Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 181 Battery Removal
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Type 181 Battery Removal Reply with quote

Okay, I feel like a complete idiot having to ask this but I don't see how to get the battery out if my Thing.

On my Bugs the rear seat springs come out with the seat, but on the Thing they are attached to the body creating a cage type setup with the battery inside and I don't see a release or anything like that.

Now I was at the property that I keep it garaged at and my wife was waiting on me (Xmas Eve and we had plans) so time was short and the lighting was not so good in the garage. I know that I'm missing something or missed something but I don't see what.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'

1963 thrashed Baja Bug

1970 Baja Bug

1974 Bug RIP killed by an Oldsmobile. Almost killed me too.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 Battery Removal Reply with quote

You unbolt the battery clamp that is bolted through the floorpan and then slide the battery out underneath the rear seat support bar. If your battery is too tall to slide out then you have the wrong size battery (should be group 42 I believe).
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 Battery Removal Reply with quote

With the seat cushion out of the way, stretch the springs that are above the battery and un-hook them one at a time from the seat support bar. Then after the hold down cleat and battery clamps are removed you should be able to lift the battery out.

If in fact the battery is not the right group and too tall, make sure to use something to insulate the positive battery terminal from touching the springs.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 Battery Removal Reply with quote

It looked like my clamp was welded, but then again I had limited time and light and really couldn't dive into it. I'm not sure.
The seat springs look pretty taunt and would put up quite a struggle. But I'll try this week and bring tools when I go back over. I think it's the right size battery, somebody got it in, so it should come out.

It's a drag keeping it at another place but I have no more garage room at my place and it keeps it out of the weather.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'

1963 thrashed Baja Bug

1970 Baja Bug

1974 Bug RIP killed by an Oldsmobile. Almost killed me too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: