Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inexpensive Side View Mirror Option
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregKnod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive Side View Mirror Option Reply with quote

So last wee I went to Pick'nPull ti look for any bay window bus - but none in stock ....... anyway came across a '72 Dodge van which had pretty nice side view mirrors - thought they might fit on my '73 Westy after some body mods.
To make a long story short, it was going to be too much work and needed holes drilled into the door (6 holes)!
So I took off the framed mirrors from the Dodge and from the bay. They fit very nicely with zero modifications. I'd say these mirrors have about 33% more mirror area when compared to the stock mirrors. Idea Smile

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/490810.jpg [/img] [img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/490813.jpg [/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/490812.jpg [/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/490811.jpg [/img][/img]
GregKnod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last wee I went to Pick'nPull ti look for any bay window bus - but none in stock ....... anyway came across a '72 Dodge van which had pretty nice side view mirrors - thought they might fit on my '73 Westy after some body mods.
To make a long story short, it was going to be too much work and needed holes drilled into the door (6 holes)!
So I took off the framed mirrors from the Dodge and from the bay. They fit very nicely with zero modifications. I'd say these mirrors have about 33% more mirror area when compared to the stock mirrors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, but I'd be concerned about overloading the screw-in socket in the door.

I bought a set of Hagus mirrors from the Bus Depot a number of years back and they have been pretty good. No rust, but the plastic died from UV so I reinstalled the glass with double-sticky tape and filled the periphery with hot-melt glue.
GregKnod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror body from the Dodge are really light. The backing is brushed aluminum, I think.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregKnod wrote:
The mirror body from the Dodge are really light. The backing is brushed aluminum, I think.

I'm thinking more of wind loads and people hitting the mirrors. The bigger areas and lever arms might pose a problem, particularly if they are tightened enough to stay put. The stock mirrors have a ball pivot behind them to allow them to give if struck, the mirrors pictured do not.
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- I just replaced my mirror glass today with a new piece of mirror. Used 100% silicone to hold it in. Got it cut by a glass installer I know. Cost me a Pepsi. Cool
The old one lasted 6 years and the silver stuff fell off one day! Rolling Eyes
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with the side mirrors myself, ESPECIALLY the right side! I agree, they need to have more surface area to help see more. I'm not particularly crazy about using those little self-stick wide-angle mirrors because they're too small AND they take up valuable space on the mirror itself Sad

For those who've had the same issue, how did you 'fix' it to your satisfaction? I really don't care about those who think the side mirrors are just fine* -- great, good for you -- you telling me that you think no changes are necessary won't solve my problem with lack of side and rearward visibility. I actually pass other vehicles and I also stick to the left lane when I can so I want to make sure I don't bump anyone.

*For what it's worth, I find all vehicles lacking in rearward and side visibility for the driver. Except for the Bus, every single car in my family has this rearview mirror:

The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the slightly larger and more robust Brazil Bay mirrors. Easy upgrade, mounts with the same bolt and gets extra support from the curve/beltline in the door