Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch cable recrimp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: clutch cable recrimp Reply with quote

I've been searching but can't find the thread. I thought that I had read a while ago how some of the clutch cables need further crimping and/or soldering to prevent premature release of the cable strands.

I have again broke another clutch cable. I seem to go through 2 or 3 per year! I am tired of replacing them. I buy the kits from Scott at German supply, and I have also bought local replacement cables. Nothing is making a difference.

Any tips appreciated or if there is a thread on how to better prepare the aftermarket cables for extended use.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, in all my years of Bussin, I have never had a broken cable. But I have replaced it once or twice,just because.
Are you sure you do not have another problem, such as a clutch issue, which results in higher pedal effort?
Just guessin, here. I have used the run of the mill Brazilian cables on a few Dubs, no problems.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
Hmmm, in all my years of Bussin, I have never had a broken cable. But I have replaced it once or twice,just because.
Are you sure you do not have another problem, such as a clutch issue, which results in higher pedal effort?
Just guessin, here. I have used the run of the mill Brazilian cables on a few Dubs, no problems.

Clutch is new 36,000 miles ago. Bought the entire kit from bus depot. Clutch pedal pressure is normal compared to other buses I've driven. I grease everything and keep it clean. I try to do the most professional job possible and it let's me down, that is why it is so disappointing.

Oh well, at least it is Spring Break and I should have time to throw another cable in there.

2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are down there putting in your next clutch cable, at the very least remove the transmission ground strap at both points of attachment, check it out, and if it looks good enough to put back, clean both ends and both attachment points to bright clean metal before putting some vaseline or conductive grease on the ends and retightening it. Smart people on here taught me to do that, as if the ground strap doesn't give a good electrical path then your clutch cable will do. Until all that electricity beats it to death, anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dti wrote:
While you are down there putting in your next clutch cable, at the very least remove the transmission ground strap at both points of attachment, check it out, and if it looks good enough to put back, clean both ends and both attachment points to bright clean metal before putting some vaseline or conductive grease on the ends and retightening it. Smart people on here taught me to do that, as if the ground strap doesn't give a good electrical path then your clutch cable will do. Until all that electricity beats it to death, anyway...

Been there, done that recently, but I will check again while I am in the depths below.

ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your clutch cable is fraying at the pedal end it my just be an adjustment issue. 3/4 in freeplay at the top so that when the clutch pedal is depressed you shouldn`t have to press the pedal to the floor. If you push the pedal to the floor you may be pushing the clevis pin attachment point past its fulcrum point and putting strain on the cable. I hope this makes sense. When I installed my big engine with a Kennedy clutch I had these kinds of troubles and I found just staying on top my adjustments was key to longer cable life. Its just a thought
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know yet where this one broke. All of the cables that I can remember have broke at the crimp on the wing nut side. And when I say broke, I mean, a few strands of the cable let go and it unraveled enough to make it useless. I just picked up another replacement cable. It is some brand by the name of Cofle or something similar.

Are there cable manufactuers to go with or stay away from with clutch cables?

ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant bet a German cable ask for Italian then Mexican then last Brazilian. Have you changed your boden tube? It may be that the angle of the bowben tube is off. Check your Bently. they give great instruction on that. Good luck
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

The last time I ended up replacing a clutch cable, I squirted a bunch of WD-40 in the tube from the front and rear and then blew it all out using compressed air. Lots of crud came out and most of it was dead grease and rust.

Perhaps something in there is causing the cable to kink in there and subsequently break.

Also when installing the new cable, it pays to get a pair of vise grips on the forward side of the cable when you adjust the wingnut to avoid the cable from twisting in there. But you probably knew that already....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Suggestion:

The last time I ended up replacing a clutch cable, I squirted a bunch of WD-40 in the tube from the front and rear and then blew it all out using compressed air. Lots of crud came out and most of it was dead grease and rust.

Perhaps something in there is causing the cable to kink in there and subsequently break.

Also when installing the new cable, it pays to get a pair of vise grips on the forward side of the cable when you adjust the wingnut to avoid the cable from twisting in there. But you probably knew that already....

Now Randy, do I come across as a know-it-all? I certainly hope not, becuase I am always learning. I do however pay attention to the Bentley and the posts by those who seem to know a thing or two about these vehicles. I do use a pair of vice grips when when tightening the wingnut.

I have never "blown out" my cable housing tuble though. Just wondering if you blow from the back towards the front or vice versa? I would assume that blowing from the back is easier.

Please no jokes on the blowing of tubes, this is serious, we have a broken clutch cable! haha

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wing nut needs to be able to swivel smoothly in the socket of the end of the clutch release arm. It also only locks in two positions. You might inspect the arm to see if there are any burrs or anything that might keep the arm from swiveling. I would suggest applying some grease to the nut and socket to help smooth out the action.

I coat my cables end to end with moly grease when I install them, including the threads and the nut.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The wing nut needs to be able to swivel smoothly in the socket of the end of the clutch release arm. It also only locks in two positions. You might inspect the arm to see if there are any burrs or anything that might keep the arm from swiveling. I would suggest applying some grease to the nut and socket to help smooth out the action.

I coat my cables end to end with moly grease when I install them, including the threads and the nut.

Well I can tell you for sure that it it most likely does not rock smoothly in the clutch release arm. The cable that is called for on my bus is always too long, so I have in the past stacked nuts and washers between the arm and the wing nut.

I can now imagine that the threaded portion of the cable would be kinking with every clutch push becuase there is no swivel action allowed.

I have bought the earlier style cable (for the 68-71 type 2) as well. I belive it is 15 mm shorter than the Type IV style cable. I am going to try the earlier cable first with out stacking nuts and washers.

This may be the solution that I was needed to hear.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Me too.

I blow them from the front out to the rear. I did the heater vent at the same time since I had the air hose right there anyway (after I removed the accordian hoses).

For the record I did not mean that remark in that way, but sometimes when new people search for "clutch cable" they may not know to vise grip the cable while wingnutting.

I have one of these also which helps out a lot.... http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=TZE0023&cartid=0308201072530039

When I first got my bus, the PO had broken the weld at the bowden tube and that put the wrong angle on the cable. Might want to have a look at your while you are there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Me too.

I blow them from the front out to the rear. I did the heater vent at the same time since I had the air hose right there anyway (after I removed the accordian hoses).

For the record I did not mean that remark in that way, but sometimes when new people search for "clutch cable" they may not know to vise grip the cable while wingnutting.

I have one of these also which helps out a lot.... http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=TZE0023&cartid=0308201072530039

When I first got my bus, the PO had broken the weld at the bowden tube and that put the wrong angle on the cable. Might want to have a look at your while you are there.

OK, if I'm going to be 100% truthful, I should have stated that I have a problem with my clutch cable housing. When I first bought my bus, It had been seriously high centered on something at some point. The passenger side frame rail is curled a bit. The cross member where the heater "Y" runs through is crushed a bit, the large heater tube was crushed and the clutch cable housing was seriously tweaked.

SO, fast forward to the present day, the clutch cable housing has detached forward of the torsion tube, where I ended up cuting the tube and splicing in a flexible "poly" plumbing tube of the same OD and ID. It was worked for years this way. My splice may be on the short side because I don't have a true bend in my bowden tube. I have more of the poly piping and can play with the length.

I really don't know what a good solution is. IF YOU had a clutch cable housing that was severed 10 inches before the Torsion tube of the rear suspension, what would you do?

I have toyed with the idea of cuting a housing out of a parts bus and flaring the end of it and rewelding the bracket to the bottom of the torsion tube, but I would that the splice with create a sharp area for more cable friction.

Any thoughts appreciated.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
IF YOU had a clutch cable housing that was severed 10 inches before the Torsion tube of the rear suspension, what would you do?

make a new conduit/repair yours. it's within a few .001" of 1/2", so tubing will not be hard to find, you need thin wall stuff. make a careful clean butt joint and sleeve it with a larger size tube the is a tight fit. tack weld everything together. make the new cable conduit a bit longer than you think it needs to be, if need be you can trim it shorter. an extra few mm on the conduit might be helpful in avoiding the "too short cable syndrome". i would trim the conduit to size after you have the entire cable assembly installed and can prove that the cable ends where it need to. make sure to fabricate the little tag that holds the conduit to the torsion housing.
dti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things, then I would first either grind a hemisphere that is a good lubed fit for the clutch release lever "socket" end onto the last nut you are using to make up the extra length of cable, the cable adjuster end needs to be able to slide and roll in there or it will kink right at the end, where you see the frayed cable strands.

Then make up a piece of weldable or brazeable tube to fit snug over the ends of your cut/broken clutch cable tube, the tube itself has to be rigid as its what the cable gets resistance from, if that resistance isn't there the bowden tube isn't really going to do anything and the clutch will have a very weird soft mooshy feel, won't be accurately adjustable either. If the tube is still welded to the crossmember so its immobilized somewhere between the break and the bowden tube this wouldn't be as critical, but still probably a good thing to do by the way you have described it. Definitely fix the cable adjuster end, either with the right length cable or a better hack than a short stack of nuts, if you could make up a solid sleeve to take up the slack and grind a good ball end on to make a working fit on the release lever you'd be miles ahead...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out that a faulty piece in the front by the pedal caused my cable to break. The metal piece that the clevis pin locks (and rotates in) into the cable had "ovalized" . Because of this, the clevis pin was not working like it was supposed to (binding) and caused the cable to bend back and forth rather than move freely on the pin. After like a thousand or so uses, the metal became brittle and broke. With the new piece (fabricated by bus boys IIRC), I have had no problems.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that sometimes when the trans ground cable is missing or corroded the clutch cable can act as the engine ground and shorten the life to months due to damage from the electrical current heating it and sparking it.

Also - there are so many donors around, I would think that housing could be pulled out of one with a minimal of grinding.
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part about the stack of nuts and washers makes me wonder. i would think that the cable is not too long, but its path is too short. could your bowden tube be incorrect? could it have been cut short? if the bowden tube does not have the proper pre-load in it, that can lead to different strange occourances, not to mention a clutch adjustment that will never be just- right. do you have the bracket on that holds the end of the bowden?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool thread. Every potential problem and solution has been well addressed. And those are all potential problems that should clearly be considered. Only 3 others that might be worth thinking about. Bowden tubes can get wear and get bad so check the I.D. At the rear end of the steel tube where the Bowden tube slips on there is a welded tab that holds and positions the steel tube. Those do break or can get bent. Check that there is a straight transition and not a bend. Seems like BusDaddy had a great photo quite a while back. Also cleaning the tube like Randy says. I use an old broken cable with the broken strands flaired out. Chuck it in a drill and run it thru the long tube doing the roto-router thing. Then plenty of solvent and run a rag swab back and forth thru the tube. Any long wire twice the length with a tight loop in the center to hold a swab to pull it from both ends. Keep doing it 'till the swab comes out clean. Then plenty of new grease. And a new boot on the front. Also do the accelerator cable tube the same way. That cable wears and breaks also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: