Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Roofrack Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Well done Scott! Love the winch too.

cmonSTART wrote:
Yup.. lots to love about that one.

Thanks, guys. Hopefully this warm spell will last so I can finish it up and get on the road. I'd add "and we can get together" but that will have to wait a bit I think, unless we all stay inside the buses and chatter on the radio Smile.

Stay safe.

airkooledchris wrote:

It's a great looking rack, and bus. Kudo's on using the recycled frames.
I hate to be the one to tell you, but you got just a *little* overspray on your windshield. Hardly noticeable, but worth taking care of when you get a minute Laughing

Dude, don't you know this is the latest east coast trend in windshield tint? If you make it so you can't see the potholes and frost heaves, it rides smoother!
Very Happy

Honestly, I get embarrassed posting pics with the windshield as it is. It is badly fogged\laminated and has a large crack. When I painted the bus last fall, figured I'd save masking time and just pop the old windshield into the hole instead of dealing with paper and tape with the compound curves. The plan was to install a new one after the paint cured, then winter happened. Fortunately, auto glass repair is considered "essential" business in my state with the current level of lockdown, so soon as it gets above freezing consistently, I'll have my PG guy get me some glass.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Got my rack finished for Hobobus.

It's 1x4 boards, half-height unistrut, and 1/2 emt conduit. Boards are stained and polyurethaned, hardware is mostly stainless. Clamps are quick-n-easy models I got at a swap meet.

I'm a packrat, so I had the boards in my wood rack. Had the stain and poly from other projects, and had the bright aluminum paint and gloss clearcoat for the emt in rattle cans.

The 1 piece of 10' unistrut was $15, pieces of 10' emt are like $3 each. All the stainless hardware was probably the most expensive but could have used regular hardware also. I used unistrut t-nuts for securing the wood slats. All readily available at the local Lowes / Home Depot.

Came out nice, I think. I could put eyebolts or lugs or whatever in the unistrut between the slats for securing things in the rack if necessary.

Hobo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

I like the drip rail clamps, what are they?
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
I like the drip rail clamps, what are they?

"Quick-n-easy" is what it says on them. I got them at the Stafford Springs swap meet a few years ago.

I think it's these. Availability new is spotty it seems.

https://www.nrs.com/product/3200/quick-n-easy-car-top-racks-set

https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Quik-N-Easy-Rack-Bracke...t_top?ie=U

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

From a '67 bus that my sister bought in 1974. Mostly used for carrying a Folbot around. Haven't seen any like this except on page 1 of this thread, aircooledguy's bus. His doesn't have the U-shaped braces.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

We have a rack we pulled off our old car before we sold it and would like to install it on our 1979 baywindow Riviera poptop.

The pictured rack is mine and I would like to install the square bars on the bus. I understand the feet will not work with the bus but does anyone use the Thule bars on a poptop? Which base feet work to screw into the side? Does anyone make a hardware kit for mounting Thule product? I see premade kits for Yakima branded product but not Thule.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
We have a rack we pulled off our old car before we sold it and would like to install it on our 1979 baywindow Riviera poptop.

The pictured rack is mine and I would like to install the square bars on the bus. I understand the feet will not work with the bus but does anyone use the Thule bars on a poptop? Which base feet work to screw into the side? Does anyone make a hardware kit for mounting Thule product? I see premade kits for Yakima branded product but not Thule.

Search for ‘artificial rain gutter’. There’s even a DIY on this site if you want to make your own, but they aren’t horribly expensive.
Do some measuring on those bars you have. You need fairly long bars for the Vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

The bars are 72" and are plenty wide for the baywindow, I see the rain gutter mounts those look like they will work well. Thanks!

Looks like I just need to measure and see what model of the gutter attachment I need, I see they make it in three heights.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

There are artificial rain gutters that drill/bolt into the fiberglass top, and there are rain gutter mounts that clip to the metal chassis, (and can prevent the go from popping.)

Which are are you looking to instal?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
There are artificial rain gutters that drill/bolt into the fiberglass top, and there are rain gutter mounts that clip to the metal chassis, (and can prevent the go from popping.)

Which are are you looking to instal?
Robbie

I see lots of people have good experience with the artificial rain gutters that mount to the fiberglass top.

I do not see many Riviera's with it however.

I like the idea of the very tall mounts that attach directly to the rain gutter on the bus but these may not work on the Rivi since the fiberglass sits in the rain gutter?

I'm thinking the way to go is the Thule 300R base with the Thule #542 artificial gutter, just worried that the fiberglass may not be as strong as the Westy variants.

Second choice would be the Thule 953 mounts if they would have enough height to clear the top on the Riviera? I think the height of the top is taller than a westy. I would mount one over the luggage compartment and one over the poptop so only one bar would need to be slid out to pop the top.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

This roof rack came with my bus - I don’t know anything about it. Does anyone know about its origins/manufacturer?

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Does the Thule 952 (20cm tall) with squarebar fit or do I need to go one size taller?
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Thule rain gutter mount with a squarebar cross beam that is the closest you can get to the top of a tintop without scraping paint off the crown or leaving a dent. 77 Deluxe Bus.

I've seen the 300R feet recommended, but it is for the aluminum wingbar. I was hoping I'd get more rigidity from their steel squarebars because I'm looking seriously at the Go Fast Campers Superlite rooftop tent (clamshell design.) https://gofastcampers.com/pages/superlite

This weights in at only 80lbs, but once me and a friend are up there to sleep, it is going to weight a lot more. So I'm trying to get the height down so I don't have massive amounts of wind under it on the road, but I don't want to be stuck with aluminum crossbars that are going to make me nervous about deflection every time I roll over in the night.

I've never been a roof rack nut with previous Buses I've owned. If I thought I could stuff the GFC Superlight (90"Lx50"Wx4"H) into a traditional all-steel 3/4 length HWE or VWoA basket, I would.

Suggestions?
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
I'm looking for a Thule rain gutter mount with a squarebar cross beam that is the closest you can get to the top of a tintop without scraping paint off the crown or leaving a dent. 77 Deluxe Bus.

I've seen the 300R feet recommended, but it is for the aluminum wingbar. I was hoping I'd get more rigidity from their steel squarebars because I'm looking seriously at the Go Fast Campers Superlite rooftop tent (clamshell design.) https://gofastcampers.com/pages/superlite

This weights in at only 80lbs, but once me and a friend are up there to sleep, it is going to weight a lot more. So I'm trying to get the height down so I don't have massive amounts of wind under it on the road, but I don't want to be stuck with aluminum crossbars that are going to make me nervous about deflection every time I roll over in the night.

I've never been a roof rack nut with previous Buses I've owned. If I thought I could stuff the GFC Superlight (90"Lx50"Wx4"H) into a traditional all-steel 3/4 length HWE or VWoA basket, I would.

Suggestions?

The 300R works with multiple crossbars it should be compatible with the Thule square bar.

The Thule 387 model or 953 will probably be better suited for that, the 300 if it does fit it will be close to roof if it does fit and would make mounting and removing the tent a chore, the 387 or 953 feet are a few inches higher giving you a little more clearance but it will be solid with Thule square bars under the tent.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
webwalker wrote:

Suggestions?

The 300R works with multiple crossbars it should be compatible with the Thule square bar.

The Thule 387 model or 953 will probably be better suited for that, the 300 if it does fit it will be close to roof if it does fit and would make mounting and removing the tent a chore, the 387 or 953 feet are a few inches higher giving you a little more clearance but it will be solid with Thule square bars under the tent.

Per Thule, 300R foot is only a 5" rise from roof rain gutters, not enough to clear the top of the Bus due to the lovely curve we have over the top. I have had the 387 foot recommended to me by someone who is actually driving it on their Bus. Unfortunately, Thule has kind of thrown us to the wolves: The 387 is out of production, so choices are to either find a kit still in the supply chain or sitting on a vendor shelf somewhere (it happens!) or on Flea-Bay or its like. Or fab. I don't want to fab when I should be able to buy standard parts off the shelf.

If anyone is running a 300R successfully on a tintop Bay Window, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

In the meantime, here's my grand diabolical plan: A clamshell roof top tent that only weighs 80lbs and has the same proportions as a Westy top. Currently being made by Go Fast Campers at a price so low, there is no excuse not to have it. But gotta be able to mount it first. https://gofastcampers.com/pages/superlite

Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

I found my Thule 300R setup on eBay for a decent price, that’s a cool tent setup we used a Smittybilt rooftop tent for two year before we bought our bus.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
Second choice would be the Thule 953 mounts if they would have enough height to clear the top on the Riviera? I think the height of the top is taller than a westy. I would mount one over the luggage compartment and one over the poptop so only one bar would need to be slid out to pop the top.

This is your best bet. You will need cross bars at least 50" long.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
McintoshType2 wrote:

We ordered the Thule 542 ARG and Thule 300, I had some feedback on the Riviera facebook group that this combo has worked well for many users so I will give it a shot!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
McintoshType2 wrote:

We ordered the Thule 542 ARG and Thule 300, I had some feedback on the Riviera facebook group that this combo has worked well for many users so I will give it a shot!

Good luck! I personally would avoid drilling into the top.
(sold - but not forgotten)
vintage water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

at first
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Jump to:
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: