

I had always figured that I would eventually upgrade to disc, so I figured as long as I was going to be buying a new master cylinder, I may as well get the larger one needed for discs, and found a good deal on the AC industries kit:

Then when doing the swap, I discovered the ball joint boots were disintegrating, so figured I may as well replace those. And as long as I'm taking everything apart, I should do new wheel bearings as well...

After starting to press in new wheel bearings and ball joints last night, I'm hoping it's mostly putting things back together now rather than taking apart. (I do have my oil pump out and parts for an external full flow filter on order, more pics to come once I get started on that...)

While waiting for brake/suspension parts, I've also been plugging away on the electrical. You might have noticed in the background of my photos that I have 4x8 CNC router in my shop, so I'm using that to mock things up. In addition to getting rid of the original fuse panel and replacing with Blue Sea blade fuse blocks, I decided to replace the center section of the dash with toggle switches on a custom panel:

First step is to prototype with some cheap 1/8" hardboard to get the shape and positions right, then I've got some black garolite to cut the final panel out of. Long term I'll probably get something custom made from Front Panel Express, but this will be good enough to figure out what I want.[/code]
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

I also decided to take this opportunity to install a full flow pump and external filter. I picked up the CB 26mm pump and some stainless lines with AN fittings. For some reason I'm having trouble generating oil pressure, can anyone help me figure out what's going on with my pump Wink
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Wow! That passed inspection?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Those are the same rear (and front) calipers I bought. The rear brackets didn't align for some reason and I ended up buying a set of them that are about 1/2" thick and machined material away until I had perfect alignment. If you look through my brake posts I put a link to them. If you end up like I did anyway with them not aligning.
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Wow! That passed inspection?

Apparently Razz

Shout out to David over at CB, who dropped a replacement in the mail as soon as he saw my email.

I had purchased the EMPI right facing oil filter mount, plus the right-facing header bracket, but that put the filter waaay to close to the pump, and just the fittings between pump and filter were almost touching. I didn't want to run elbows, so just flipped the bracket an stuck the filter off at an angle.

anplumbing.com has offcuts of the stainless hose for only a couple bucks each, which saved me a ton over buying a whole 6' length, which is all that CB had
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
Those are the same rear (and front) calipers I bought. The rear brackets didn't align for some reason and I ended up buying a set of them that are about 1/2" thick and machined material away until I had perfect alignment. If you look through my brake posts I put a link to them. If you end up like I did anyway with them not aligning.

Interesting, I didn't have any fit issues with the calipers. Maybe this was a different kit, but looks similar? Mine is an AC industries kit from Socal Imports, which fit great for the most part except for the parking brake cables which were a couple inches too long. Apparently this is a known issue with some of these, so they swapped me for a different set.
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Today was the day! As I mentioned in a previous post, my shop isn't a typical garage, and getting the car in and out requires removing fenders, wheels bumpers and the doors of my shop, so it's a bit of an ordeal. As such, I wanted to get as much done as possible before moving it out. After tidying up all the electrical and reinstalling the fuel tank this past this week, I roped a few friends into helping me push it out.

Took a little cranking to get the fuel primed, but it started right up and ran for a few minutes before one of my friends on fire watch noticed fuel dripping from a leaky gasket on the port side carburetor right onto the header. Fortunately we caught it in time to shut off the engine and torque things down a bit. Glad I had some spotters, otherwise there's a good chance I wouldn't have noticed until I had a fire on my hands.

After that, took it for a spin around the block, got it into second gear and maybe up to 40 mph. So far so good, didn't want to push my luck too much so called it a night after that.

More pics to come of the finished (for now...) build tomorrow when I have some daylight.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Congratulations! What a great feeling that first run around the block. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Congratulations! What a great feeling that first run around the block. Very Happy

Thanks! Well it made it halfway around the block before the electrical system completely shut down... Fortunately I was on the uphill side, so I was able to coast back into the parking lot. Despite being brand new, albeit 20 years old, there was a broken solder joint inside the alternator. I was able to get a blob of solder on there, but my iron didn't put out enough heat to really melt the puddle. It was just good enough to leave me stranded somewhere a long way from home a month or so from now.

I ended up having a local alternator rebuild shop fix it proper and give the rest of it a good inspection before dropping it back in the car less than 24 hours later. (shoutout to The Rebuilder just south of Seattle).

After driving it a bit more, I found out the hard way that the D+ terminal isn't just for the warning light and is actually critical to the functioning of the charging system, and thus can't be left disconnected. After driving around all afternoon, the battery finally died again less than a mile from a friend's house. I was able to limp over his house to charge my battery for an hour or two, which was just enough for me to limp home and troubleshoot, where I quickly discovered the D+ terminal issue...

Had a great day driving it around town with no issues, git a little dusting of snow after I parked for the evening.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Nice, they are always more fun to tinker on when they drive between repairs/improvements
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Nice, they are always more fun to tinker on when they drive between repairs/improvements

Thanks! Now that I've got it rolling under its own power, time to start ticking off some of the stuff I've been meaning to copy from your build thread Wink

Turning brakes sound like fun... but first need to get a real muffler on, then roof rack and stereo.
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

Picked up a welder a few weeks ago and have been working on getting that set up and practicing. So far I'm just set up for TIG, but it's a multiprocess machine so will eventually get set up for MIG as well.

I had a collector with muffler, but the muffler ran right into the upper bumper tube, so had to chop and add a few pieces. Welds look like garbage up close, but good enough and the car sounds and drives much better now.

Also found a great craigslist deal on crossbars, so got the roof basket mounted as well.

Next up is figuring out a trim line for the the front fenders to get rid of the headlight cutouts since I'm not using them anymore... Suggestions and photos for inspiration weldcome...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

8urrito wrote:

I had purchased the EMPI right facing oil filter mount, plus the right-facing header bracket, but that put the filter waaay to close to the pump, and just the fittings between pump and filter were almost touching. I didn't want to run elbows, so just flipped the bracket an stuck the filter off at an angle.

The filter mount to the exhaust flange studs is handy and works great for cars going to shows. But much of any time on or off the road and that bracket will get very hot. I have many times gotten out of my Baja bug or buggy at night to find the headers glowing for nearly the 1st foot. I really don't want to mount anything having to do with the oil system or fuel system there.

You might get away with it. But I don't recommend it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

[quote="dustymojave"]
8urrito wrote:

The filter mount to the exhaust flange studs is handy and works great for cars going to shows. But much of any time on or off the road and that bracket will get very hot. I have many times gotten out of my Baja bug or buggy at night to find the headers glowing for nearly the 1st foot. I really don't want to mount anything having to do with the oil system or fuel system there.

You might get away with it. But I don't recommend it.

Richard, thank you for the tip - the thought crossed my mind initially, but it just fell of my radar once I got it installed. This is a good reminder for me to keep an eye on things. I've got an oil temp gauge so I know everything inside is staying cool, but who knows what all that heat will do to the aluminum bracket or the filter seal...

First step will be to toss my IR thermometer in the car to see what sort of temps the bracket is getting to... I mean, it is bolted to an aluminum cylinder head that's obviously doing OK. Better safe than sorry though. Just a little tough brainstorming a new place to put the filter - things are pretty tight back there with the dual carb setup, so no obvious place to mount it on the firewall.

In other news, I think the car was waiting for me to get the quieter exhaust on to really start making some noise, and everything started squeaking at once. Brakes, fan belt, and the dreaded clutch tube bracket inside the tunnel... Rebuilt the brakes with grease on the backs of the pads this time, ordered a new belt, and chopped into the tunnel to get at the bracket.

Tossed a plastic shim in there to eliminate the metal fingernails on a metal chalkboard sound every time I shift, hopefully welding it back together later this weekend.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

I have repaired the clutch tube bracket by simply drilling a 3/8” hole through the tunnel and reaching though the e-brake hole with a screw driver, and Rosette welding the tab to the tunnel with a wire feed.

I discovered some squeaks as well with the muffler lol what a pain
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
I have repaired the clutch tube bracket by simply drilling a 3/8” hole through the tunnel and reaching though the e-brake hole with a screw driver, and Rosette welding the tab to the tunnel with a wire feed.

This is a great idea - I'm going to steal it with a variation. I think I'll slit the tunnel with a small cutoff wheel from the outside, right inline with the tab. Push the tab through the slot and weld from the outside. No welding inside the tunnel, and I bet will be a much stronger joint than trying to zap some fillets inside the tunnel... The tube seems to be preloaded with the tab pushing on the inside of the tunnel, so this should actually probably put it into a more neutral state.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: