Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question for Okrasa owners
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Question for Okrasa owners Reply with quote

Hello-

I was adding up how much my Okrasa project will cost me, and I'm starting to wonder if it will be worth it (performance wise).

From a performance perspective, what's it like to drive a car with an Okrasa engine? Is it similar to a DP 1600?

If you had to buy/build an Okrasa engine again, would you do it?

If you bought/built one again, what would you do differently?

For the record, my plan it to build an Okrasa engine with an emphasis on drivability and longevity. I plan on keeping the heavy flywheel, installing a counterweighted 74mm Porsche crank, 77 stroker pistons, a mild cam, 28 blade fan, Berg sump, full flow filter, and a 019 distributor.

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was adding up how much my Okrasa project will cost me, and I'm starting to wonder if it will be worth it (performance wise).

Huh? Confused

You cannot get modern day performance from a 36hp case.
Yes, you could get very similar performance from a 1600 at a fraction of the price.

Thats just not what it's about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okrasa engine???

only the heads and rest as discription???

i do had built an 36hp wit custom machinen heads, a cam, 74mm crank and higher compression lighter flywheel

the engine runs great, better than a stock or 2carb 36hp engine but to get a comparison to a stock 1600 engien is really difficult....

if you built this engine you need also a drillend flywheel matchin to that 8 dowel porsche crank, also longer pushrods, also 356 conekting rots with custm bushings (porsche has a 22mm bolt, vw 77mm pistons 20mm)
also spacers are required (10-12mm on each side) and on and on

if you are interested look on my website ( sorry in german) and follow the restauration on my 57 ->part / teil 17... and you will see how many work it is... in stalling a 1600 is much easyer an cheaper, but i think this is not the goal Smile

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
Quote:
Huh? Confused
You cannot get modern day performance from a 36hp case.
Yes, you could get very similar performance from a 1600 at a fraction of the price.Thats just not what it's about.

I thought the same thing? The Okrasa is not about trying to stay up with the larger motors like the 1600's its all about the vintage aspect of it? If one were to want to run a Okrasa setup strictly for performance in the area of a 1600, your wasting your time and money.
Jamestown, New York 14701
Stateside Imported Cars/Motors Items Wanted

Sunland Motors
2030 Fremont St Las Vegas, Nevada
Sunland Motors Items Wanted
JorgeDavidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you better ask Ricardo (splitpartsunlimited)
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say I love my Okrasa!! For me, its the fact that not everyone on the block has one. If I want speed, I'll take my wifes 4 motion Passat for a drive. Now thats v-6 power! A 36 hp Okrasa is impressive, but it is what it is. I'm in to my motor $8000.00. That kinda hurt to type! Thats for buying the kit from "Wiggy", having a case built with n.o.s. parts, and all tin powder coated. Do I think it was worth it, yes. I dont care about resale value. This motor is not or. to the car. There are alot of people on this site that beat up someones dream car cause it doesn't have the correct smell to it. If you want speed, a Ford f-150 would do better! But if you want to drive in style, I'd persue finishing it. It puts a smile on my face to listen to a 36 hp "cam out' at idle! Words from a landscaper trying to move up to the Porsche forum!!
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Let to take a moment to clarify my question.

If I wanted a 'performance' engine, the last place I would look would be to an 'old speed' (OS) engine like an Okrasa. I want to build an OS engine because I want something period correct, I want a challenge, and I want something faster/more fun to drive than a bone stock 36hp.

At the same time, I’m aware the finished product will be, at best, a well tuned 60HP engine, and I would like to avoid the ‘is this it?’ feeling when I’m done.

For all you OS owners, if you had to describe the ‘performance’ of your engine to a typical ACVW driver, how would you do it?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to 36hp, its a huge difference. It aint fast, but I can climb hills without always shifting. The Abarth gives the illusion of even more power. I would describe it as a much more comfortable and fun drive than the standard 36hp and worth it in my opinion. I think this engine will go in one of my cars until I am out of the hobby. Its awesome in my ghia and gives the car the performance it needs for the lines the car has.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

I like what Agave had to say! in a Nut Shell=he's Right on the Money!

It's like entering your own Time Capsul. stepping back about 43 years or so. Putting the key in the ignition, and knowing you have a sooped up flat four Okrasa with an Okrasa pumper under the hood, and that Abarth ready to let you know its Party Time( Or Judson in My preferance)! turning the igniton on smelling that Vintage Bug smell as she roars into existance of Poetry in Motion. Yep Doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. Eric (VMR) Cool
horatiocaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an okrassa in a Hebmuller. It was Awsome. The sound of the vintage dual carbs sucking air through the rear vents. The added power. It was like having a stock 1600 power band, but it was a vintage period engine.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okrasa same power as a 1600 at ten times the price.

and yes, I will be puting an okrasa into my oval.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Linds Oval Reply with quote

And Lind, we expect to see that oval on the salt some day.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: