Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

It was a rumor that got started like most rumors do with a pinch of truth and a bunch of "fake news" lol mixed into it. I heard that a couple editors quit, the truth part. Now the mag is quiting April 1, thats the fake part. Dont think it had anything to do with their traditional April fools joke.
My subscript expired around the end of last year, I didnt even notice for a couple months. When I re-upped they told me 6-8 weeks to start receiving mag again. Yeah, thats r e a l l y slow.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's an April fools joke. The April 2017 will be the last issue. Do you get it now?

If it is the last issue, I'll never get it😔
Rick Rothwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

People should consider subscribing if they do not already, we in the VW community need to do whatever it takes to keep the interest in VW's alive, if we don't there could be a death spiral for the entire community. A subscription is a cheap way of showing support.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Rick Rothwell wrote:
People should consider subscribing if they do not already, we in the VW community need to do whatever it takes to keep the interest in VW's alive, if we don't there could be a death spiral for the entire community. A subscription is a cheap way of showing support.

I'd be happy to let you pay for my subscription, since I stopped getting it about 10 years ago....
I buy Vw Camper & Commercial, from the UK, waaaaaay better VW Bus content, and the don't use the word SANO ! at all. Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Rick Rothwell wrote:
A subscription is a cheap way of showing support.

^ There are much better ways to support ..

I stopped my subscription several years ago.. Too much shiny and non real driver stuff in it for me.. Trailer queen and advertising mag mostly.

I decided to spend my money on supporting TheSamba.com instead
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php

I get more out of this place than I ever got out of any ole flashy VW magazine.. and I feel my money is going to a much better cause..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Rick Rothwell wrote:

I stopped my subscription several years ago.. Too much shiny and non real driver stuff in it for me.. Trailer queen and advertising mag mostly.

I get more out of this place than I ever got out of any ole flashy VW magazine.. and I feel my money is going to a much better cause..

Ding! ding! ding! ding!.........Winner!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Rick Rothwell wrote:

X3!

I said it earlier. Hot VW's magazine is/was simply stuck in the 70's and 80's. It's antiquated. Most of the editors were the guys who grew up in the 60's and 70's in the S. California area. I was SSOO sick of seeing yet another cal-look bug project or modified this or that VW. The advertisers who supported that magazine were all the pillars of VW parts crapola. Mamotorwerks, etc.

If they re-booted Hot VW's and kicked out all the previous editors and brought in fresh blood that can spell, proofread articles before printing and mix up the feature VW's to include all makes, it might gain some traction again. I don't however, see that happening.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Rick Rothwell wrote:

X3!

I said it earlier. Hot VW's magazine is/was simply stuck in the 70's and 80's. It's antiquated. Most of the editors were the guys who grew up in the 60's and 70's in the S. California area. I was SSOO sick of seeing yet another cal-look bug project or modified this or that VW. The advertisers who supported that magazine were all the pillars of VW parts crapola. Mamotorwerks, etc.

If they re-booted Hot VW's and kicked out all the previous editors and brought in fresh blood that can spell, proofread articles before printing and mix up the feature VW's to include all makes, it might gain some traction again. I don't however, see that happening.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ X 3,4,5 I'll support Samba, not as much bias conflict of interest.
thymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Rick Rothwell wrote:

Great thought and I just did the same. Samba has been a wealth of info for me and a incredible resource! Pretty cool people here too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

thymer wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Rick Rothwell wrote:

Great thought and I just did the same. Samba has been a wealth of info for me and a incredible resource! Pretty cool people here too. Smile

I give this post 2 thumbs up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

can a moderator please take down glens selfie....... I stoped years ago on the mag subscripts,too much fluff, all adds, no reporting, toomany go zillionare cars gracing the pages and they may not of even run. kinda like the buggy around hear that wills lots of car shows...and has to be pushed in&out of the trailer befor and after the show. how useless. after about 10 years of subscrpits...I gess i had enough. Ive bought a few at the book store or wally world when that had them. they did give me a year after they printed a tech article I wrote. go figure Im in print...Im published!!!! whoo hoo.... Rolling Eyes and think some people live for that shit.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

The Volksworld mag has a much better mix. You can stoll tell that their primary clientelle is the "rat rod" crowd....but they have a good mix of history, "found vws" from all over the world.....printing and material standards that make glossy well built car photography stand out.......and their "how to" articles are very well done and photographed.

Really HVW's could just have 50% of the mag dedicated to really well done how to articles.....and photography ....and correct photography is 9/10s of that game.......and not pages of pictures of too many trailer queen cars that are over accessorized......and pages of race stats.......and they would Probably get more subscriptions.

If you want people to buy a physical magazine....it needs to be full of visually interesting to stuff that they cannot more easily just pull off your website. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Removed
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

If i could go back in time I WOULDN'T Exclamation

Growing up in Anaheim,CA. and knowing most of the contributors to hot vws
as well as reading it monthly it's like any other thing in life. Time for the end
of an awesome time of my life and all i saw and learned from the many
contributors to that mag.

So,so many important people made hot vw's magazine an important part of
daily life there.

At 67 years old and having 16 original binders full of the old issues dating
back to the beginning i feel glad i grew up where & when i did.

When you are 17yr's old you don't look at the people behind the mag but,only
the contributors..

I had the opportunity to meet most of the staff and also most of the contributors too. All are Stars in my eyes.

Thank You for Hot VW's magazine.....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
If i could go back in time I WOULDN'T Exclamation

Thank You for Hot VW's (and Dune Buggies) magazine....

Hot VW's (and Dune Buggies) was great for it's time.. top of the heap for quite a while.... no doubt... but times .. changed.

New forms of media and clientele breed came on to.. into the VW "scene" after the flashy color paint 80's..

It all went down hill.. when the Bikini shots started disappearing... Laughing

In all serious.. its like anything.... keep up with the times.. or go the way of the Dodo..

Sad to hear.. see an end to anything great... but it's aged out..

Usually and often edited
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Has anyone seen/received a April edition?
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

What Mana said is 100%, absolutely, true and correct.
I won't name my source either, but if anyone remembers my place of employment from 2001-2005...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Has anyone seen/received a April edition?

I purchased April yesterday in the grocery store.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
What Mana said is 100%, absolutely, true and correct.
I won't name my source either, but if anyone remembers my place of employment from 2001-2005...

Hopefully the comment of it maybe being purchased is true.

Would hate to see the magazine die off.

I still like reading paper mags.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 29

Jump to: