Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this new May issue any different than past?

Same writers? Same style if magazine? Anything look new and fresh?

Or maybe they are using past writers info until the new folks get settled in?

Yes I see several improvements in the May issue. Most of the regulars are still working... Simurda, RK, Kirsten, Steve Phillips, Randy Carlson.... all present.

Quote:
The last thing I'm going to comment about is the visual readability of the magazine, ie font size and value contrast. I'm not as young as I used to be and it really sucks trying to read a tiny font that blends into the photo spread background on the page

Embarassed me too!!
The May issue fixed this long lingering peeve. Way easier to read. Better fonts. ALso the pics seemed to have improved, cant say why but they look better. Brownie points to the new guys for making a difference in their first issue.
@Hitest, you need to get cozy with Sandy Morris now. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Is this new May issue any different than past?

Same writers? Same style if magazine? Anything look new and fresh?

Or maybe they are using past writers info until the new folks get settled in?

Yes I see several improvements in the May issue. Most of the regulars are still working... Simurda, RK, Kirsten, Steve Phillips, Randy Carlson.... all present.

There were layoffs/rehires going through the ownership changes. Deano posted on the CLL that he has been asked back. Unless something has changed within the last couple of months, some good friends of RK told me he was NOT asked back. I guess we will just have to wait, and see. There definately needs to be some content change to keep me as a reader. If they are ditching some that have made the mag what it is today, that will be the last nail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I would like to clarify what was said earlier. I was asked to continue being a contributor to Hot VWs, as a freelancer, not as a full-time staff member. I'm happy to work with Shin with their new venture, and remain a small part of this publication. Dean Kirsten

"There were layoffs/rehires going through the ownership changes. Deano posted on the CLL that he has been asked back. Unless something has changed within the last couple of months, some good friends of RK told me he was NOT asked back. I guess we will just have to wait, and see. There definately needs to be some content change to keep me as a reader. If they are ditching some that have made the mag what it is today, that will be the last nail."

Last edited by Dean1 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Speculate no further and buy a copy yourself. It is a very fresh magazine. Layout and photography is up to date.

I didn't see a reference to the date (year attended) of the article on BBB- but when has the former HVWs EVER covered an event in print less than 2-1/2 months after attending it? I don't recognize a couple of the photos from last year- so I'm guessing it was 2017 unless someone else knows for sure.

I don't understand griping about a mag missing April. It was clearly a time of crazy havoc for all of them. That will be my only issue missed sine 1985.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Got May issue in the mail today. Cool

You better have gotten it since you were featured in it!

Congrats Darrel 👍

German Folks
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Still no April...

kind of messes up a lot of ppls collections...

then again...knowing some are out there is going to drive the price of that issue sky rocketing!!!
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Still no April...

then again...knowing some are out there is going to drive the price of that issue sky rocketing!!!

Maybe like that $250K 23 window bus!. I have an April issue for sale.... $10000.

Laughing

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
Still no April...

Maybe like that $250K 23 window bus!. I have an April issue for sale.... $10000.

Laughing

Put it on Amazon - there are always stupid people on there listing "hard to find" books for 100x the real value. (Or 10000x in your case)
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

OK, discount down to $9997. Wink

EverettB wrote:
amishman wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
Still no April...

Laughing

Put it on Amazon - there are always stupid people on there listing "hard to find" books for 100x the real value. (Or 10000x in your case)
Very Happy

Come visit my web site!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

No April, and still no May for me, very disappointing.
I have a subscription so I called and asked what happened to my April issue? They said "we are sorry it has been delayed". So i asked if it would be coming soon? They said.... "no, it has been delayed" Brick wall I asked if i would eventually receive it? They said...."no, it has been delayed" Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall I started to explain what "delayed" means but realized quickly that it was hopeless.

I can't wait to call back about May.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

If Randy and many of the "regulars" are still working there, why don't they push to help us subscribers get our PAID magazines? It seems as though there is no follow through for us supporters. There has to have been a mailing list, was this just thrown out? Sounds like it if they shipped out store copies before subscribers. I just tried to call and was shifted around to finally "Goodbye".
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Quote:
You better have gotten it since you were featured in it!

Congrats Darrel 👍

Thanks Stud!

For those concerned their collection wont be complete, I was trying to find more issues of May ( Cool ) at several Barnes and Noble book stores, they only had April. I believe stores get copies after subscribers copies are mailed...
I texted back and forth with RK and he told me he no longer works on the editorial staff but will freelance and try to do a car feature once a month. Very Happy
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

On page 21 in dean's post there is a email address for shin if you did not get the April issue, probably use it if you don't get may, I got mine last week, no April yet though, but I only emailed Thursday
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Shin(s) have announced to re-print the April issue for the current subscribers. You will receive it in the same mailing polybag as the June 2017 issue.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Dean1 wrote:
Shin(s) have announced to re-print the April issue for the current subscribers. You will receive it in the same mailing polybag as the June 2017 issue.
That's good news! I did just receive my May edition in the mail.

Last edited by Mark Evans on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I got my May 2017 issue in the mail over the weekend, just started it. I did notice that shin felt his relative's VW was either a 1973 or 1974 when he was a little kid; looks like a 1974 to me because of the seatback shape in the photo.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I have decided to re-subscribe to Hot VWs for one year. I had until 2013 when I let it lapse. Time to try the new mag and see how it goes. tj

Come visit my web site!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

This email was just sent from Hot VW's....they are re-printing and sending out April.
Quote:
Good Morning,

In the time since OCI Media purchased and published our first issue, the May edition of Hot VWs magazine, we have received a lot of positive feedback from our readers and the VW Community. The encouragement and kind words makes us happy.

We are aware many of you did not receive the April 2017 issue. We have decided to reprint and resend to all of our subscribers, a copy of the April 2017 issue which will be mailed along with your June issue of Hot VWs magazine in a few weeks.

We want you to know how much we value your loyalty and we hope to continue to be your number one VW magazine.

Best Regards,

OCI Media

Soooo.... I'll have 2 Aprils, anyone wanna swap an April for their May? Wink
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I picked this up today, they had several copies.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Guess I'll subscribe for another year. I was die hard from 87 till 2007. Nutt'n since then. Laughing Very Happy Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 29

Jump to: