Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeep resistor for blower fan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshtw709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

I did this conversion at the same time as swapping in a new front blower fan. fan stopped turning on yesterday, and I discovered a blown fuse. swapped that out and now fan only works on setting 3 and won't kick on when the switch is on setting 1 or 2. I suspect the resistor is at fault? any other things that could be causing this?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

Classic bad resistor mode. Luckily for you, now it's easy plug & play!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

How long did it last?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

Have you checked, or are we just assuming your switch, wiring & connectors are all good?

- Dave

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

I like the accessibility of this mod, but haven't been too impressed with the quality of the aftermarket resistors themselves. Perhaps an OE Jeep version would be a wise investment.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

FWIW, my $12 OE Jeep (Mopar) "Made-in-USA" resistor has been running for 3 years so far...

<maintaining crossed fingers>

- Dave

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FWIW, my $12 OE Jeep (Mopar) "Made-in-USA" resistor has been running for 3 years so far...

<maintaining crossed fingers>

- Dave

Ha,ha,ha,ha. $25 in Canada. Didn't check to see where it was made.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

Those types of resistors are tough things .....

BUT

They MUST BE IN THE BLOWER AIR STREAM to be cooled or the will over heat and burn out rapidly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

i've got some extra ceramic resistors from my AC delete... i wonder if it would be smart to mount those in a port like the Jeep resistor for easy replacement. the ceramic ones have a lower surface temp due to dropping the voltage over a larger mass and surface area. they still need cooling air flow but i think i'll look at doing this when i tackle my fan. also have the Dorman wire coil resistor but those coils do run like a toaster element. very hot. it just seems to be a slight increase in fire hazard to run them in a plastic plenum subject to debris infiltration.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

Mine has been working well for about 9 months and they're mounted in the plenum air flow. Easy peezy to replace. How long did the failed ones last?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

DO IT, and post up a new thread! Almost anything's better than the original, and the more good options the better...

Cool

- Dave

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

I've never thought of this, but having a toaster element in the airflow also means in the summer when you turn the fan on for cooling air, it's getting heated by these things. Argh.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

I've seen OEM fan resistors melt the plastic they are mounted in.
They don't run all that cool.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

That was why I replaced mine with the Jeep version. Seeing that blistered plastic was not great. Cruise around on low fan speed means lots of heat in that old plastic box.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

Hi Josh,

So I think this is the third time asking how long the Jeep resisters lasted for you. Any input for the herd? Thanks.

Doug
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

Checking his photos and posts, he installed it about 7 months ago.

He also said it smelled when in speed 1 or 2, so maybe it had a problem from the start.

Resistors warm up when in use. They are rated in watts for a reason. They need to be mounted where there is airflow or they may overheat. If they are not rated for enough watts they may die, even with airflow. If the motor stalls or doesn't get up to speed the current will be higher than normal and the resistor will get hotter than normal. This can burn out the resistor and/or cause melting nearby. This is not a flaw with the resistor.

Mark
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

^^^ Hasn't been on since he posted this. Probably out pulling the dash...again... Wink Rolling Eyes

- Dave

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

the OEM ceramics run really hot, too hot to touch. but they don't run red hot at the ignition point of some combustibles. so, they are *somewhat* safer but the Jeep wire coil ones can be safe too mounted properly.

it's like my 1B14 Toastmaster toaster. runs REALLY hot with bright red nichrome wires and makes toast faster than any modern toaster that has reduced the wire temp for consumer safety. thank lawsuits for your modern slow toaster but if used smartly, red hot is just fine as evidenced by my 1948 beauty still in daily service without incident.

http://kaxeengineer.blogspot.com/2008/09/american-engineering-toastmaster.html

-dan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

^^^ So much truth!

FWIW, same reason I recently sprung for the B&D "Rapid Toast" model:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-2-Slice-Stainless-TR3500SD/dp/B00LU2HVAO

50% faster = 90% better! Cool Wink

Back on topic, I suspect a <somewhat> faulty resistor is the cause of the OP's issue.

- Dave

joshtw709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: jeep resistor for blower fan Reply with quote

been installed for about 7 months. on the road so I won't be pulling the dash for another couple weeks.

update - runs in setting 1 and 3 but not 2. my guess is faulty resistor. will keep y'all posted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: