Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Separating a '59 vert chassis and body
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Separating a '59 vert chassis and body Reply with quote

I am finally ready to separate the body from the chassis, but I want to make sure the body won’t deform as I will disassemble the top mechanism and the doors to paint them separately.
I have seen pictures that show support bars in the door openings. Are they available or easy to make? Or may be some one that went trough this before is willing to lend or sell them?
Thanks!

ALejandro

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Bugstuff, (724) 785-7000. They are rumoured to have some nice pre-fabbed braces that bolt to the door hinge plates and the striker plate on the other side, so that welding braces isn't required. There are pictures of the Beetle ones in the body/paint forum sticky on support rails.

If you think you might need some cross-body braces, I don't know of anyone who makes something like that. You may need to weld those.
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Seperating a 59 vert chassis Reply with quote

Hi ALejandro
Glad to see another lowlight in NH, where in NH are you located? Me and my 58 cabrio are located in Goffstown NH a few minutes outside Manchester.

You would be surprised how durable the body is when taken off the pan. That is if you have good rockers. If not then certainly some bracing on the doors would be needed.

-Craig
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Separating a '59 vert chassis and body Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
I am finally ready to separate the body from the chassis, but I want to make sure the body won’t deform as I will disassemble the top mechanism and the doors to paint them separately.
I have seen pictures that show support bars in the door openings. Are they available or easy to make? Or may be some one that went trough this before is willing to lend or sell them?
Thanks!

ALejandro

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like your posters, did you just get those made at a sign shop? Nice job.
LaurensM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be carefull with those pre-fabbed braces.

Like you know every Ghia is handbuild and could be different with a few millimeters.

On my Ghia we took a steel bar, made it fit perfectly and welded it in. That way you know that the opening is always the same.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: