Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Major turbulance on highway
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Major turbulance on highway Reply with quote

Got a 62 beetle and installed 205/55 15 in rear and 195/55 15 before moving out to kansas. Whenever an 18 wheeler or big enough SUV switches lanes right in front of me, my bug starts to shake pretty hard, almost like a flat tire feel. I've noticed I've got some positive camber which I'm going to need to adjust out, but is this the real problem, is there more to it or is that just what you get with a swing axle?
Airspeed
www.airspeedvwclub.com
"Do not assume that there isn't room for improvement just because VW didn't do it."

Samba #34091
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same.. i dont get the flat tire symptoms tho I run diferent tires to.. i think its just cause your car weighs 2k and an 18 wheeler can way upwards of 100k. My 2000 ford superduty on 37's whould do the same thing and it weighd 8k. I wouldnt worrie about it
Herby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I was thinking a swingaxle would normally feel that way, it was just significant when truckers got right in front of me. I was thinking the positive camber I have was adding to it, just checking if others had experienced it. Thanks! Very Happy
Airspeed
www.airspeedvwclub.com
"Do not assume that there isn't room for improvement just because VW didn't do it."

Samba #34091
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How low is the car? How much "rake" from front to rear? What is your true caster measurement? Negative or minimal caster will affect how your car handles going down the road.

These all affect how the car handles. Just remember-- the car is still light regardless of how it is set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: