Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can you find a good TDI?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Where can you find a good TDI? Reply with quote

I'm curious where people go to find TDI engines without a ton of miles on them to use for conversions. I've been watching the junk yards and craigslist for several months and I've never seen a TDI by itself or in a wrecked vehicle being parted out. Is there a better source out there? Can you speak to insurance companies directly and try to request to be contacted if one becomes available? What am I missing here?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where can you find a good TDI? Reply with quote

bikenerd wrote:
I'm curious where people go to find TDI engines without a ton of miles on them to use for conversions. I've been watching the junk yards and craigslist for several months and I've never seen a TDI by itself or in a wrecked vehicle being parted out. Is there a better source out there? Can you speak to insurance companies directly and try to request to be contacted if one becomes available? What am I missing here?

I search www.car-part.com

1996-97 Passat, 1997-early '99 Jetta are the best engines to fit under the lid, in stock Vanagon diesel configuration. There are rarely any of these under 100K miles. I sell brand new long blocks, but you'd still need all of the bolt-on parts.

I personally don't worry about miles as much, because when you are swapping parts over like the oil pan, just replace the rod and main bearings. Ideally you're going to want to pull the head on any used engine no matter the mileage, so that you can completely remove the carbon buildup in the intake ports and around the valves. You could replace the rings at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Where can you find a good TDI? Reply with quote

bikenerd wrote:

I found these guys a while back but haven't talked to them.
http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/Mainframe.htm
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looky here in my neck of the woods http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/pts/872299595.html you might want to ask around at a salvage yard, if or who, buys wrecked late model cars at the auction. Be up front with them, and tell them you are looking for the whole car, and what you want off of the car, and they can have the rest after you are done. Have cash in hand, and ask how much would it cost to make some calls to get the ball rolling. Bend over backwards and kiss there ass, you are asking them a favour, remember most of the guys at junk yards dont want to lift a finger. Fingers are for counting money and they have plenty of it , but sometime's you get lucky and find a guy that treats you like a person. but I would say that the vw tdi in your neck of the woods will be a very hard to find car wrecked. But thats the way I would go if it was me. I will say, there was this auction I went to for over 10 yrs, I'd go 2 times a month. They had over 300 cars every other week and not once did a vw tdi come in. A large wrecker service might be a good place too, they're the first stop before the auction or junk yard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny - I've seriously searched DC craigslist off and on for months looking for TDIs and the day I post a question about it one pops up. Go figure.
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TDI from Thomas at Quality German Auto parts. He sold me the engine complete, the complete harness/ECU and all the basic parts that are needed to convert my Syncro. I haven't had a chance to open the engine up yet but it is suppose to have around 50K on it. The engine looks hardly used all cast iron is still black (not rusted) and the aluminum parts do not have any corrosion. I will let you know when I open it up how it looks.

If you buy a TDI from Thomas talk to Karl Mullendore first to see what parts you will need. I bought some extra stuff that Karl advised me not to use. I trust Karl knows his stuff. He installs them and Thomas just sells them.

Good luck and check out Karls web site I have learned a bunch already.

Grizz
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada is your best bet if you dont mind driving to get it.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check outwww.ridesafely.com. They're an auctioneer for insurance companies I think.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikenerd wrote:
That's funny - I've seriously searched DC craigslist off and on for months looking for TDIs and the day I post a question about it one pops up. Go figure.
thats funny i thought you lived in ca Confused but balt md thats even better Laughing let us know if you bought it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gator70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion. A professional 96-98 TDI conversion now running in a vanagon trouble free can be bought for $5000 -$6000. You take this van and carefully pull parts and install it in yours. Then junk the rest. Contact me for the plug and play setup.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can you find a good TDI? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

www.car-part.com

A fantastic source of hard to find parts IMO. I would try to find an engine close enough that you could go check it out before you bought it.

I've also found that the "call for price" adds there are often the cheapest prices.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: