Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Top...HELP
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tait D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Thing Top...HELP Reply with quote

the top of my car doesnt fit quite right.
I am curious as how to fix this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i think i might want a hardtop, would i have to take off this roll bar to put a hardtop on?

the frame is bent pretty badly

-thanks
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get some of these...

They rivet on to either side of the new top, attaching it to the frame (4 on each side). Most of the aftermarket tops omit these, but they definitely help keep the canvas tight to the frame. Mine didn't have them until my top got slashed and I replaced it with one that came with the clips, and that's when I realized what I'd been missing.
Tait D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where exactly do i attach them
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retaining clips (you can get them at the Thing Shop) will help, but I don't believe that they're critical in having the top fit right (I have them, but the top fits fine even when they're not snapped into place). I mean that top looks REALLY tight. In the photo with the top up, are the windshield latches secured? It may just need to stretch out over time, or it could be the bent frame that's the problem. Hard to say.

There are three clips per side - one above each door and one clip located in the middle behind the rear passenger window (approximately). They just keep the top edges secured to the frame. You need to unclip them when taking the top down.

I can't put on a hard top without removing my roll bar. Though I have seen Things with roll bars and hard tops. All depends on which roll bar and hard top you have I guess.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 clips per side for a total of 8 clips

They go where the orange arrows point:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to fix the bent frame with the reinforcement kit that the Thing Shop sells. I have installed this kit on my top with good results. You can find the kit here: http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181RK

Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
There are 4 clips per side for a total of 8 clips

They go where the orange arrows point:

Again, I stand corrected. 4 clips, not 3 per side. Man, I'm really slipping.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Roll bar too high? Reply with quote

It just looks to me like the roll bar sits up too high and therefore has created stress on the frame when trying to secure the top, no? It looks like the fabric is being held up to high by roll bar along the side.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tait D- off the subject, but where did you get the padding for your roll bar? Looks Great! Thanks, Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar too high? Reply with quote

THINGONER wrote:
It just looks to me like the roll bar sits up too high and therefore has created stress on the frame when trying to secure the top, no? It looks like the fabric is being held up to high by roll bar along the side.

I don't think so. My Thing has a roll cage and the same problem with the top. Basically the frame just gets bent out of shape as the top (aftermarket one that is already too tight) drys out and contracts. It somehow bends a few of the side rails out of alignment, and causes it to sit too high.

Straightening the frame, however you can do it, is the best solution. The problem is the top has to be disassembled to do this properly, and then you need new rivets (expensive for what they are).

Try removing the rear straps and tossing the fabric over the windshield. I think you will be able to see what is bent just by looking at it. To fix it, you could try a propane torch, two straight pieces of flat steel (at least 3/16in thick), and at least three c-clamps. Clamp the steel along the bar until it is straight, then apply heat to the top frame piece you are working on. That is the easiest way, but be careful not to hit any fabric with the flame (like what is wrapped around your cage).

Oh, as a side note. Most VW hard tops *should* fit that roll cage. My top does with a different cage, just barely (it touches the window on one side).
Tait D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your hard top? i can only see the rollbar contacting the frame on the sides behind the rear seat on the supporting bar.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tait D wrote:
Where did you get your hard top? i can only see the rollbar contacting the frame on the sides behind the rear seat on the supporting bar.

It came with the car. I don't really know for sure if it is an original VW or not, as it is missing the door posts, but fits *close* to how it should, and looks about right.

The top does have a few cutouts for the side bars of the cage. The side to side reinforcement ribs on the top were just a little too thick to fit in right (it was cut before I got it).
Tait D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv been searching for a hard top for a while, and i havnt seen a single one thats at a distance thats drive-able. also do you think that the support brackets will work even if the top frame is out of whack, im worried that the top will still not come down right because it is way too tight as it is. and if anyone is has a hardtop they want to sell or trade 650 269 9023
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tait D wrote:
also do you think that the support brackets will work even if the top frame is out of whack, im worried that the top will still not come down right because it is way too tight as it is.

You mean the clips? They should work, it will just take a little bit of effort to put them on. My advise for stretching out the fabric is to leave the top up, and in direct sunlight as much as possible. For some reason, the sun really helps these fabrics. You might want to occasionally pull on the sides of the top some, just to help the stretching process.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: