Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L74-79 Ignition lock cylinder / ignition switch blues. FAQ
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Jake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: L74-79 Ignition lock cylinder / ignition switch blues. FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322935&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]L74-79 Ignition lock cylinder / ignition switch blues. FAQ[/url]

btw, the key is stuck in the lock cylinder (yes i've tried it, yes my dad tried it, my wife, friend, and even a locksmith), so the lock cylinder has to go also. and also, I've searched infinitum.

ok, So I have followed this tutorial to a T. (btw thanks randy in maine)

http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/bclausen/How_to_files/IgnSw/index.html

I've also read through this looking for additional info, if you have an older than 75ish bus this tutorial is definitely for you.

http://www.dolgyfre.adsl24.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How do I remove the peening?

My ignition switch is out of the steering lock. This was exactly what my problem was, that ignition switch has trouble turning even sticking a screw driver in it. In other words, it's toast. And in my haste, I cut off the key to remove the housing because the diameter of the key's head was too large to lift the housing over the head of the key.

Now my current dilemma. Although they're blurry bare with me. The Bentley manual designates a place to drill into the steering lock assembly. (consult your own for better clarity if necessary)

Now it doesn't tell you how far you need to drill in, only that you need a 3mm bit, or about 1/8th of an inch. And based on the location of where to drill in the diagram, i would be drilling straight across into nothing but open air, heres a couple pics that better describe what I am having trouble with.

If you follow the diagrams in the Bentley, you drill into nothing. then another piece of cast metal, into nothing again.

So where do I need to drill? Do I even need to get the peening out of the side?

I want this lock cylinder out of there so I can put in the new ignition switch and new lock cylinder so I can be done with this headache!!!!

expletives enunciated!!! Arghhhh!!!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to drill at the top end of the left arrow (on the side of the cylinder), the hole needs to be approx 1/8" deep, you'll feel the drill fall in a tiny bit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put a piece of tape on the bit so that only 1/8" of drill bit is showing. That way you know when to stop. You don't want a lot of pressure on the drill or speed. Just let it drill without pressure so you don't over drill and take your time. SLOW.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: The lock cylinder / ignition switch blues. Reply with quote

Just Jake wrote:
The Bentley manual designates a place to drill into the steering lock assembly. (consult your own for better clarity if necessary)

Now it doesn't tell you how far you need to drill in, only that you need a 3mm bit, or about 1/8th of an inch. And based on the location of where to drill in the diagram, i would be drilling straight across into nothing but open air, heres a couple pics that better describe what I am having trouble with.

If you follow the diagrams in the Bentley, you drill into nothing. then another piece of cast metal, into nothing again.

So where do I need to drill? Do I even need to get the peening out of the side?

you don't drill where the arrows are. the arrows are to show the 13mm measurement as to how far down on the housing to drill the hole.
you are essentially drilling the housing so you can have access to the release tab on the ignition lock cylinder. don't drill too fast, and yes, you will feel the drill "drop through" the housing. that is when to stop, because you don't want to drill a hole in the tab. when the hole is drilled, you stick a metal pin or even the drill bit back in the hole, press the tab, and pull the cylinder out.

here's a pic of where to drill the hole. my deepest and most sincere apologies to nigel for the center of the hole being 12mm from the edge (the near edge of the hole is 10.7mm from the housing edge, the far edge of the hole is 13.3mm from the housing edge) and the hole only being 2.6mm in diameter rather than the specified 3mm Rolling Eyes :

the relation of the drill bit to the housing when drilling :

you can see the release tab on the side of the cylinder:

Just Jake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your insight, now this is finally clarified and easily searched for those of us that come across this very issue again.

It's quite the motorfinger.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the two links, but how do you get the mount off of the steering column? It's stuck and the key doesn't turn. '71 Bus

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it all figured out

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: