Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Raising your lowered bus to stock height (saving buses)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou V.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Raising your lowered bus to stock height (saving buses) Reply with quote

Well I see all the threads about how to lower your bus, But lets talk about saving the splits and give them some ground clearance! I have saved my 60 double cab. When I got it had lowered spindles and a straight axel kit! so install some rebuilt spindles and a big nut tranny some BFG 215 75 15 on stock rims and lets go of roading so we to can get a picture of our bus in the off the beaten path thread( best thread for you dirt junkys). Here is a before and after pic!
Lets see what buses have been saved!!

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after

Last edited by Lou V. on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '61 double cab when I bought it.

And now

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 79 buses so far, but they were all stock height. I have never bought a bus that has been lowered. does this make me a good stock nazi or a bad stock nazi?

some of the buses that I have sold have been lowered after I sold them though, so does that make me a good flipper or a bad flipper?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I have owned 79 buses so far, but they were all stock height. I have never bought a bus that has been lowered. does this make me a good stock nazi or a bad stock nazi?

some of the buses that I have sold have been lowered after I sold them though, so does that make me a good flipper or a bad flipper?

Without flippers, how would flippees obtain their busses? I have owned (excluding parts busses) over 35 splits, all stock height. I don't even look at lowered busses for sale, because I don't want to deal with other peoples' modifications of varying quality. Fixing hacked wells is bad enough, let alone tubs and completely missing stock drivetrains....
Lou V.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: raised buses Reply with quote

Sled wrote
rather than pushing stock height jesus, maybe you could just call it the back to stock thread or something. Unless of course you REALLY do feel like you are superior to the people who lower their buses.

As my double cab is not stock with a big nut tranny and 1776 and the front and rear original pressed bumpers I feel highly superior to the lowered bus trend. My crew cab goes many more places than a lowered bus a I don't cringe when i see speed bumps! LOL I'll let the jesus freaks push there agenda and I'll stick to raising buses! Thanks
And lind that's a pretty good record 79 stock to 0 lowered, I to wish I lived in Idaho for that reason alone!!
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard ride height is nice, as is standard motor and tranny, so long as you aren't trying to drive too far or too fast.
If you guys with stock Buses drive them everyday including long freeway trips then all power to you but I suspect the majority of the standard ride height brigade don't.
Tell me, do child points also horribly marr the originality of the bus?
If so my kids can tough it out in a hacked up, lowered bus.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
Standard ride height is nice, as is standard motor and tranny, so long as you aren't trying to drive too far or too fast.
If you guys with stock Buses drive them everyday including long freeway trips then all power to you but I suspect the majority of the standard ride height brigade don't.

I can't speak for the rest of the stock height crowd, but....

back highways are more fun than freeways. I have put down well over 10,000 miles of stock height road trips so far this year, most of which were in a bone stock 40hp bus. the rest were in a bus with a bignut and a 1600. over the last fifteen years, I have put down almost a quarter million miles on stock height buses. I have made many road trips that were in the 3,000 - 10,000 mile range.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Andy P wrote:

Now that's just silly talk.

What's silly talk?
How many of you guys run standard trannys and tyres and ride height, etc. and happily drive along at 75mph for hour after hour?
It's a pertinent question.
I did the 125 mile trip home from Sydney last night in 2 hours sitting on about 75mph the entire way.
My bus has IRS and an 1303 L-Bug 'box and the motor, a 1600dp with twin Kadrons, extractors and a full flow oil system with external cooler, did 3500rpm most of the way with the exception of 1 or 2 hills that were really nasty.
How happy is a 1500sp or 36hp doing those sort of speeds, because at that speed with a swingaxle box and redux hubs it must be revving its tits off.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
///Mink wrote:
Andy P wrote:

Now that's just silly talk.

What's silly talk?
How many of you guys run standard trannys and tyres and ride height, etc. and happily drive along at 75mph for hour after hour?
I did the 125 mile trip home from Sydney last night in 2 hours sitting on about 75mph the entire way.
My bus has IRS and an 1303 L-Bug 'box and the motor, a 1600dp with twin Kadrons, extractors and a full flow oil system with external cooler, did 3500rpm most of the way with the exception of 1 or 2 hills that were really nasty.
How happy is a 1500sp or 36hp doing those sort of speeds, because at that speed with a swingaxle box and redux hubs it must be revving its tits off.

DUH 55mph, 60mph if I get an urge. How many hours? Many.

I would like to upgrade to a 46mm rear end sometime in the future.

It is not "revving it's tits off" I find it to rev a lot lower than a stock Beetle motor. But my Truck doesn't have a tach. I run a 1600sp and the 36mm rear and it's a real peppy setup with plenty of power in 4th to climb hills.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**

Last edited by Ian on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the cruising speed have to do with the credibility of driving a stock drivetrain bus daily on long trips. Some people are more than happy to cruise at 55 or 60 for many hours at a time in 75 mph traffic.
Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lou verrilli wrote:

I can't wait another 20 years when lowered buses are not cool and well all be fixing there crap!

Lou lowered buses is what got me into buses 20 years ago...damn I feel old... back to more stock height buses please.

Eriba Puck Sticky
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:

I drive on the interstate (350 miles over the Rockies) often with my stock big nut and 1500.

Also, there are numerous threads about "slamming buses on their nuts" so why not let the stock guys have this thread? Just remember, a bus that has been raised can always be lowered, tubed, and made "hard as fuck" again. Confused

Lets see some stock buses! Smile

Last edited by langsmer on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can have an Irs rear end and stay stock height

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:

What's silly talk?

125 miles? Wow.

I've driven my stock-height heavy Westy 600 miles straight at 65mph (stopping to pee, of course). Very Happy No, it's not 75, but 65 is plenty fast for me in a Bus.

Can we please get back to the subject of raising buses back to stock height now?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if the bus was only 1/2 lowered?

The '55 single cab I used to have had broken springs in the front, so the front was lowered, but the rear was normal.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
How about if the bus was only 1/2 lowered?

The '55 single cab I used to have had broken springs in the front, so the front was lowered, but the rear was normal.

"Broken" and "lowered" sometimes mean the same thing, and sometimes they do not. Much more so in the Beetle forums, though.
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a holier than thou thing. Take a '31 Deusenburg, lower it, and then take it to the Pebble Beach Concours. People there won't feel holier than thou, they'll just see that you don't appreciate what you have and feel sad.
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderhater clean-up notice.

Let's try to stay on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so lets say john doe finds a 56 23 window in terrible shape, it is rusted beyond belief, and missing many original parts. He fixes all of the rust and damage, and sources all the original parts needed to make the bus complete. He also lower is with highly modified suspension.

He sells it to a guy who likes stock height buses, this fella raises it back up with the stock suspension that john doe had kept.

now is this new fella the buses' savior?? or did john doe give the bus the respect it deserved by bringing it back from the dead?

If this post is too off topic, please delete it. I really just dont understand the savior attitude.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
It's not a holier than thou thing. Take a '31 Deusenburg, lower it, and then take it to the Pebble Beach Concours. People there won't feel holier than thou, they'll just see that you don't appreciate what you have and feel sad.

Find me a cheap '31, field condition or not, and I will keep it stock. Wink

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: