Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Westy Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a big chunk of the work is behind you on the Doglegs. Can't wait to see the progress as you go along. What is your planned completion date?

73 Super Beetle (sold),78 Triple White Vert, 74 Westy, 2008 City Jetta, 2008 Audi A4 2.0 T, 2009 Teardrop Trailer. 2009 Suzuki SV650A
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great!

the attention to detail is exceptional, buddy!

Keep up the good work!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I'll have the front completed with in the nest few weeks. After that I feel I will be over half the battle. Cool I'm thinking something like late may or so I'll be ready for some paint. It really depends on how fast spring gets here. If it stays really warm I'll have to halt for a while and get the boat ready too(I live at a lake), then friends will be coming up and so on. Anyway I think June I will definitely be ready.

Anyone have measurements of the gaps for me please?

Thanks again for the help guys.

My 74 Westy in the works!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324463
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG, hopefully when I get done mine will look as nice as yours. I love that AC in yours, although I don't think it'll work in a westy will it?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a repop nose skin or a good used one? The repop one I got was a PITA to get on. I had to put the door opening flange on on one side and use a ratchet strap to to pull the skin over enough to go into place on the other side. The lower lip was also a little short right in the middle also so there is very little of a crimp there. I wish I could have found a good used one. It would have been alot easier.

Good luck and I'll be watching this thread for updates. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be a new front panel. I figure it will be a PITA if it's anything like the front wheel arches I got, both sides were about 1/4" short on the front, yours looked a lot better than the reproduction ones I got though. Mine were klokkeropiwehfoinhe;fw or something like that. Laughing

Where did you egt your nose from? They are all made by the same manufacturer regardless of where you order from though aren't they?

gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkfloydms wrote:
Gonna be a new front panel. I figure it will be a PITA if it's anything like the front wheel arches I got, both sides were about 1/4" short on the front, yours looked a lot better than the reproduction ones I got though. Mine were klokkeropiwehfoinhe;fw or something like that. Laughing

Where did you egt your nose from? They are all made by the same manufacturer regardless of where you order from though aren't they?

I got my nose from Bus Depot but they got it from www.eisparts.com. Yes, they are all made by the same company. I think EZGruv got one from cip1 for his bus. You'll have to shop around to get the best price.Shipping is what is going to kill ya. It cost me just as much to ship it as the price of the nose skin itself.

My doglegs were genuine VW parts from BusDepot. I got them for $99 a piece. They are great. I did have to cut one bracket off the back side cause it was in the way but that was it.
pinkfloydms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from busdepot.com too. Yeah it was gonna be like $400 for the nose and shipping on top of the floor pan and doglegs I got, so I had to hold off on the nose at the time.

Thanks for that link. Looks like shipping is cheaper on there for me. Cool

gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.
zdexman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: One Saved! Reply with quote

Im really happy to see my bus coming back to life! As a VW pimp(selling for money) I always like to place them in homes if I can. I see this one was saved It was headed to the crusher when I got it!!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: