Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Cabriolet help from a distance
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: 1990 Cabriolet help from a distance Reply with quote

My mom is in CA and I'm up here. She said her car won't start, but it will turn over. It's a 1990 5 spd Cabriolet. My brother looked at it and said it doesn't have spark. Any ideas on how to fix it? The battery is good and the starter spins. Unfortunately that's all I know right now but I told her I'd ask.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test for primary voltage at the ignition coil. If there is no voltage, the ignition switch could be faulty (the switch is now a common failure item on these old cars).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my brother checked the ignition coil and it had voltage. What other options do we have?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cabriolet and it would turn over and not start, had power to the coil but no power to the Hall sensor. I ended up replacing the distributor. It could also be a problem with the air flow sensor. There is a cabriolet specific site as well as the vortex that might be helpful, I am only familiar with my 93 cabriolet and my friends 86 vanagon. Good luck.

http://www.cabby-info.com/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=152
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distributor was the problem. Thanks for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: