Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Westy Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ugly bus right now. Laughing

It will get better though. I have the front cut off now and a lot of sanding to go. I'm tired of sanding already and I haven't even started. Crying or Very sad

My 74 Westy in the works!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324463
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
PARTSBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's awesome man! stick with it, there will be ups an downs, just try think about where your first adventure will be in your sweet VW!
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if it would be ok to cut out the front floor pan and dog legs at the same time or is this a no no?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
neonrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal!!! keep us posted on progress and good luck!!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkfloydms wrote:
Anyone know if it would be ok to cut out the front floor pan and dog legs at the same time or is this a no no?

What would you use for measurements if you cut it all off first? I imagine you could though.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busnerd wrote:
I bet the nose and front doors have been replaced from a white donor bus.

Yes, and I bet it was mine. I recognize that bus and I know where (Floyd) got it. I traded a splitty for my bus from the same guy. My Bay was originally white, and I haven't checked the doors yet, but I know that there were pieces on mine that weren't original and came off of your bus. Relax...only a couple pieces. Smile In fact, I got some of the brown plaid cushions that came in yours...and I don't know if that was an accident, or just put in there to make mine more complete.

Anyhoo, the door panels on my bus aren't correct, and when I looked inside your bus, I noticed green door panels. Didn't realize until I started my research that the green ones were proper for mine. The ones on mine are a tan color.

So if the main evidence for the original color is your white doors, that might be a false lead. Only way to know for sure is to decode it. But then again, you say you'll repaint it anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

FWIW, when I went up to get mine (all the way from Florida), I looked at that one long and hard. Pretty nice bus, and I was surprised it took so long to sell considering its condition. That rust repair looks pretty easy. And its hard to tell, but that front floor looks like you could just whiz the rust off it, POR it, and be good to go. But the pictures may be lying to me.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the front floor isn't rusted through yet, but it's close. I just figured for the price of it, I may as well go ahead and replace it. I think I will wait and do the floor and dog legs separately though. After looking at it, it looks like it would prolly be better to do the floor last since it is on top.

You got my cushions! Evil or Very Mad
j/k
I don't think I'll be going with the plaid.

I think the original color is that weird light green/yellow, in the back that is the only color above the metal, s\o unless someone sanded it all the way down that should be it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the numbers behind the drivers seat. Could someone decode them for me? Confused

42 076 977

964849 D55 P27 073 227

48 5 7749 UJ 2319 43

And the silver sticker in the door jam that has the vin, has the dates.

02/74
12/73

Of course I knew it was a '74, but what are there 2 dates for?
1 for manufacture and 1 for assembly?

Thanks guys.

Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkfloydms wrote:
Yeah the front floor isn't rusted through yet, but it's close. I just figured for the price of it, I may as well go ahead and replace it. I think I will wait and do the floor and dog legs separately though. After looking at it, it looks like it would prolly be better to do the floor last since it is on top.

You got my cushions! Evil or Very Mad
j/k
I don't think I'll be going with the plaid.

I think the original color is that weird light green/yellow, in the back that is the only color above the metal, s\o unless someone sanded it all the way down that should be it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The cushions were no prize. The one for the back looked like someone died on it. I tried to keep it just for the dimensions since I wouldn't use the foam either (nasty!), but I swear to you...I think someone stole it from me out of my bus. You'd have to need a cushion pretty darn bad to steal that thing....yuck.

I think the right plaid color for yours is actually the blue/green plaid which I kinda like. But I think the yellow/green is an aquired taste. Smile

Keep us updated with how the resto is going.

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone decode the numbers for me, please? Smile

Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkfloydms wrote:
Here are the numbers behind the drivers seat. Could someone decode them for me? Confused

42 076 977

964849 D55 P27 073 227

48 5 7749 UJ 2319 43

02/74
12/73

Thanks guys.

Lazy! Smile I'm not going to present the results all logical like you did. I'll just spout what I found.

The m-codes went on after Westfalia got done with it. Yes, you have two dates...one for manufacture at VW, and the rest when Westfalia got finished. From what I can figure out, Westfalia either did the m-codes, or it was shipped back to the factory and VW did it right before they sent it out to their dealerships.

Anyway, its a '74 model, deluxe campmobile, that was painted Revenna green (i.e., your yellow color). The interior decodes as "camping red" on the database I used, but I think it means "camping green", which is the green and blue plaid interior. It has an export code of "Jacksonville/Honolulu" on the list I used, so it came to the U.S. from one of those ports....probably Jax. It has a code for U.S. specifications, left hand drive, right side sliding door, vent wings, detachable headrest and redundant codes indicating it is a Westfalia, and has a popup top. Oh, and it is coded for an automatic transmission. It was produced the 8th week of '74, but you knew that from your silver sticker anyway.

The only reason I decoded your camper is I was trying to figure out which of my parts might have come from your camper, or vice versa. Other than paint colors, ours are much the same in terms of the interior. How do your front seats look?

Steve
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

Good buy Floydums! Make sure to take this tear down opportunity to do some serious soundproofing on all the floor metal and the engine compartment.I will look for update on the progress.
1303 sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkfloydms wrote:

42 076 977

964849 D55 P27 073 227

48 5 7749 UJ 2319 43

02/74
12/73

Thanks guys.

Look under the Technical tab at the top right corner of the screen under the banner adds. Click type2 and then Vehicle ID! Wink
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies/answers guys. I'll try getting some updated pics over the next day or two.

Very Happy

pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy steve, the seats are blue, but the passenger seat had the wrong bracket on it. It has the swivel bracket and wasn't attached properly to the rails. The rails are ok though so maybe I'll be able to find a new bracket for it. They are going to need re-stuffed and covered, but the head rests are in great condition.

I'll get some pics in the next day or two. I may sell em if someone needs them because I'm not 100 sure I will be using them yet. You never know what's going to pop up on ebay!

pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some new pics. I ordered some replacement panels, floor pan, doglegs, etc... Now after I get back from New Years I can get to welding. Twisted Evil
Then I'll finish sanding and get it sprayed with some epoxy primer till it's ready to be painted.

Is there a way to tell which heads these are by the numbers? If not, what are the numbers/measurements for 1.7 and 1.8 heads? Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics...

I got the front cut off now.

My garage is getting too filled up now, I need to make some more room!

Looks like I'm going to have to do a little shaping of sheet metal for this.
The other side is the same way. Sad

pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it may be time for a little update. I haven't been able to move very fast because of work and other day to day stuff, but anyway... Here are some pics. Confused

Everything cut out and test fitting the wheel arch.

I had to put in a few pieces of sheet metal in the back of the arch, It had a couple of holes about the size of a quarter(not the ones with plugs). Looks like it's where the tire would throw water, mud, etc... at it.
Then I was able to make the back of the new wheel arch fit pretty decently. The back where it meets the pillar by the sliding door fits nice and tight and lines up good with a little coarsening. Door gaps on the back are good now and it's tacked into place.

The front is a different story. I'm gonna have to do a little more work to get in into place. It needs to go up about 1/4" to make the door gap the same all the way around. I only have it held in place with some vice grips at the bottom until I get back in the garage to do some banging, hitting, cutting, etc... I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about.

Needs to go forward a hair more too.

Anyway one side almost done one to go, then I'll throw in the floor and put the front panel on. After the front is done there really isn't too much left as far as body work goes, then it'll be off to get painted!! Twisted Evil

pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a close up of their front door, so I can see the bottom gap in the door? From the other pics I see it looks like the front of the doors gap is a little bigger than the back but it's a little hard to tell being so far away. Maybe if someone has a chance and doesn't mind could they measure the gap at the front of their door than at the back of their door(bottom).

Thanks

bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can see the gap on here. its definately bigger at the bottom of the door.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: